Cured from DE RAD

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by CatMan, Oct 14, 2007.

1. CatMan

CatMan Member

Hello everybody,
    I finally found a way to cure myself from DE RAD for good. My solution: I started shaving with a str8 about two weeks ago. Haven't used any DE since I started with my str8(s), no desire either. I believe I'm lost for the DE department of this wonderful hobby. Str8 is what I intend to use exclusively. I get shaves as good, sometimes better than with a DE, with a lot less skin irritation. :cool:
    Uhmm, yes my cure from DE RAD had just some minor side effects:
    I bought 10 straight razors, 4 hones, and 2 strops so far. Other than that my cure from DE RAD really worked, didn't it? :D

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  3. Will

Will Nevermind

SER RAD is MUCH MUCH WORSE!

You did yourself no favor. :rofl

4. CatMan

CatMan Member

I start to believe that you might be right. Just bought razor #11! :D

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Welcome to the dark side :p

6. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

You have some catching up to do. I have 18 of them now! Mike S. laughs at me 'cause earlier this year I said I was just gonna try it and see if I liked it (SER shaving) and now I am also a SER devotee.

I still use a DE on occasion. I was running a little late this morning, so I got a quick shave from my Gillette Fatboy, but yeah, I quit looking for DE razors. Now I collect str8s exclusively.

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Call me crazy.....but i like using the de for touchups around my Goatee. Its a nice easy way to manuever around for me anyway.......and to straighten my sideburns.

8. CatMan

CatMan Member

18, hmm? You do this longer than 2 weeks, don't you? ;)
    Just talked to my Mom. She found a SER that my grandpa used, who died in 1955. She's going to send it to me. That would be #12. Catching up, slowly but surely! :D

BTW, I'd rather go unshaved for some hours, instead of using anything other than a SER. Str8s are fascinating! :cool:

9. CatMan

CatMan Member

I see your point with the goatee. That may be a problem for a str8, at least until one gets the maneuvering right. Shouldn't take very long, though. I wear a mustache, which actually solved a problem. ;)

I trim the length of my sideburns (for some reason one side seems to grow always longer than the other) with a little battery driven trimmer that I once bought at Wal-mart for about 5 bucks. But straighten? The word itself suggests the correct tool! :D

I didn't use any DE while learning the use of a straight to accelerate the learning process. I think this strategy worked pretty well for me. :cool:

10. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

You got me there. I think it has been since April that I have collected all of these!

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I use a str8 to enhance the shave experience in combination with a DE. I'm not into STRAD yet. The ones I have are practice or startup razors. If I kill them, I'm not worried about it. I have many more shaving years in my life to get some decent str8s.

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I am rather interested in your opinion CatMan. Do you preferr straight razors to double edge? If so, why? What does one offer that the other can not?

13. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

The best shave you ever had!!!!! At least that is what I experienced. Using straights my shaves are closer than any shave I got from a DE. My shaves now last 14 to 16 hours sometimes longer before I can feel any stubble. But it is not for everyone. Some folks can not handle the blade or fear factor associated with it. Besides it is way cool and women love men that shave with straights!!!!!!:D

You'll find that once you learn to use the blade it is actually easy to trim your goatee. I do it every day.

Raf

14. JMS

JMS New Member

The cure is sometimes worse than the disease! I lost count at 70 straights
    I'm with Scorpio!

Except I only used a DE when I first started shaving!

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

16. seamus402

seamus402 You don't mess with Big Slim

12 SER's - Lucky!

17. CatMan

CatMan Member

I believe that the shave with a str8 is the best there is, once it gets mastered, which I'm looking forward to. Everything that was invented after the str8 is IMO a degradation from the original. DE is of course way better than cartridge junk, but still no match for the str8.

My observations switching from DE to Str8:
    • The time difference needed for shaving is negligible, if it exists at all.
    • The shave seems to be closer (after two weeks already!). Since I use the str8 I'm concerned every morning about not having enough beard to shave.
    • Significantly less skin irritation.
    • Most cuts and nicks heal very fast. More often than not a splash with cold water is enough to stop the bleeding.
    • The learning curve to get to the point where I got presentable results was not longer between DE and Str8 as it was between cartridge and DE.
    • Once you overcome the fear operating a potentially lethal weapon around your throat, it is a very cool way to shave. Everybody in your surrounding thinks you're a tough guy! :D
    Well, last but not least I like to learn how to hone and strop, and have a special interest in razor restoration.

18. CatMan

CatMan Member

I believe that quality in str8 razors is not necessarily directly related to their price. The Wapis for example are very decent shavers (not just my opinion!) while being ridiculously cheap. One of my favorites is a Genco that I got on eBay for 10 bucks. It was very easy to hone and shaves great. I don't think I will spend much money on a single "decent" razor. The tools I have now should be sufficient for quite some time. Now I just have to work on my skills to get the (for me) perfect shave.

19. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

OK...

Someone has to say it, so I may as well sacrifice myself...

If you no longer "use" your DE's, give them to me...

I know, I know, it's rough, but someone has to accept the responsibility so I'm taking the bold step and will pay for the shipping since I'm such a nice guy...

Sigh!!!, what one does for fellow forum members who have strayed from the DE path...

Just put them in a box wrapped in bubble wrap and let me know how much it costs to ship and it's a done deal...

You can thank me later...;)

20. CatMan

CatMan Member

How sweet of you, Oscar! I was in fact thinking about it, but arrived at the conclusion that this would sooner rather than later put you into the exact same situation, since I saw you sitting on the fence to using Str8. I wouldn't do this to a fellow member, honestly! :rofl