Worst-Smelling Aftershave in Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by boyextraordinare, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Dado

Dado New Member

The original Clubman Aftershave Lotion is pretty bad. The only reason I own it is because it is a classic barbershop smell. I use it in a very conservative manner, mostly when I touch up my neck line. I seldom use it on my face.

The original Aqua Velva is better, but must be used in little quantities as well. I own it and wear it every now and then.

2. ZackPomerleau

ZackPomerleau Active Member

Yep, don't use too much or the day is ruined!

3. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Well, thats a lot of the common, everyman affordable ones... We could all wear $58.00 Geo F. Trumper, or $34.00 Alt Insbruck... or its several pricey equivalents... Wear what you like! Wear what your lady likes! Wear what you can afford! "It's your shave, enjoy it your way" (heard that somewhere once...)

swarden43, Monkeylord and ksb63 like this.
  4. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

There is a reason these aftershaves have been around for a long long time - they work very well for some skin types, and their scent is appealing to many people. And that is just fine! I will never be without either - nor any of the other dozen or so I have and enjoy. But, if you enjoy Axe you are clearly a person of low breeding and intelligence, no taste, and probably have very questionable morals... ;)

Williams Warrior likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You must be a nosemeister, or a card carrying member of the basenotes forum. (cough...snob...cough)
    It's okay. There's quite a few of those I don't care for either, but I plan to be buried with a bottle of Old Spice.:cool:

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Has to be Brut. Way too strong, didn't smell good at all to me. Never cared for English Leather either.

7. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Wow. What aftershave do you use then? :)

8. ksb63

ksb63 Active Member

Never after shave, cologne right now. Wife got me cool water and innes.

9. Littlemax

Littlemax Member

I cannot tolerate Clubman Veg. My fav is SCS Lime splash.

10. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I tried a sample of the regular Clubman and promptly got rid of it. I also didn't care for Tai Winds from Avon, or Brut, both of which I also got rid of it. Of the three, Clubman is my least favorite.

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

+1.....lol...just sayin'...:happy102:
    Old Spice is cheap but it smells like a high dollar Guerlain...

12. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! I'm still evaluating Lilac Vegetal. Many do not like this one.
    Always, Gene

13. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of AS. I do like Bay Rum, Stephan's Lilac and most traditional barbershop scents. Occasionally, Ice Blue AV and Brut. I don't care for strong scents so I usually apply it to my wet face after rinsing post shave, so it's never too strong. I'd rather spend a little extra on a good scented quality soap or cream than buy AS or ASB.

14. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

Lilac Vegetal, without question.

15. iambatman85

iambatman85 Well-Known Member

I cannot stand Aqua Velva Musk. just Gross:sick007:

16. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

+1 I don't like anything musk-based. I think musk is a good additional note to citrus scents etc., but not a good base scent.

17. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

Pinaud Special Reserve. I have given that one two chances and it really smells bad.

I did learn to like Lilac Vegetal. To those of you who don't like it and still have it on hand, try either refrigerating the bottle it comes in or relocating the contents to a glass bottle. The plastic bottle is responsible for that "cat urine" first impression.

18. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

I've heard mixed reviews of Special Reserve. Can you describe it? I like Clubman and the Citrus "colognes" by Pinaud.

19. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

My first impression, quite frankly, is that it smells like dirt. I know that isn't an adequate description. Look at the way it is described at the Pinaud site and also the customer reviews: http://www.clubmanonline.com/clubman-special-reserve-aftershave-cologne.html. A couple of people said it smells like Aramis cologne (I have never smelled Aramis).

20. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

lol "bold, masculine fragrance" That could mean anything. Yeah, I've heard more bad than good about Special Reserve so I'll stay away.