The "what is" and " how to" thread for the Rolls Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gregindallas, Mar 10, 2011.

1. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

Just exactly what I have been waiting for.
    This will rank right up there with Shakespeare and Kipling.
    Thanks in advance.

I have an Imperial #2.
    I have tried almost everything but am still not getting as comfortable or close a shave as I would like.

Now. To school.

Mickey

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You can flatten the hone, but that will change the honing angle. Normally I would suggest flipping the stone, but that has already been done. Your only option at this point is to replace the hone or learn to hone the rolls blade by hand on a regular razor hone (which I would suggest getting anyway, if only for your straight razor). If you still want to flatten your stone, get some lapping film and find a nice thick piece of glass to use as a table. (Google "lapping a hone" or "how to lap a hone").

Not Telling likes this.
  3. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

I have never flattened a hone and don't know much about it.
    However, I can understand why the angle will be increased.
    Could that be remedied by simply placing a piece of paper or some other material of appropriate thickness under the hone?

Mickey

Not Telling likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I bet that would work.

Not Telling likes this.
  5. Gairdner

Gairdner Well-Known Member

What a fantastic thread! I have come across these on eBay while looking for vintage DE and thought these were weird and so not for me. Thank you for the education and when funds allow, I mght just try one. Priceless information.

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Rolls are great shavers. You just might enjoy 'em! ;)

Gairdner likes this.
  7. Rob72

Rob72 Member

Gentlemen, a couple of suggestions:

Regarding hones, if you find another individual or two, to split the cost, you can cut a Smith's Arkansas stone lengthwise 2-3 times, to do a factory replacement. Renting a diamond-blade tile saw might be a convenient way to go, although you'll have to lap yourself, after sectioning.

You can also check locally for a local gemology club, or wire-wrapping/lapidary jewelry makers, who might section and flatten your hones for a reasonable fee.

Rickc, macaronus and Not Telling like this.
  8. alammo

alammo New Member

Dear All

I had never heard of or seen a Rolls Razer until last Wednesday when I saw one in the window of a local charity shop. I ended up buying it mainly out of curiosity and spent a happy half hour working out how it works. I think these razors are a fantastic piece of design and am completely hooked.

Turns out I have a Viscount with a spare blade in a bakelite box. It came with the original box but no instructions or documentation. It was in decent condition but looks much nicer after applying the restoration tips in this marvelous forum (many thanks to all). All in all I am very pleased with my £5.99 worth. I have shaved 3 times with it, each shave is better than the last. I guess its the combination of stroping/honing and learning better technique.

Did I mention I was hooked? Bought 2 more off ebay today, an Imperial No2 and one with a dimpled case in a red box. Needless to say my wife thinks all this is insane and of course she is correct but hey its cheap fun and enjoyable (and so is the razor).

Happy Shaving and Regards to All

9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great going, Alammo! Congrats on a great find (and another AD! :D)

10. newb

newb Resident Newb

Once a Rolls is sharpened and stropped properly, it is an excellent shaver.

macaronus likes this.
  11. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I've got one of these on the way and I'm sure I will be visiting this thread often.

12. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I have one on the way as well.

13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:happy096:

You will be assimilated... :signs136:

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Given how relatively little they can be purchased for and how long they can last, a well-maintained Rolls is hands down the most cost effective option in the entire safety razor multiverse.

If you know anything about Marvel comics, I consider the Shake Sharp to be the Ultimate Nullifier of safety razors: excellent at the one thing it does (erasing whiskers from existence) but now somewhat limited by blade choice and possibly by hone condition.

Any good SE razor, coupled with a good blade, is the Cosmic Cube - a more versatile and potent weapon that will perform as well as you could ever want IF you learn its secrets.

But a Rolls in good shape is the equivalent of the fully jeweled Infinity Gauntlet - totally unsurpassed and incomparable, but relatively few shaving beings have the willpower to wield and maintain it properly (I don't, not fully).

This concludes your Stupid Analogy of the Day.

WolfBrother8, newb, macaronus and 3 others like this.
  15. alammo

alammo New Member

My Dear Shavemeisters

Following the useful pointers in this forum I have cleaned up a couple of rolls and managed to get the blades back to a shaving sharpness. While cleaning the unit and once you have coaxed the friction sleeve from the roller (and removed the pin the blade locks on) If you want to get the friction lining out of the friction sleeve I found that it came away easily if you warmed the assembly with a hairdryer. A good clean of all the friction components meant that on reassembly I got an increased pressure/resistance when honing the blade. I also found it much better to hone the blade with the guard removed from the blade. Gentler on the hone and guarantees a true contact with the blade.

The last two shaves have felt and looked closer than I get with one of those new fangled gizzmo’s with a disposable blade.

The technique to shave with a rolls is a little different to my old razor, mainly due to the angle that the blade works best at. Like most things it gets better with a little practice. Is it just me or can you hear when you get it right? The blade seems to make a distinct ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip as it works through my stubble.

Best regards to all

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My user grade Rolls is in usable shape overall but the blade edge is going to need some work...it's sharp enough to shave but I know from past Rolls I've had that it could shave closer. This one's only giving me DFS+ right now.

Is there anyone here who has gone all out and shaves with the safety bar removed?

17. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I don't have it yet, but here's mine

[​IMG]

18. alammo

alammo New Member

Have taken the bar off so I can to see what i'm doing on the fiddly bits. Was thinking about trying an all over but wasn't drunk enough to continue.

19. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I haven't tried to pry off the safety bar yet, and I don't think I will. Too fidgety for me with a sharp edge close by... :scared007:

(BTW, Pat: looks like it's in great condition! Congrats!)

5Savages likes this.
  20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I just received a Rolls Razor called "The Traveler" by the seller. Does anyone have any info on it by any chance? I haven't fooled with it yet,but it looks to be in pretty good condition. Any info will be appreciated...:)