Review of a hospital shave kit and a lesson learned

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Codfish, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Codfish

Codfish Member

[​IMG]

I spent most of last week in Hartford Hospital—ordered there by my doctor for weakness and suspected internal bleeding. On the third and fourth day there, I had a chance to use the shave kit they provided. What follows is a review of the shave kit, and more importantly, something I learned that I’d like to pass on to readers.

The Kit

The hospital’s shave kit included a Bic disposable single-blade razor and a .125 oz. packet of Dawn Mist shave cream, a brushless and non-lathering product of Malaysia. Although I had brought my R41 along, the danger of additional uncontrolled blood loss warranted against its use.

The Shaves

The shave cream seemed very close in texture and scent to the liquid hand soap in my bathroom at home. The fragrance was a mild combination of cocoanut and menthol. I applied it to my still-wet beard after washing my face. It was non-greasy and the 1/8 oz. pack was just enough to cover completely.

I have not used a disposable razor in many years, and found I had to re-learn to use one. Zero pressure did not work, especially given the initial three-day growth. I actually had to apply enough pressure to bend the plastic handle at times. But the light razor and light soap worked well together, and after a two-pass effort, I managed an SAS condition without blood loss. I have used the combination a total of three times so far with similar results. All-in-all, the kit was adequate for the circumstances and my risk of blood loss was minimal.

The Lesson

My four days in the hospital followed a two-week vacation in Maine, which was a wonderful experience except for the sinus headache I developed shortly after getting there. Being several hours from home, I managed my symptoms with Claritin-D and Aleve. When the sinus condition showed signs of infection, I drew from a relative’s prescription of Amoxicillin, which I had always been able to tolerate in the past.

What I did not know, and what a doctor would have advised, was that the self-administered meds would not be compatible with a blood thinner I had been prescribed, and that the combination would quickly lead to ulcers and blood so thin I would begin to spontaneously “bleed out”.

I was released yesterday after receiving transfusions of eight units of blood and plasma, antidotes and treatments to stop the damage that had been done. I will need a series of follow-up visits to assess my progress and to determine if surgical intervention is also needed.

I learned that no matter how inconvenient, the warnings to “check with your doctor” have real meaning.

Turk, 178-bplatoon and Switchermike like this.
  2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Heal up quick and fully, Jim. Sounds like a miserable experience. I'll be praying you don't need surgical follow-up.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Get well soon my friend. I never run to the doctor but sinus infections get me their quick,the sypmtoms are just so aggravating and you know they just won't past , therefore I understand your self medication. Some knowlegeable shavers used to advise that of all the disposable razors the Bic was the best to get for travel and what not.

4. Switchermike

Switchermike Active Member

Hope your health improves soon! Hospital shave kit ( shudder).

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Jim, since others have reminded you of the medicine interaction issues, I will merely say, welcome back and I hope your recovery is a full one.

Smoothy likes this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Sorry you went through that (both the hospitalization and the disposable razor shave) but glad you are back! Take care.

7. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Jim, welcome back and I hope you'll get well soon enough!

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

What a frightening experience! Having to shave with a hospital disposable Bic razor and Malaysian hand soap. :scared001: I'm glad your doing better,welcome back to the Den.

9. Falcon43

Falcon43 Active Member

Wow! What a terrible experience. I am glad to hear that you are on the mend. Thanks for the reminder to check with your Dr.

10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Damn Jim, you're lucky it didn't go worse, brother. I'm glad you came out on this side of the dirt. I really hate that you went through that but you can be sure I will heed your advice and not mix any kind of prescription stuffs without a doctor's direction.

11. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

I am not much for running to the doctor...But I do understand the concerns of checking with your doctor before you take certain medications. All the best in your recovery. And I did enjoy the read on the hospital shave kit. Happy shaving!

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Speedy recovery, Jim!

But, uh, "Dawn Mist"? Sounds like a product more suited to those commercials where a woman and her daughter are walking on the beach having an embarrassing conversation, if you ask me.

13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Get well soon, mate!

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It does, doesn't it?

richgem likes this.
  15. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I'm praying for your speedy recovery. I guess as we move up in age we need to be more careful of how we self medicate. ;) I know what you mean about the bic. I was staying at the William Penn hotel in Pittsburgh and they gave me a bic to use. What a weird experience and I felt I had to scrape with lots of pressure to get a good shave.

16. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Feel better and as we get older, sinus infections are many times an indicator of other health problems that need a doctor's attention and advice. Thanks for sharing this as it is a great warning for men especially who are uncomfortable talking about health problems.

17. PBSax

PBSax Member

glad you're recovering. Yes impressed that being so seriously ill didn't dampen your interest, and you continued reviewing shaving products!