Worst-Smelling Aftershave in Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by boyextraordinare, Oct 19, 2009.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Clubman S.R. has at least one saving grace, to my nose anyway: it has a note that evokes a pipe tobacco-y vibe that few others frags do...pipe tobacco being a scent that's definite and amorphous at the same time, lots of guys look for but is hard to track down precisely. It's about the only Clubman I'd have on my shelf but I'm out and it's too much trouble to replace.

I would not have put it in quite the same category as Aramis, but I can see a very, very distant similarity. To me it's much closer to Halston Z-14 or Coty's cheap but very nice (and extinct) Wild Woods. Both of these I have; true, neither is an a/s but they're similar enough that I don't have a need to obtain more S.R., though I'd snag it if I found it cheap.

Your nose, as always, may vary.

2. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

I think that's a good comparison. I tried Mama Bears Beau Brummel (tobacco scented) shave soap and can see the similarity, although I didn't detect any sweetness in the Clubman Special Reserve.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You're right, now that you mention it I don't recall SR being particularly sweet so that's another plus (the two frags I mentioned are borderline too sweet but still tolerable).

4. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

Someone once ( about 30 years ago) gave me a bottle of something called 'Tally Ho". It was a nice looking bottle with pictures of English Fox Hunters on Horseback. I have not seen it since, and suspect it may have been banned by the EPA. The first time I used it, all the houseplants died...even the plastic ones. My cat arched her back, hissed and ran through the pet door as fast as she could. My dogs growled at me anytime I got upwind of them. The skunks that were living under the house moved out.....

I never used it again. I don't know what happened to the bottle, but I suspect it is in a landfill somewhere, buried very, very deep.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Well, if it will keeps cats away I made need to find some for my flowerbed. :D

6. Grick

Grick Active Member

I hate bay rum scents. Remind me of dental practices.:scared003: But what's with all the hate for Pinaud Clubman? I love it! Ironically enough, many in here hate the Jeris Musk, too, but all the female friends of mine love it! I really didn't like it initially but it grew on me within days. Maybe we should give some fragrances some time before passing judgement.

7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I like Pinaud Clubman, I think I'll try the Vegetal - it appears nobody is ambivalent about it, they either love it or absolutely hate it.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

There is an old saying: You do not choose or reject the Veg, it chooses or rejects you!

It is so true. You will never know until you try it.

9. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

There are three things you can do.
    1. Sprinkle Mustard Seeds, Cayenne pepper, coffee grounds, and dried rosemary around the edge of the flower-bed. Cats hate those smells.
    2. Plant herbs like citronella, rue, lavender, rosemary, and garlic around the edge of the flower-bed. Again, cats hate those plants.
    3. Plant some catnip nearby as a decoy. They will leave your flower-bed alone in favor of the one with the catnip.
    Good luck.

10. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Reviving this thread. Just to say I hate Old Spice (classic, anyway). :)

11. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

My wife made me take the Clubman Pinaud back to CVS. She couldn't stand it. Luckily, CVS takes back almost anything, even opened, if you have the receipt.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm with your wife on the Pinaud. Original O.S., though? Be careful, here we come... ;)

[​IMG]

Troy M and ObiDon like this.
  13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

it would have had to cost allot more than those few bucks before I would have told the clerk, my wife made me being this back.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Brut, Aqua Velva, SkinBracer, anything pepper, Old Spice... those are all terrible I think.

Shotwell likes this.
  15. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I can understand the hatred of brut but Aqua velva? Sure it is a bit strong and lingers but please man.

tuxxdk and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  16. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Sorry. FWIW, I do like AV Musk. But any of the blue or green splashes are too old man for me.

17. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Tabac smells like a Bingo Hall.

18. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

The absolute worse aftershave I have ever tried was given to me as a gift a long, long time ago. It was something called, 'Tally Ho'. It was horrible. The first time I tried it, all the houseplants died.....even the plastic ones. It smelled a little like pine shavings, and bug spray.

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sweaty polyester, menthol cigs and popcorn. That's how they smelled when I was a lad.

Mr. Shaverman and Kilgore Trout like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Pucks of Tabac or Bingo Halls? :D

Smell is so subjective that I shy away from knocking AS scents too harshly so as not to offend those who happen to actually enjoy that particular aftershave.
    Having said that, the only really truly AS I found repulsive is now owned happily by another TSD member.
    Different strokes….

BigT and Omaney like this.