The danger of alum blocs

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Uncle Martin, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Uncle Martin

Uncle Martin New Member

Hi,

I am a new comer to the forum.
    I wonder, anyone can hear the use of alum blocs and alzheimer relationship

thanks

Uncle Martin

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Short version: Different form of aluminum and a much bigger molecule than antipersp. So, should not worry.

Plus, the alzheimer's - aluminum conjecture has not been proven (correlation does not necessarily mean causality).

Switchermike likes this.
  3. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I haven't heard a thing about it, but welcome to the forum, Uncle Martin!!!

4. richgem

Ooops, welcome to the forum, too!

5. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I have not heard of that either. I use alum everyday, works great for me.

Welcome Uncle Martin to the TSD family.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have heard of the theorized relationship between Aluminum and Alzheimers.
    So as a rule I avoid canned beverages and antiperspirants. Popcorn has also been potentially linked to Alzheimers. Until or unless someone finds proof, I'm not going to worry about it. From Wikipedia:

"According to the Alzheimer's Society, the overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that studies have not convincingly demonstrated a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease.[81] Nevertheless, some studies, such as those on the PAQUID cohort,[82] cite aluminium exposure as a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease. Some brain plaques have been found to contain increased levels of the metal.[83] Research in this area has been inconclusive; aluminium accumulation may be a consequence of the disease rather than a causal agent. In any event, if there is any toxicity of aluminium, it must be via a very specific mechanism, since total human exposure to the element in the form of naturally occurring clay in soil and dust is enormously large over a lifetime.[84][85] Scientific consensus does not yet exist about whether aluminium exposure could directly increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease.[81]"

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den.

Sorry, I have no insight to offer, either.

8. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

:signs046: to the DEN.

9. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

:signs046:to TSD!

10. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

I would agree on both points mentioned here. Alum completely different than the aluminum in antiperspirants. The reason there is concern with the latter is this. We sweat for a reason. It's a biological process to remove toxins. We, creative human beings have devised ways to plug sweat glands to reduce body odor. And although this considered a benefit, the toxins cannot make their way out of the body and can absorb into the lymph system. Connection to cancer, alzheimers is is not conclusive. Personally limit my antiperspirant usage and lean more towards deodorants which do not clog pores. And the more natural the better. I am actually looking into making may own with coconut oil, bees wax, essential oils.

Switchermike likes this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

12. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I can't remember if I used alum or not today. ;)

kosby and Metro like this.
  13. Switchermike

Switchermike Active Member

Welcome to the Den! When I first read your post:shocked003:! I love my alum block. It's such a nice luxury to have during the early stages of this learning process. Therefore I must come to the conclusion that it has to be bad for you right?;)

14. tim613

tim613 New Member

Alum is used in water filtration, so many of us city dwellers are already exposed. I try to wait for proof of risk before I start avoiding things.

Switchermike likes this.
  15. richgem

It's also used in pickling and other food applications.

Switchermike likes this.
  16. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

Welcome Martin!

17. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

All I know is that an alum block doesn't taste very good!:angry021:Welcome to the den.

18. richgem

Oh yeah. But, it works pretty well on canker sores.

19. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

Ouch!

20. richgem

But, it's a good "ouch." :D