What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by oscar11, Nov 22, 2012.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'm a compulsive reader. So what are you reading now? For me, Grants autobiography.

Douglas Carey, Dzia Dzia and dbersh like this.
  2. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Star Wars, Han Solo trilogy
    And Windows server books,

3. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

In the moment i read "The Hobbit" on my Kindle.The Movie is coming in the cinemas in December i think...And therefore i have to read this amazing book the 3rd time...I´m really excited to see the movie.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. iambatman85

iambatman85 Well-Known Member

Just started the picture of dorian gray. Trying to work through art of manliness's 100 must read books for men.

Larry Stephenson and 5Savages like this.
  5. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Did you read anything else from the list or is this your first book?You got a lot to read...;)

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Radiotube likes this.
  7. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Guy Gavriel Kay:Fionavar Tapestry trilogy

Lexicon Devil likes this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I too read all the time.

Got 10 pages to go on On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society, by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.
    I'd recommend this to anyone who has served in the armed forces or has had a family member who has. It is both heart wrenching and introspective.

Up next is Getting Past OK: The Self-Help Book for People Who Dont Need Help by Richard Brodie.

I don't normally read self help books but I just so happen to be in the rut right now and besides, I had no idea On Killing was going top be a self help book.....

After that, I'm going to re-read The Necroscope series by Brian Lumley <-- coolest vampires in the genre-No sparkly emo vamps here.

Douglas Carey and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

5Savages likes this.
  10. Sergio Campos

Sergio Campos Active Member

So, you like science fiction, right ? :)

Sorry, I'm a strictly Linux guy, couldn't resist...

But since I started, I am reading way too many books at the same time. Don Quixote I finished book one, about to start book two. A biography of Johan Sebastian Bach. Piracy: the Intellectual Property Wars from Gutemberg to Gates. A book about the Shroud of Turin. And the Game of Thrones books are calling my name... As well as a biography of Alan Turing. Here is a suggestion, computer biographies, think Turing, not Jobs! Biographies of men who think they've invented rectangles with rounded corners, think Jobs.

11. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Linux is for playtime, Windows is for professionals . Well maybe not, but it is partially true in the Norseland

On a more serious note, I can recommend the Game of Thrones series. When you first start, they can be difficult to put away. I think I read all the current books in a months time. Probably more, but it felt like a month.
    The advantage of having kindle installed on your phone, you always find time to read just one more page :)

Lexicon Devil likes this.
  12. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I love the Odd THomas series! I've read 3 of them and didn't realize there were more. Time to pick them up!

blanka likes this.
  13. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I'm currently reading The Children's Blizzard, by David Laskin. It's about one of the worsts blizzards in the US, back in 1888 that struck the upper midwest. After a long spell of cold weather, the temperatures rose to unseasonably warm weather, prompting folks to venture outdoors, and to go to school, many without dressing for the sudden, brutal weather that fell on later that day (Some accounts say the temperature fell 100 degrees in 24 hours!). They call it the Children's Blizzard because so many of those that died (over 230) were children that had gone to school, and those that went looking for them.

The book is not only about the deadly blizzard, but about how difficult life was on the prairie, and about the state of weather forecasting at the time. It's a difficult book to put down. You can find out more here:

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2012/01/09/the-childrens-blizzard/
    http://shetreadssoftly.blogspot.com/2009/07/childrens-blizzard.html
    http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/blizzard-brings-tragedy-to-northwest-plains

14. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

My wife and I enjoy reading books together, especially on dark, cold evenings. We take turns reading aloud -- it's a slow way to go through a book, but fun!

Right now, we are going through the five book series "A Wrinkle in Time", by Madeleine L'Engle. I think the target audience is 12 year olds, but we are enjoying it. I think I read this when I was 12, but I didn't remember much.

It's gentle SciFi, some fantasy elements, some Christian religious symbolism, some coming of age adolescent psychology.

Definitely a quick read.

15. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Reading The Primal BluePrint, by Mark Sissan..

I've launched into a deep spiral into the world of fitness and nutrition.

16. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I think I'm on book 5 of the Wheel of Time series. I say "think" because I pick up the next one when I finish the one I'm currently reading, without looking at the title.

2grubswrestle1 and Lexicon Devil like this.
  17. iambatman85

iambatman85 Well-Known Member

I've read them all and boy is there a lot to remember. I am thinking about restarting them since the last one is supposed to come out in January, if I recall correctly. It is a great series and well worth the read of any Fantasy fan.

Monkeylord likes this.
  18. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I think this is book 4. Just came out recently. Great series. My problem is that I'm caught up on most of the series that I like to read... Destroyermen, Safehold, Agent Pendergast, Event, ....

19. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Well I spend most of my time reading this shaving forum! ;) Until you folks stop writing I am in a pickle! Actually, I spend most of my time reading and trying to understand genetics or whatever other thing strikes me that I feel the need to know about.

20. Sergio Campos

Sergio Campos Active Member

Ouch! I deserved it... Well, I am glad I play all the time then...

Norseman likes this.