The Haul: October 2012

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Neolithium, Sep 30, 2012.

1. R33F

R33F Well-Known Member

My Dad decided it's time to pass to me his collection of razors. A few he has used. Alot he has collected. They are all special because they come from him to me (even the 60's Techmatic). There is a few Gems, several Valet Auto-strops & of course his favourite Gillettes.

There is a 1917 Canadian Service Set Razor (on the Bakalite container).

A 50's Aristocrat which I will clean & hopefully try out.

A 7'o'clock, which I think is 30's ?

Another Gillette with a patent on it that I will hopefully get some idea of soon.

There is alot of cleaning to be done. So here is a couple until I can get everything unpacked, cleaned & into a cabinet:

Attached Files:

battle.munky, KLF, Lyndon and 7 others like this.
  2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Well, it won't let me upload the picture, but I got my Floid Blue in the mail today.

Edit: Oh and also, I was runner up for a PIF on The Shave Nook and got some Key Lime KMF. Smells pretty good.

KLF, Lyndon, macaronus and 1 other person like this.
  3. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I had a couple packages come in this past week. First was a package from Avon. With a great sale on their ASBs and free shipping, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try them out. For 4 tubes I paid $6.50 delivered. Two tubes of the Black Suede Leather and 1 each of the Black Suede and the Mesmerize. The scent of the Black Suede Leather is really nice. Not sure if I like the other two though. I have not used them long enough to know if I like the performance yet.

The other package contained:

Gillette Travel Tech, with case - L2 code (1966)
    Gillette NEW - the reason I bought this lot
    Gillette Superspeed, black tip - X2 code (1952)
    Gillette Slim Adjustable - N2 code (1968)

Three of the razors are pretty gross. I'm going clean them right away just to get the point where I don't mind handling them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

battle.munky, Lyndon, Azarius and 5 others like this.
  4. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

The finish of almost all Soviet razors is not so good, I've seen warped blades too (I own a Vostok razor with such warped blade), but they are nice shavers. The Narrow (Узкая) was a cheap model in soviet time, but I've seen some razors of that brand been in excellent shape, both in terms of finish and sharpness. A nice score!

alpla444 likes this.
  5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Thanks I was looking for something half good that I can practise to hone on.:).
    I have no experience of russian straights thanks for the info.

Asd likes this.
  6. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

There you go, Lyndon, hope you have a box of tissues at the ready in case you start drooling uncontrollably as I did when I unpacked it ;):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. newb

newb Resident Newb

wow, some great hauls this week. The Hoffritz slant makes my knees shake. It still has the white knurling. Nice very nice.

macaronus and Smoothy like this.
  8. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

The tricky part of Russian made razors is the steel, IMHO. Many different steels were used for different brands. I have a stainless steel TRUD razor that I still cannot hone properly because of the hardness of the steel and I have that Vostok I mentioned, that is my practice razor (not in rotation, because I'm making experiments on it permanently) and it is quite soft in terms of honing. Nice score, anyway! Would you like to make a review of it after honing?

9. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Just in time for Shave Stick Week:

DSC_4351.JPG

10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Lyndon's super cheap PIF arrived (to be used during cheap week, december 10-17). Thanks mate!
    Should I wait until december?

the haul 2012-10-24.jpg

Smoothy, alpla444, Ryan Bales and 4 others like this.
  11. newb

newb Resident Newb

Be careful if you try out that baby. When I tried a super click, I found myself applying too much pressure to compensate for the lack of weight , so much that I took a total blood bath. Don't let the weight of it fool you there is still a razor blade in there. Good luck and have fun.

IMHO, the AVON After shave conditioner is one of the BEST ASB's available. It doesn't seem to get much love from fellow shavers, but it is one awesome unknown product.

Lyndon likes this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Thanks for the heads-up!

13. drewcandraw

drewcandraw Member

Went to NY last week and did not know there was an art of shaving shop there. After the manager spent a long time trying to upsell my everything i was looking at, i ended up with the sandlewood pre-shave oil. it is a pretty penny but im pretty sure it will last a while for me.

Tried it 2 days in a row and have to say i feel like its doing more for my shave and my own feelings are what counts haha...on a sad note i left my straight razor unoiled and came back to rust :(

pics up later tonight

14. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

That just gave me a chubby, I know to much information but that is one beautiful slant!!!

Latherman87, Lyndon and Smoothy like this.
  15. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

Wow, what a great looking razor! Congrats on your find. Thanks for the photos. :)

Smoothy likes this.
  16. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

Well... I am guessing that you may not be accustomed to having to wait to use a razor so I understand if you crack under the pressure. :D On the other hand, it might be cool to get your very first impressions on this razor during cheap week. (I know... I am not helping, LOL!)

macaronus likes this.
  17. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

Second Haul for October...
    the-haul-3.jpg

Okay, I have a problem, LOL!! I say that half joking but the reality is that living in Hong Kong, I have a shipping problem. Shipping costs can vary between $35 and $60 for a typical pack of goodies. On top of that, most online vendors will not ship after shaves. So I decided to get some things delivered to my hotel in San Francisco. The two razors are Cadet razors, one has a safety bar and the other is open comb. I think most of you can identify the products here but some of the more interesting products are:
    • Alt Innsbruck 66 60 cologne (to be used as ASL) - Austria
    • No. 4711 Original ASL - Germany
    • Barbon ASL - Hungary
    • Figaró ASL - Hungary
    • Small Merkur moustache / touch-up razor
    • AOS's new pre-shave oil
    I will start to slow down a bit because my medicine cabinet has reached maximum capacity. I will be doing "fall cleaning" soon and I will be giving away quite a few items on the freebies thread so keep an eye out. Yeah! Free stuff!! :happy093:

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts in this thread. Have a great day all, I am off to shave.

Best Regards, Lyndon

Smoothy, R33F, Asd and 7 others like this.
  18. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Well, at least you'll be well shaved unlike your fellow people on Hong Kong.:cool:

Lyndon likes this.
  19. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

Thanks Ryan, I should be "cooler" too. :) All of the after shaves I bought contain menthol except No. 4711. I will try to slow down on the purchases for a while until I use up some product.

20. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

Thanks for that newb, I will add the Avon ASB to my list of "interesting shave products". Cheers, Lyndon