Pre-shave oil or not?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by wolf5150, Jul 16, 2012.

1. wolf5150

wolf5150 New Member

so, when I shave, it is always in the shower, and always hot. By the time I'm lathering up my shave cream, my face and whiskers are already softened and ready for the shave. I never bothered using any type of pre-shave oil, but I was curious enough to try it a few days ago.

The oil was AOS Sandalwood, and honestly I could did not notice the shave being enhanced in any way. I actually had to wash my face AFTER the shave because I could still feel the oil.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using pre-shave oil while wet shaving? If so, what are some top shelf oils?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    How did you use the pre-shave?

3. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I'm not a PreShave oil fan. Once I learned to get a great face lather I found I needed no other prep besides a tepid shower. Too much heat is bad for me.

Bristle Me likes this.
  4. Queen of Blades

Properly using a good preshave should do more than just enhance the shave.

5. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

It sounds like you used too much. You only need a very small amount, just a few drops. Wash or rinse your face and then rub the oil in very well. The oil will help retain moisture, it should not be visible or interfere with your lather. I've used it with good results, but I have not re-purchased any of them. I have used AOS, T&H, a few home made mixes (can't remember recipe) and a few others. Caswell-Massey (Caswell-Masochist) was the absolute worst, lit my face afire.

6. wolf5150

wolf5150 New Member

I just placed a few small drops, about a quarter size, in hand, rubbed in hands, then evenly applied it over my face.

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  7. wolf5150

wolf5150 New Member

Honestly, it was a small amount. I know a little goes a long way.

8. Queen of Blades

Did you allow it time to work, or just lathered on top right away, or washed it off before lathering, or....?

9. wolf5150

wolf5150 New Member

Lathered right away. No worries, I'm not so sure that I'll be needing it in my shave routine.

10. Queen of Blades

The preshave needs a few minutes to work it's magic. Preshaves generally at a minimum are meant to soften the hair. That doesn't happen instantly.

If you decided to give the preshave another try, let it sit for a few minutes before lathering and shaving.

11. wolf5150

wolf5150 New Member

Will do, thanks for the tips!

12. Queen of Blades

That's what we're here for! :happy088:

Let us know if you have another go with the preshave.

13. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Try a dime size.

14. wolf5150

wolf5150 New Member

I will, because I am curious to see if the same thing happens. Thanks for the tips!

15. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

i dont think i will ever go without pre-shave oils now!

16. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Congrats!

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Ditto. My husband & I both find them helpful. He says they soften the whiskers. I mostly notice a reduction in razor friction.

18. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

When I notice pre-shave oil helping is when I don't have time to take a shower first. It does get everything very soft. That said, I haven't used any pre-shave products in over a year.

19. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Ditto. It is a great shower substitute. A good point is made that it works best if one lets the oil set for 5 minutes. I try to do something else after applying it, such as brushing teeth. I also find it moisturizing in the winter.

20. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Question about the TSD pre-shave. It says to wash off after a few minutes. Is it really necessary or okay to leave on?