Brillant de Luxe, an East Germany adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, May 26, 2012.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking DE, IMO.

Ijustmissedthe50s and IAmTheJody like this.
  2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Yes, that's one of the first things I noticed about it... it's got good looks.

3. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I was so interested in the photos, I failed to read the whole post. I just shaved with my new Sticky yesterday and got a great shave. How does this Eastern European "version" work for you?

4. IAmTheJody

It just arrived in the mail yesterday and as I don't shave every day, I'll be using it for the first time today. I'll be sure to follow-up here with how that goes. I'm going to be mad if it's awesome and replaces my Muhle 2011 R41. :happy102:

5. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Will be nice to see the shaving report. It looks very nice.

6. IAmTheJody

Well that's what I get for joking about this razor replacing my Muhle 2011 R41...

I'll be brief because I'm doing this on my phone with Tapatalk... Thankfully my phone has a slide out keyboard.

Started out with adjustable setting on #1, a new Voskhod blade and Proraso Red cream. On #1, the shave was pretty darn good but being an R41 user, I wanted more aggression so I bumped it up to #2 and it was just as aggressive as the R41! Then I bumped it up to #3. Super aggressive, even more than the R41 and too much for me. #3 was like using a shavette - all blade. Back down to #2 to finish off the WTG shave. Lathered my face again and went ATG the whole shave on #2. It was such a perfect shave, I didn't even need to do my XTG passes. My face is literally BBS. Sooooo smooth! It won't replace my R41 - although it could, but won't since I've shelled out the money on the R41. Instead, it will become a part of my rotation. I'll use it. Because... I love it. The Brillant is brilliant.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Jayaruh and gorgo2 like this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Remember my discussion of The Russian Bear some time back.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-rise-of-the-russian-bear.24462/

Obviously people in some of the old eastern bloc countries seemed to prefer a lot of aggressiveness in their razors.

This is another one that proves that point.

Enjoy!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sounds good, but how's the usual fit and finish? Is blade exposure even, etc?

9. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

For some reason the razor looks very familiar! ? Did the design and look travel East. The razor's handle and the bottom of the head look like something that I've seen from Turkey or with a brush from China....

10. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Jody, is there enough of a source of these razors, that I might find one for myself? Was this a ebay find and did it ship from eastern Europe? I've seen ads for lots of eastern European razors from Poland and Hungary and never felt brave enough to trust bidding.

11. IAmTheJody

I bought it from a seller in one of the former Soviet Union countries but it was made in communist East Germany. This particular brand doesn't come up for sale often.

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is difficult to get good quality units from the old Eastern Bloc countries. Jody, like my Russian Bear, you got a mint condition one and that is rare.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  13. IAmTheJody

Sorry folks, I've been on the road for Father's Day and while I tried to check in from time to time, Tapatalk on a 4" screen gets tired after a while. ha!

Everything is perfect on it. No troubles at all. Mechanics, alignment, exposure. It is of course a light razor being as most of it is plastic but I found that made it even easier to use considering how aggressive it is.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Jayaruh like this.
  14. Pain

Pain New Member

Hello ! An update on how is shaving with this razor? Thanks!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  15. IAmTheJody

Talk about a flashback, this 10 year old thread! It was an excellent razor while I owned it and used it. Wonderful shaves for sure. As a hardcore collector 10 years ago, razors came and went. Only a few really earned the right to continue in my stewardship. I really can't even remember who ended up getting this razor from me but someone talked me out of it. So alas, I don't have it any longer.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  16. Pain

Pain New Member

Thank you so much for the reply .

IAmTheJody and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.