Schick Krona

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ryan B, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Are these razors really worth it? I already have two Super Speeds and a Slim. This one just feels like it's calling me.

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Pick up the phone...

Switchermike and sol92258 like this.
  3. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Its a mild razor but due to the head shape IMO gives a closer shave then a super speed.
    I bought mine for a few bucks in the wild and it is still in my rotation today.
    If I did damage on the previous shave it is the first thing I go for.

4. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I enjoy using mine and I concur that it is a very mild razor. As a matter of fact, my teen daughter comshawed it for a while to use for herself. (I stole/ took it back when I saw her leaving it in the shower to rust!!!

Due to the geometry of the shave head, it takes some practice to get the positining right, but, I have never had a rough shave when using it!

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The Krona is the most underrated razor in the Vintage DE market. It has a fixed shaving angle due to the flat head which is different from the Gillette curved head that allows for various angles. It was a pathway to draw DE users to injectors based on the fixed angle which is similar to the injector (hint, hint). It was designed to give a straight forward highly replicable shave.

As SlipperyJoe says: Pick up the phone...

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  6. TheFiveO

Ring Ring...."Mr Ryan, You have a Mr. Krona calling on line one.........."

7. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

I've only been shaving for a bit over 2 months, but between the New Parker and the older Krona that I purchased, the Krona wins hands down. It is a milder shave than my Parker, and it often takes a little more work to get to a DFS, but the lack of nicks, cuts and other irritation make the extra effort worth it. I say go for it, and if it doesn't suit you, PIF it to someone else to try!

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As has be eluded to, the only way to know if you'll like it is to use it.

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

<sigh> Has it really come to this? Needing a reason to purchase other than "Oh... one I haven't tried yet"? :(

(Great info tho, Gary. Very interesting.)

10. TheFiveO

Not to mention you'd be made inherently more cool just by using it! Just like Chartlon Heston did in the movie Soilent Green

11. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'll keep my eyes open for one. I bet I can look at antique stores in Chicago next weekend. I don't really want to pay $26 for the one I saw.

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Soilent Green Shaving Cream: It's all natural!

(now available in brushless)

:shocked003:

13. TheFiveO

Check Fleabay...they are always there for cheap! That's where I got mine.

It's called Future Tallow!

14. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Ryan I would put a $15 cap on buying a krona ( I got mine for around $5) as you could get a slim or fat boy for $26.

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Good point! It seems to me that sellers have raised the price of any schick razor dramatically!

16. TheFiveO

There is one currently on sale at the auction site with a buy it now price of $7.95 (Needs some work)

Prices are all over the board so "watch" several and check the pricing as the sale nears an end. Just dont' get suckered by people claiming they are ultra rare and worht $50. They are just a good comfortable shaver that can be easily found

GDCarrington and awake2shave like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yes; just get the metal knobbed version if you can.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hey, what gives? This shave cream smells like Edward G. Robinson.

19. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I found one at an antique shop here in Houston, paid $6.00 for it. It's in decent shape to.

awake2shave likes this.
  20. TheFiveO

Darn too bad you already got one from another member. I just found this listing on 'bay.