Brillant de Luxe, an East Germany adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, May 26, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

An interesting acquisition. The brand is Brillant de Luxe. They were made from the 1960s though early 1980s in East Germany, in a town called Zella-Mehlis - which for you firearms enthusiasts, is also the location of the original Walther weapons factory.

This is an early 1980s version as the full black handle portion is plastic. The earlier versions, the handle was all aluminum. As you can see, it is an adjustable. I also found it interesting that the head resembles the head of a Wilkinson Sword "Sticky" DE razor.

These are very rare and nearly impossible to find according to a razor collector in Germany - which I didn't know and which wasn't the reason for buying it. I just liked the way it looked and that it was an unknown-to-me adjustable. It was only after my purchase that I found out its history and rarity. It's not even in the Waits' Safety Razor Compendium.

The Swish Stainless blade is from India and not an original part of the set.

1.jpg

2.jpg 3.jpg

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    How does it shave?

3. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Is the adj. part of the tto or is it independant in its function?

4. IAmTheJody

Awaiting its arrival in the mail, still. :)

5. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Razors from former Warsaw Pact nations could be a whole new area of specialization for collectors. Or razors from countries that no longer exist. It's been quite a while now, but I still remember my amazement as the Berlin Wall came down.

It looks like an interesting razor. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a good shaver, but a good display item regardless.

Ijustmissedthe50s and IAmTheJody like this.
  6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Looks nice enough, good find:)

IAmTheJody likes this.
  7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I can see why you jumped on it without research. That is beautiful! I've noticed a lot more Eastern Bloc razors hitting the market - I've of course had my eye on the straight razors ;)

Ijustmissedthe50s and IAmTheJody like this.
  8. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Interesting acquisition...

IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Enjoy!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  10. IAmTheJody

I was able to find a pic of an earlier one from the 1960s, with the anodized black aluminum handle and black adjustable/TTO knob:

4.jpg

11. IAmTheJody

Finally arrived from Ukraine today. The TTO knob opens the doors and lowers and raises the blade bed for the adjusting. Really neat design... but feels very cheap. I'll be giving it a spin around Jody-face Alley soon.

BrillantDeLuxe02.jpg

BrillantDeLuxe01.jpg BrillantDeLuxe03.jpg BrillantDeLuxe04.jpg BrillantDeLuxe05.jpg BrillantDeLuxe06.jpg

BrillantDeLuxe07.jpg BrillantDeLuxe08.jpg BrillantDeLuxe09.jpg BrillantDeLuxe10.jpg

12. IAmTheJody

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Very nice score!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  14. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Nice. I look forward to hearing how she shaves.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Really cool!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You know, I always wondered what would happen if a Wilkinson, a SuperAdjustable and a bottom dial Fatboy had a threeway. Now I know.

Is the adjuster independent of the TTO knob? I'd think it'd have to be but they look one-piece from here.

17. IAmTheJody

No, it's not independent which is why I think it's an interesting design. Unless it's independent somehow inside the handle, which I can't see.

18. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Are my eyes tricking me , your going to try one of your new arrivials. Granted I haven't been here long but this is the first I have hurd of you using one. :D I was starting to think you had a beard that touches the ground!

19. IAmTheJody

lol You should have a look at my gear thread in the Medicine Cabinet section... I've got 5 vintage Gillettes I use in my regular rotation. ;)

20. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member