Best boar under $30?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by chappys4life, Jun 6, 2012.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Saturate it with hair conditioner, really work it into the brush, rinse out after 30 min. If that does not make it better, re-saturate with hair conditioner and let it sit overnight. Rinse in the morning.

It should make it softer. It's how I break-in/salvage new and old brushes.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I found my boars really started to come around after about 25-30 shaves. It does take a while, but well worth it.

3. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

I started off loving my 830 and 620 and now i wouldn't trade them for anything. The first 3 weeks i used them daily even if i didn't shave with them that day i did use them to make a lather just to help with break in. They are my go to brushes for shave soaps.

4. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Funny....my Omega 10029 smelled great from day one....To all you cats who don't dig the 'break-in' time on their new brushes......My Omega needed no break-in....anyone else notice this ??

Queen of Blades likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    O.K. I've been schooled. Soak it in water for ten to fifteen minutes before use, shake it out and whip up a lather. Apparently conditioner only works on badger and old brushes. Best of luck.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Yep, same here.

7. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

my semogue's worked great new but have only gotten better. As for the Omega im sure they improve with age also.

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I tell you what, I agree 100% with apo1022. I got the SOC boar and it rocks. It still isn't broken in, I'm only 5 shaves in with it and I am in love :love055: I can't wait until it breaks in and the hairs start splitting.

My Omega Pro 48 required little break in, but since the hairs split, it is a dream, it's just too damn big (my only complaint).

9. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

With all the talking about new brushes, I've been looking into a new brush. I use the Omega Boar 13522. It is a very cheap brush, and only bought it because I didn't know if I would like wet shaving. The brush is well broken it and really like it. However, have been looking into the Semogue 830 and 620. The 620 is comparable to the 13522 Omega.

I currently have 46mm in loft, the 830 is 55mm and the 620 is 50mm. How much of a difference will 9 and 4 mm of loft make?
    I also have the Omega 10098 Pro and really can't stand the loft of that at 65mm. I feel like I'm putting a broom to my face.

10. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

the 620 (21mm) is a smaller knot than the 830 (23mm) also. I own both of theses brushes and enjoy both of them. The 620 is a good bit stiffer than the 830. the 830 also having a larger knot with more loft is bigger and more flexible. This is not saying it doesn't have backbone because the 830 has plenty of backbone for most anything i do. I like the 620 on hard soaps because of the stiffness. Both are good brushes and break in is easy. I probably use my 830 just a little more than my 620.

11. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

I had forgot I bid on a Semogue 1470 a whole back and won the auction today at $6.40 plus 5 shipping... I just bought a Vie-Long Peleon though ... Oh well it'll be s fun compare and contrast break in period.

12. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

stick with it , it takes a while to break in, my 830 took about 2 months to soften up fully, its my daily brush because it works equally well with either soaps or creams.

13. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Tweezerman. For the prices, can't beat the product.

14. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

Me too, for both my Omegas--a 1005 boar and an 11047 mixed boar/badger.