Dog Lovers

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Ryan B, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I've always loved dogs, but my family is more inclined to cats. Ever since I was little, I always wanted a dog of my own. My mom got her two toy poodles and I was certain I wanted my own dog. Tell about your dogs here and what you like.

My favorite breeds are:

1. Golden Retrievers
    2. German Shepherds
    3. Chiweenies
    4. Border Collies
    5. good old fashioned mutts.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I love dogs.
    Our last dog was a sheltie. Super smart. Had to put him down after 13 years of unconditional love and loyalty. If and when we decide it's time to get another dog, it will be another sheltie.

PanChango, Ryan Bales and DLP like this.
  3. Ryan B

I like those dogs too. They're so friendly and energetic. That's what I like, something not too big, but with enough energy that I can take it on a run. My mom's two toy poodles are hard not to love too, even though I usually don't like poodles.

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Used to have a nice big Lab....but we had to send her to a farm where she had more room after we moved - has a better life chasing cows now. Now we have a Pomeranian lol. Never thought I'd like the midget dogs but she's just so adorable.

crackstar, PanChango and Ryan B like this.
  5. Ryan B

Lol I have the same attitude with my mom's toy poodles. They actually think my mom is their mom and the older one thinks she was there before me since I was deployed when she got her.

crackstar likes this.
  6. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

My parents had three doberman pinschers through out my childhood. There house was in the woods and away from town. Absolutely brilliant dogs. Made for entertaining playmates. Many great memories of them. When SWMBO and I finally agree on a house it will be straight to the SPCA to get our first dog. Dobermans are a rare find there. She wants a boxer. My second pick would be a female american staffordshire terrier "pit bull." I would be happy with any dog with a brindle coat though.

PanChango and Ryan Bales like this.
  7. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

We always had beagles when I was growing up. I like beagles , but the best dog I ever owned was a Keeshond. She was loyal and incredibly smart. We have a pair of beagle terrier mix dogs right now. They are about 13 years old, when they go I would like our next dog to be a Keeshond.

Moe, PanChango and Ryan B like this.
  8. Ryan B

My grandpa had beagles and used them for hunting. Later on, he got some coon dogs.

9. Robert Voss

Robert Voss Well-Known Member

I have a black lab, 13 yrs old, but still thinks he is a puppy. My daughter has a black chihuahua weiner mix that lookks like a miniature black lab.

PanChango likes this.
  10. R33F

R33F Well-Known Member

I have had several dogs. My parents were given a dog as a gift for me when I was 18 months old. So with the exception of while travelling over seas, I have always have been lucky enough to always have a four legged companion.

The last couple of dogs have been rescue / pound dogs. I picked up a Staffie Cross from a shelter a few years ago. He had been through alot before I got him (had the scars to prove it). For the last few years of his life, I had the pleasure of making sure were as enjoyable as possible. He loved swimming at the beach and travelling on the tray of the ute (pick-up). He loved kangaroo mince. After 7 years, his photo is still (and will remain) in the sitting room where I can see it.

We currently have a Parsons Jack Russell Terrier that we got when someone else didn't want him. Had him 5 years. I love the terrier traits & tenacity that this breed has.

We also have a 12 month old Blue Cattle Dog / Bull Arab cross (my avatar) who had 3 homes in three months before she came to us. She is a big pup 38kg (84lbs), but still amazingly gentle around the kids.

They are both fantastic dogs in their own way.

No favourites as I am, & have been attached to all my dogs. :)

PanChango and Ryan Bales like this.
  11. Ryan B

I've always been partial to Labs, Retrievers. They're what my extended family had. They were protective but not mean. They are also something that can run with me and something I can train to hunt.

12. KLF

KLF Doctorin

We have an boxer, she is around 11yrs old. I didn't grew up with pets at all so when my wife wanted to take her I was a little bit afraid. However, I quickly found out what a terrific dog the boxer is. My kids love her. From now on, I cannot see myself without a boxer friend around

PanChango and crackstar like this.
  13. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

Yeah we used them as rabbit dogs, but there were a couple that were more like family than just hunting dogs.

14. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Come on, guys, this thread need pictures!!

We had a mutt when I was growing up. We didn't train it very well and it was a PIA type of dog. That kept me from wanting a dog until the chance to get this lab came up. I bought Kody from my cousin in South Dakota, who had bred his bitch with a titled dog with great lines. The result was a fantastic, obedient hunting dog and companion. We take him pheasant hunting in SoDak twice a year and he's greatly increased our success. The dog lives for hunting and I swear he goes into a depression for a couple months when hunting season is over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keithmax, ohpaos, Azarius and 6 others like this.
  15. Ryan B

That's a beautiful dog Pat. I've always wanted to pheasant hunt, but there are hardly any left in Illinois.

16. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

Hmm, I guess I have favorites in different sizes.

Big : German Shepherd
    Medium: English Springer Spaniel
    Small: American Rat Terrier

I've lived with all three types of dogs and I love them all for different reasons.

PanChango likes this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

18. maxpower

maxpower Member

I love dogs too!

We have a Cairn Terrier (Scottish) and Glen of Imaal Terrier (Irish). We have had the Cairn for almost 7 years now. He has been a great addition to our family. We just got the Glen a month ago. She is just a pup. We plan on showing and breeding her when she is old enough.

PanChango likes this.
  19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I am a dog lover since I'm a young kid. We've always a dog in the house. Now, we have a gigantic German Shepherd who's 4 years old, and our 6 year old daughter is the love of his life. Those two are so crazy about each other that it's unreal. He sleeps in her bedroom every night at the side of her bed, and when she wakes up, he kisses her good morning! He's a beautiful animal, weighing 125 pounds, 30 inches tall, with a long body and perfect confirmation. He's very well-behaved, although he gets very aggressive when he sees other dogs.

20. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

My liitle girl Miss Lulu went to the groomer today. I think she looks adorable with her pink crystal earrings and sparkly ribbon bow. I know many don't get how a 300lb guy can like be so in love with a 3lb dog, but she as stone my heart.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul Turner, ohpaos, fishcrow and 2 others like this.