The Haul: October 2012

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Neolithium, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

:happy093: My TSD Lanolin English Fern and TSD Wheat Cream Lime came in today! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah boy!!!!!!! :happy093:They both smell amazing and I'm shaving today just because of them. The lime one smells exactly like the time I went to a lime grove and picked them straight off the tree. English fern is a scent I can't quite describe. It's woodsy, but refreshing and clean at the same time.

PLANofMAN, Azarius, Lyndon and 4 others like this.
  2. Gairdner

Gairdner Well-Known Member

I've got this beauty on the way. Not quite finished as the maker is a perfectionist but still, she's looking real good!

[​IMG]

I should say that its just the handle that I have on order, to fit my EJ head amongst others.

Mac, I meant to put in 5 blades. Well that's the Scottish education system for you. :happy068:

Norseman, the '89 is a fantastic razor in my unlearned and uncultured opinion. If ever you find it slightly too mild, a single shim woke it up for me and turned from good to great. You will not find better chrome plating on a razor period.

Andrew M, now that is a score. Great ebaying!

Lyndon, Smoothy and macaronus like this.
  3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

P1040351(1).JPG
    Got these in the post today (From ebay):), Welsh Tri hone set. I have not lapped them yet and wont get round to using them for a few weeks, as I have a Norton set on order and will be waiting for them to arrive first.

Azarius, Lyndon, GDCarrington and 5 others like this.
  4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I bought this NOS Bartmann High Class 7/8 (15/16) straight razor today at GrandDad's Antique Mall. I've read about them and saw them being sold for 400 dollars and up on ebay. The razor still has the original packing grease and box and tag attached that says Bartmann Solingen Germany. It shaves arm hair, so I will strop and shave. Bartmann.jpg

jeraldgordon, Hanzo, byrd and 10 others like this.
  5. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

I splurged and bought myself a vintage Hoffritz Slant. Oh well, I guess I'll be cursing once it sinks in but until then I'll be happily looking forward to the razor. I had a 37C and a 39C before and I am really curious to see whether the quality of built of those vintage rebranded Merkurs was really that much better as many people say.

Azarius, Lyndon, drewcandraw and 2 others like this.
  6. lindyhopper66

It sure looks great. I have a vintage Merkur slant and like it better than the new slant. The Hoffritz does look like a better quality made slant than mine, even though the same company made them.

If you get seller's remorse, I'm sure you could sell it for at least what you paid for it or more.

Smoothy likes this.
  7. Smoothy

Thanks! I admit, it does look good on the photographs. And I am curious to see how that plating looks in real life, some of those vontage razors seem to be coated with something else than the normal chrome or nickel, especially those with the 'white' handles as I call them. And yes, no doubt I would be able to sell it although at a higher price is a no-go for me (well, maybe on an online auction site but definitely not here on TSD or similar)

By the way, excellent haul there for yourself, that Bartmant Straight looks fantastic!

8. lindyhopper66

I think you'll love the slant when you get it. Slant's do shave better than most DE's.

Smoothy likes this.
  9. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Do this is anything but shaving related, but I think it's cool! I have a HUGE snail problem in my 30G tropical fish tank, so today I went and bought some Assasin Snails. Here's one. They measure maybe 3/4 of an inch right nowe and will get to be twice the size they are now. Their primary food source is snail, so I am happy to have the population reduced. Here's a pic of one (sorry it's hard to snap a shot without a flash, and keep it in focus).

Assasin Snail1.jpg

Monkeylord, Azarius and GDCarrington like this.
  10. lradke

This just in. My wife went out with her sisters and picked this up for me as a free gift. :)

uploadfromtaptalk1349743058593.jpg

Azarius, Lyndon, GDCarrington and 4 others like this.
  11. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

the-haul.jpg

Lots of goodies here! I like trying inexpensive razors and I sometimes give them away to friends. I am keen to have a go with the Lord Tech razors. The razor at the bottom is a 1932 Gillette Canadian Silver Tech. I will try it tomorrow and if I like it, I will send it out to be plated. The small black circular containers are shaving cream samples from Al's Shaving Products. The brush is a Vulfix 404 Grosvenor mixed badger and boar shaving brush.

Cheers, Lyndon

Ryan Bales, Azarius, Smoothy and 5 others like this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

100 NOS blades (for € 12.00 incl shipping):

TheHaul 2012-10-09a.jpg

TheHaul 2012-10-09.jpg

alpla444, Azarius, Smoothy and 3 others like this.
  13. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

I had a HUGE snail problem once with a planted tank. I was lazy and bought some plants from one of the large mego-market pet chains. I used 4 snails per 10 gallons of water and they did a fine job in getting rid of the pest snails, much better than any loaches I had used in the past.

Good luck, it is never fun having pest snails in a tank...they appear to be the correct species as well, as there are a few snails being sold as "Assassin Snails". That looks like a Clea helena to me.

lradke likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The mysterious white substance. I've read that is is a lacquer or paint, I've also read that it is a special plating with a high content of something or other. I tried finding the thread that detailed that particular topic with no luck. Hope that helps.

Smoothy likes this.
  15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Zombie cannibal snails?! :scared007:

16. Smoothy

Thanks! I've read something along those lines as well someplace or other, don't recall where. Oh well, the razor was shipped from the US, the seller even insured the parcel, which is very considerate, and it should reach me sometime next week. I'll have a closer look then and can't wait for the first shave!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. lradke

I think so too. I didn't know the latin name, but I am a member of Fishlore.com and those guys know their stuff, so after a few searches and pictures I knew what I was looking for.

I'm not too sure how the pest snails got in, I know one came with our first batch of fish, and that was it. We don't have live plants, so that's not the source, but yeah, all the little guys came out over night it seemed. I think the assasin snails are definately doing their job, there are fewer pest snails around (and man can those assasins move! The clerk said they were slow...no...they're not!). I think in a couple of weeks they'll be gone. :)

Pretty much! ;)

18. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

This past Sunday, I picked up this 1962 Gillette Slim adjustable (left) and this 1959 Gillette Fat Boy adjustable (right) for $3.00 each. Both in excellent condition.

The Fat Boy will be my "designer" razor as I'm going to send it to Daveof West Coast Razors for "replating" in black ceracoat with the adjuster-ring numbers and dots painted/filled-in in white and the neck-indicator painted in red. Should be interesting.

1959FBand1962SLIM.jpg

Here is a Gillette Slim adjustable in the black ceracoat that huck1680 had done by Dave:

CeracoatSlim.jpg

alpla444, JayPo007, Smoothy and 6 others like this.
  19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

My dad wanted me to post his haul. He got Jack Black Facial Cleanser, Molton Brown Cool Buchu Body Wash, Shaveworks the Cool Fix Aftershave, Jack Black Cooling post shave gel. He also got samples from Malin+ Goetz and Billy Jealousy.

20. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

It sounds like Pops brought in a pretty nice haul!

Ryan Bales likes this.