7am platinum blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by carsnoceans, Oct 13, 2012.

1. carsnoceans

carsnoceans New Member

Just started on wet shaving week or two ago... my merkur long handle came with a merkur blade which was pretty awesome. Besides that I purchased a 100ct of 7am platinum blades for $14.

My first 7am blade lasted me 3 shaves doing 2-3 passes on each shave. Might be a little too much but I am still learning what is the best way for me... along the grain, against... one along and then against.. etc. Anyways, today was my 4th shave and it was just terrible even in the first pass. Didn't cut very well and I am wary of applying any excess pressure.

Is that normal life for a blade? Just trying to get an understanding here on life of the blade etc. Thanks much.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    There really is no norm.
    Too many variables. The blade, the razor, the person shaving, etc.

Many folks simply change the blade when they feel any tugging or discomfort from the blade. Blades are cheap enough. No sense in suffering through a bad shave.

Monkeylord likes this.
  3. Falcon43

Falcon43 Active Member

Truer words were never spoken.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    :signs011:
    Just switching from taking a shower before the shave, to just splashing water on the face before the shave is enough to knock 2 or 3 days off of a blade's life. (for me).

5. carsnoceans

carsnoceans New Member

I didn't wait for any tugging or discomfort (this is only my 3rd blade). As I said before, I don't use any pressure to avoid cuts/nicks. So if it stops giving me a nice clean cut, I am assuming its done?? Should I apply pressure on the razor handle?

6. Queen of Blades

No. It's only going to make the shave worse.

7. carsnoceans

carsnoceans New Member

So i am doing it right?

8. Queen of Blades

By not applying pressure? yes

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs011: Your best bet at this point might be to get a blade sample pack. That way you can try a number of blades and find the one/ones that work best for your face and beard. :)

10. deoxy4

deoxy4 Member

I agree on working on your technique and do get a sample pack. Good advice. I will say that I have some limited experience with the blades you are using and they are the worst performing blades I have used of the 20 or so blades I have tried. I can get a good close shave from most blades but the 7 AM I could not. Do a search for blades that most people rate as good performers and order a sample pack with those blades to start.

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Sounds like you are doing what makes sense. I do agree that it is a good idea to get a sample pack. In my sampling phase, I also found it helpful, to keep a simple journal of shave quality and longevity for each brand. Ultimately, I stopped trying to make blades last, because even the "expensive" Feather blades I like cost 40 cents each.

Keithmax likes this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My mistake was when I tried a blade I liked I would buy 100.... then I would find one I liked even better then order 100. I wish I had more patience. What you like will also change with experience.

Given the price of blades I just toss them after two shaves. It is worth 20 cents to avoid razor burns and weepers. I use DE and wet shave for the joy of it so why risk a bad shave?

13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Using 3 pass shaves, the 7 a.m. blades last three shave each for me. I can get a fourth and fifth shave out of them, but those shaves are uncomfortable and not at all smooth. The majority of blades have the same three shaves per blade lifespan in my experience. Some will last for four or five shaves, and the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinums last twelve to thirteen shaves each. Others have reported different numbers of shaves per blade, so that is not written in stone.

You were very wise not to compensate for a worn blade by applying more pressure. Safety razors give very unpleasant results when too much pressure is used.

The others are right when they recommend a blade sampler. Nearly all samplers are just a bunch of blade packs put together. If you want, you can create your own customized sampler by buying a number of different fiver or ten blade packs and trying them out.