Watches - let's see 'em

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Aug 9, 2012.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I searched for a thread on this and came up with nothing. If there's one, feel free to delete.

My humble collection - the other 2 are extremely cheap beater not worth the photo.

[​IMG]

Gonna pick up a nice black band for the Gruen this weekend.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

IMAG0078.jpg
    Sekonda Chronograph in rose gold plate with brown leather padded strap!!!

3. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I wear a Citizen EcoDrive everyday and its been a great watch.
    I also have a Gruen that was my grandfathers.

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. raag

raag Member

I don't own anything worth posting at this stage but I'm going to purchase a Timex Weekender soon - I feel they're such beautiful, simple, minimal designs.

[​IMG]

5. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

I do dig some of the recent clean designs. Nice, simple, and easy to read.

My wife got me this when we got married years ago:

514T7EQk0uL._SY300_.jpg

Now that I'm a few years wiser, I kind of feel it's a little too ostentatious. I prefer the reasonably-priced, simple watches now.

As a sidenote, my classmates in my graduate program argued that you could tell if someone was a little older than the others by whether or not they were wearing watches. Apparently, you're old if you don't rely solely on your cell phone to check the time.

6. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Practically the only watch I wear is a Maurice Lacroix Le Classiques

Elegant, yet simple and beautiful

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Ostentatious? Nah! About 10 yrs ago, I needed a new watch (I was in Tuscon Az doing Rocket stuff). I walked into Sears to grab a cheapy to get me thru the AZ gig. It was the biggest watch they had at the time and over $500 if I remember right. But, dead tired, I could see it without looking thru my reading glasses which I couldn't wear with safety goggles. Today, it's just a mid-sized time piece. Kinda heavy? Yep, that's a lotta steel.
    It's still my work watch every day and looks to out last me!

citizen calibre 2100

watch.jpg

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Or just old fashioned. I wear a watch because I'd rather not be joined at the hip to a cell phone. I take it with me, but it's not glued to my hand or anything.:cool: I honestly cannot remember the last time someone asked me if I had the time, and I wear a watch daily.

Now people judge your age by whether you check the time with a flip phone or an Ipod.

Smott and gorgo2 like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I don't think I'd call it ostentatious, but that style of watch is just nearly impossible for me to read...too busy, too cluttered. I have owned chronos in the past, and they're useful sometimes, but it's hard to find really simplistic ones anymore without going vintage (at least when I looked around, it was) or horrendously expensive.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Speaking of rose gold, this Kenneth Cole chrono was my fav for about 5 years (gift from the wife). Problem is, most of the muzziness you see on the crystal is actually INSIDE. No idea what it is but I can't afford taking it in to get it cleaned, so it looks crap, so I don't wear it. The band is now on that Timex above.

[​IMG]

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I've worn the same Gold Gucci my wife bought me when we were dating; everyday for over 16 years...It hasn't missed a second...my friends in NYC used to joke that the Naval Observatory used to call me up everyday to check their clock....lol
    Its simple with roman numurals, a second hand and date....One thing....I've always been notorious for tearing up even the best crystals...But this one has not one blemish or scratch...aperantly bullet proof...unbelievable...:)

12. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I know a number of people at work who basically use their blackberries to check the time constantly, I'm one of the few who still wear a watch - and they all end up asking me the time because when we go into a high security room where cell phones are forbidden...they end up clueless ;) I find it amusing, to be honest...

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I just don't feel dressed without my watch strapped to my wrist. The only extra "whistle" I like to have on my watches is the date.

jmckay0901 likes this.
  14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I'm proudly wearing my late Pop's TagHeuer. He wore it all the time, as do I. Will post a pic later on.

wristwatchb likes this.
  15. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Hah, exact watch. Mine's the titanium version, so it's a lot lighter than its stainless steel counterpart. I do appreciate the fact that it's going to last forever and I like that I never need to replace the battery.

Haha, well then I'm young again, since I've been grandfathered into a plan that gets me unlimited data/text and 3000 mins (+ nights/weekends) for $35 per month on a Galaxy S II phone. Without such a plan, I'd be sporting the flip phone!

Yeah, it is a little busy, which was part of the "cool" appeal a few years ago. Now I tend to lean toward clean, minimalist designs for aesthetic items as well as my preferred approach to possessions. Clean, classic lines never go out of style.

Haha, too true, too true! I actually appreciate being able to check the time without reaching into a pocket, pulling out a device, and finding the power button.

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm still chasing my unicorn. A reasonably priced WWII Marine Corps Issue Hamilton watch.

17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

As promised (it's on my right wrist, as I'm a leftie):

Watch.jpg

18. gregindallas

I have my Dad's watch at home. It's a Hamilton with a solid gold case. He got it as a gift from his parents the day i was born, that'd be 60 years ago. It still runs. I don't wear it much as I've gotten a little superstitous about it running. I also have my grandfathers watch which is tiny (as in ladies watch tiny) it to still runs but is not very accurate. The grandfather watch is French and square and solid gold also. If I remember right, the old guy was quite a "dapper" gentleman in his day. When I'm back home, I'll post a picture of the 2.

wristwatchb and macaronus like this.
  19. gregindallas

My wife used to go thru watches. Like I was doing well if I found one that lasted a whole year. She just never took off her watch no matter what she was doing. I used to suppect she was doing wet work for the CIA the way her watches were destroyed. I finally got her a Tag about 5 years ago. It's a good looking woman's watch and has stood up like none other. The kicker (for her) is when the battery needs to be replaced, she drops it off at our local dealer, they send it off to some place in Europe and it returns a few weeks later good as new, crystal's replaced, scratches buffed out - no charge. Tag's a good product and a very good company.

611M7UvCWmL__SL1000_.jpg
    I can recommend this one without reservation.

20. Larry T

Larry T Member

[​IMG]

Citizen Calibre 2100 Chronograph with MB 146 fountain pen.

[​IMG]

Hamilton manual wind.

[​IMG]

Zodiac Automatic diver.