My First Hurricane...

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by swarden43, Oct 28, 2012.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

and I'm not looking forward to it.

Sandy's getting ready to slam right over the top of us. I'm in NJ, right across the river from Philly, almost dead center of the projected path.

We're ready, though, and will take it as it comes. What else can you do?

"...giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ"

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Living in Florida we have the spector of those things on our minds June through November. Keep safe and hunker down for the ride it will get windy. It's a shame this storm is coming just as the holiday season gets going.

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I'm in Staten Island, NY. I have put the bonsai trees on the ground, folded up the deck furniture and laid it flat. (I've done this before and it has worked.) Now I am just praying that our crazy mayor has the good sense to close the schools tomorrow.

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Quick Steve! Start hoarding moustache wax! :D

And everyone stay safe.

sol92258 and swarden43 like this.
  5. swarden43

:happy102: Thanks!

6. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Historically I believe that there are more likely to hit the Delaware Bay Area. With the industrial build up around that area now it could be really bad. Lets hope it goes out to sea.

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

GOOD LUCK Steve, Sara and everyone else in Sandy's path. Living in South Louisiana and having lived and/or worked(retired FireFighter) through every hurricane season around here since Betsy(1965). My best advice is if you can board up the house and get the Hell out of town. If you survive the hurricane(which of course you probably will) the real suffering will happen after the hurricane. NO electrcity,NO TV,NO water,No food!! So why stay?? There will be nothing you can do during the hurricane except worry and then suffer afterwards.. GOOD LUCK Guys!!!!

8. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Steve praying for your safety during the storm. Sara, I also pray for your safety too. Prayers for everyone in the storms path.

Dslazar9 likes this.
  9. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

Just heard your nanny mayor on TV and he ordered schools closed for tomorrow.

10. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

After being in Florida for 40 years and going through a few canes, the thing that I missed the most during the storms was power. Got a generator and haven't gone through one since. The rest is pretty easy once you get used to hearing the wind howling and seeing tree branches dropping all around.
    Enough water and canned goods along with propane or charcoal for cooking (in case power or gas goes out) is basic. Get fuel for the car(s) and some extra cash from bank or ATM. Wait for the all clear b4 wandering outside to look around. Board games are a good way to pass the time and keep your mind off of whats going on outside. Hunker down, my friends and please stay safe!

11. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

We are expecting strong winds and probable power outage where I am. Moved all the patio furniture in and just waiting.
    Be safe everyone!

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Thanks for the reminder Dad, I completely forgot about cash.

Keep safe and friendly everyone.

Steve, it may suck and be a bit scary so just realize that now. You're a good guy and I know I don't have to tell you, but be ready to help your neighbors. Hope it is less than predicted. Chances are we'll be suffering together, the east side of the storm is normally pretty bad too and that's looking to hit us pretty good too.

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It took him long enough, but I am relieved.

14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Stay safe everyone,,,

15. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hope it passes quickly with little damage, stay safe matey.

16. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Just talked with my son and he reminded me of another thing. Make sure that you have a cell phone charger for your vehicle so you can keep your cell charged up. Also, not a bad idea to fill up your tub (s) full of water so you have something to flush the toilet with. Fill up a bucket and dump it in the bowl and it will flush the commode. good luck!

17. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

I live about 45 mins outside philly. We are doing what we can to prepare; cars full of gas, flash lights ready, radio, extra batteries, water, food, large cooler full of ice, cash. Hope it is over doing it. Better to be prepared than without. Even in the state of emergency, I provide an emergency service (HVAC tech) and must be out in this mess away from my family. I pray everyone stays safe and takes care of eachother. God bless and good luck.

18. swarden43

We're in it now, boys and girls!
    So far, so good. The worst will hit later today, into tonight.

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Fine here too, thus far. I will check in periodically.

KLF likes this.
  20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

All's well here, just a bit windy. I have the Penguinators erecting walls of cheddar around the palace for protection.