Simple Man needing a Simple Shave

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Big MAC, Aug 25, 2012.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I see only the handles are on sell now. You can go to the website and contact the owner by email on the site and ask when the heads or whole razors come out again and be on the lookout.

2. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Another option is to watch Weber's Twitter feed, linked to from their web site. That's how I found out when another round was available.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

If you guys make me buy a Weber....ARGH! lol

4. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Lol. I got it and it is a great razor. According to my technique and experience, it shaves like a smooth, slightly heavier EJ DE89. I didn't find a dramatic difference from the shaves I was getting with my EJ, but it does feel a little heartier and more substantial and it is a quality razor. It'll take a little more time comparing the two to decide which one I prefer outright. As it stands right now, I like them both. I can safely recommend a Weber ARC, but in a few months, I'll have a better idea whether or not to recommend it to someone who already shaves with an EJ.

5. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Inexpensive setup:
    Gem/EverReady SE from your local antique store - $7
    Gem stainless SE blades from local pharmacy - $5
    VDH soap from WalMart - $2-3
    Semogue Boar (just pick one you think looks good as they are all excellent) - $15-30
    Frank Shaving Finest Badger - $25
    Clearly Natural glycerin PreShave soap - $1.29 from local grocery

Enjoy!

6. lindyhopper66

That's a winner!

7. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den :signs046:

Enjoy your stay here :happy088:

8. theblindog

theblindog Active Member

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Lots of advice so far. I'll just say...

Hi! Welcome to the Den.
    Glad you're here!

And, by the way, there's no such thing as a bad day for coffee! :eatdrink013:

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Welcome to the Den......If you want a Fatboy....get a Fatboy....You can always pick up other razors later anyway...and probably will....
    The Fatboy is a fantastic razor.....

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  12. lindyhopper66

Big Mac, I just sent you a PM, but just to let you know the razors are selling now, as of today. Weber with DLC head, as in my above post(2 up) with photo.

13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

You came to the right place my man, welcome. You can't go wrong with a 50's Super Speed or even a Gillette Slim Adjustable. If you get any adjustable, make sure you leave the silo doors open when you turn the dial. If you don't, you'll mess up the internal mechanics of the razor. And ask questions, everyone here is real helpful.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

it looks like Weber Razors has the DLC back in stock. If you want one you better hurry. They tend to go fast.

I saw a post on another thread that said that the ARC won't be back in stock for 6 weeks. :(

15. Big MAC

Big MAC New Member

OK just bought a Vintage Gillette Adjustable Fatboy Razor with Case and the all the original paper work on Ebay. :D Posting pic below. Paid a little more than I wanted at $65.00 US, but it seems by the pics to be in good condition. Should have it in a few days and I will inspect it closely.

$T2eC16R,!y0E9s2S6c9FBQMYfpDJJg~~60_12.JPG

16. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

$65 for that condition is a steal IMO. I've seen cased models like that ship for well over $100 most of the time. Great find!

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'd bet what you had was a red tip. They were the heaviest non-adjustable Super Speed razor Gillette made. For a person with a heavy beard, they are an excellent choice. Second only to a fatboy IMO. If you enjoyed your red tip I think you will be very happy with your fatboy. Fantastic price. If you decide you don't like it, there will be about a hundred people here in this forum who would love to take it off your hands for what you paid for it.

18. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Nice shrewdness my good man.

19. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Congrats at a good find! Enjoy!

And Welcome to The Den, of course!

20. Big MAC

Big MAC New Member

OK, what are the best razor blades to try with the Gillette Adjustable Fatboy Razor? Also I need to get a prep shaving kit, any good suggestions?