Hello from the Bay Area, CA

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by drewcandraw, Aug 2, 2012.

1. drewcandraw

drewcandraw Member

I finally signed up after lurking for the past month...read alot of the tips and watched Mantics Vids..

Had my first shave last night with my grandpas really old gillette super speed (just researched online and according to the serial number its from 1953 in the 3rd quarter). I went to walmart and just bought that cheap brush,bowl and soap set for ~9 bucks and picked up a pack of blades there to test.

I been shaving for the past 10 years with a mix of mach 3, 3 different electric razors and most recently a quattro. After last night's shave i was so impressed that i mentioned it at work and a coworker offered me a badger brush (not sure of brand but knowing him something decent).

Can't wait to pick up more tricks and watch more tutorials. Especially need to work on lathering and shaving around the contours. Happy Shaving everyone :D

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Welcome to the Shave Den!

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

4. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Welcome, drewcandraw! No reason you can't practice lathering again and again, even without shaving. Some may be wary of waste with something like that, but mastering your lather now will keep you from wasting lather (and your skin cells) in the future!!

Glad to have you here!

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    :signs011: It sounds like you are off to a great start, welcome to the den!

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den. Glad you're here!
    As for WalMart's "cheap" brush, bowl and soap set - inexpensive, yes. Cheap, no. VDH soap is probably the best soap out there for the money. That bowl will help whip up a great lather just as well as one that is hand thrown pottery and costs plenty. The brush is... is... um... well... okay, cheap, but some folks like it after it's been broken in.

7. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Hello and welcome to the TSD family.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den, I hope you enjoy your stay!

10. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Welcome to the den!

11. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome!

12. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

:signs046: to the DEN

13. drewcandraw

drewcandraw Member

thanks for all the warm welcomes, i think im hooked now, just bought some COB shave cream, some of that maca root from the body shop, some after shave and some lotion...

14. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Welcome to The Shave Den! I hope you enjoy your stay. I'm in the Bay Area as well, San Mateo.

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Mmm...Maca Root Shave Cream.:D I love that stuff.

16. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

Oh what a slippery path... you're hooked. Glad you're here with us though. You'll just keep enjoying it more and more. The guys (and gals) here are great and will be quick to help. It's a super forum. Welcome!

17. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Welcome!

18. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den :signs046:

Enjoy your stay here!

19. drewcandraw

drewcandraw Member

i think i should have been warned by everyone that wet shaving and buying goodies would be addicting....i just bought an edwin jagger since the deal was decent and could not pass it up :(

20. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

Ahhh. My first DE. Very nice mild razor. You'll enjoy it...then you'll be off looking for more. Soon you'll troll through eBay and local antique shops for vintage razors. The joys of a good shave!