Advice on open comb shaving - Fatip Grande

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by PBSax, Aug 17, 2012.

1. PBSax

PBSax Member

I'm relatively new at DE shaving and have been having good shaves with fairly mild closed comb razors. (Wilkinson Sword Classic - okay the mildest you can get) and a Merkur 23C. That's been my collection so far. I shave using Derby or Merkur blades. (I know lots of people dislike the Merkur blades, but they came with the razor and they've worked fine for me!)

I wanted to eplore the more aggressive end to see what that's all about. So, I'm now the proud owner of a Fatip Grande. Thing is, I was really looking forward to its arrival and now a bit nervous about using it!

The leading edge of a closed comb really isn't that much different to a cartridge razor. There's a bar, and then a sharp edge which does the cutting. But the open comb looks pretty wild in comparison.

I notice the Fatip has far more blade exposure than the Merkur, and the blade when fitted seems a lot more dished than in the Merkur, which lies much flatter.

So any advice on using it? Is the technique any different?
    The Fatip came with a pack of Astra blades which I intend to try.

I usually shave with Arko shave stick, Palmolive cream (tube) or Proraso shave soap.

I'd really appreciate any advice, or moral support!

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Use it like any other razor: no pressure, start with the head flat against the face and the handle parallel to the floor, no pressure, start your shave stroke, no pressure, lower the handle until you hear/feel the blade start to cut whiskers, no pressure, there is your optimum angle, no pressure, you'll do fine, no pressure, keep shaving. Oh, yeah, no pressure ;)

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I have the Grande and Piccolo and enjoy using them. Fatips are a tad more aggressive but a mild blade like the one's you list work well for me.
    Although the blade exposure looks menacing , in use it really isn't. I have a tough beard so it does the job removing beard effciently and as Steve said very light pressure and finding the right angle are keys. I have used many razors and I don't think the Fatip should cause any fear, just rejoicing in the fact an inexpensive razor can give a good shave. For me the only imperfection is I always end up with a little weeper on my chin, maybe trying to get too close.

Bristle Me and PBSax like this.
  4. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

No need to worry, although it looks like it may bite, I have never had a cut from the FaTip.

I personally love an extremely sharp and smooth blade in any razor, but find the the combination even more rewarding in an open comb.

The FaTip is one my favorite razors that I have ever used. Enjoy your shaves, when paired with a good blade and a proper lather, it is hard to beat.

5. PBSax

PBSax Member

well i gave it a spin with the Arko shave stick and results were pretty good. Needed a couple of dabs of the Styptic pencil but that was more down to unfamiliarity. I'm sure it'll become a regular razor with a little practice.

6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I've found, with the more aggressive razors I've used, I had an easier time...if I used one of the sharper blades....like a Perma-Sharp Super....And held the skin taught like when using a straight....The sharper blades allow me to use NOOO pressure and the sharper blade removes the whiskers so easily...

Thats been my experience but I'm sure...different strokes for ......(pun intended...sorry)

Congrats on the Open Comb....I love OC's....my favorite DE razor is an OC TTO....although the Senator is not really that aggressive...But its still got alot of the OC traits....like making it very easy to get a BBS that lasts til tomorrow....:happy108:

And I'm with you...I love an Arko Shave Stick....they're the Bomb!

macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  7. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

I have the FaTip Grande and like it--though I usually grab my Merkur 1904 OC. I use when my beard growth is a little heavier and my skin doesn't feel sensitive. It does a fantastic job and as others have said I try to not use any pressure. I also agree with using the sharp blade and skin stretching. For me it's better (more comfortable) than a straight razor with a clear shave (for me).

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I am glad you two posted here. Jazzers of the world unite! :happy088:

PBSax likes this.
  9. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

I've got a Muhle R41 and let me tell you...NO PRESSURE is the key! Think I blew through an entire styptic pencil after my first shave with that bugger! Oh yeah, watch your angle also.

PBSax likes this.
  10. PBSax

PBSax Member

I've just had the first great shave without any cuts or weepers at all. Highly enjoyable.
    Swarden 43: "You just gotta learn how to use the tools ya got!" I think I just might've started!
    (Though I might also inestigate some sharper blades... That's part of the appeal to all this isn''t it - the tinkering with shiny potentially dangerous bits of metal?!)

178-bplatoon, Hanzo and swarden43 like this.
  11. PBSax

PBSax Member

I've been looking at the 1904... Very tempted!

12. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

The 1904 is a great razor. It's mild, but with very sharp blades quite nice. If you can get a Merkur 11C, it's a great razor too. A little more difficult to come by though. Arley reviewed the Cadet from Shave A Buck and that is very tempting, especially for the price! Lots of choices.

13. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

That is exactly what I do with a new razor, or when getting back to a razor in the rotation. But it took me a while to get there - lots of trial and error until I figured it out on my own.

You put it so clearly and concisely, it should be required reading for all newbies - I wish I would have read your reply several months back when I started :)

Will

PadreTex likes this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Have you considered a(large) sample blade pack? That way you can try a number of different blades with the Fatip. Once you have a razor you like, you can consistently make a good lather and you know your face/beard isn't going to change anytime soon, the only variables left pretty much are technique and blades. :D

15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs011:

16. Gillu

Gillu Member

17. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

A nice aggressive Open Comb razor is the Jaws by RazoRock from the Italian Barber. It is the same as the Cadet open comb. $21.99 with a 25 blade sample pack.

Monkeylord and CyanideMetal like this.
  18. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I´m waiting on my Grande to arrive. A few seconds ago i ordered the Piccolo too. Hope that it will shave well. But what i´ve read it seems to be a very fine shaver.

19. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

The Fatip is great. It can be a bit wild but as soon as you get the angle right , shaves like a dream. Although I get a weeper or two with it far more often than with the Razzorock OC

20. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I can shave without bleeding with my 2011 R41. So i hopefully have no bigger problems with my FaTip.

The shaves can be gentle too or?