Str8 Razor identification please!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by CatMan, Oct 19, 2007.

1. CatMan

CatMan Member

Hello everybody,
    I bought this razor online (Tilly) a couple days ago. The description said "Hefty". I don't think this is a brand name, rather an attribute, I guess. The only thing written on the blade is shown in the second photo. The scales are Desert Ironwood by Bill Ellis. This of course doesn't mean Bill ever saw this razor. He could have just sold the scales to someone. The blade is a wedge 6/8". My question: Does this blade look familiar to anyone? Is it maybe a custom job? It is an excellent shaver!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JMS

JMS New Member

It seems to me that both Wade & Butcher and Geo Wolstenholme used that phrase on a few of their razors.

3. CatMan

CatMan Member

Interesting! Thanks!
    What I find a little strange is that there is nothing else anywhere on the blade.

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Two possibilities: whoever did the restoration polished off any blade etch when they restored the blade itself, or, the identification was only on the scales and since they have been replaced, you have no identifying marks.

5. CatMan

CatMan Member

I see. Thanks! I guess, that's as close as I can get to identification. Any estimate regarding the age?

6. mparker762

mparker762 New Member

mid 1800's. That's a nice-looking razor, BTW - and I suspect Mr. Ellis did the work on that one.

7. CatMan

CatMan Member

Wouldn't that be something! Thanks!

8. JMS

JMS New Member

I would definitely say mid 1800's

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

Nice Blade :drool

10. CatMan

CatMan Member

Thanks a lot for your input, everybody! Looks like I did well buying this beauty for $80 shipped. It became my favorite the moment I started shaving with it.
    :cool:

11. mparker762

mparker762 New Member

Actually, razors from that era are quite common. Sheffield had discovered how to cast quality steel in the early 1800's, and their razor manufacturers were cranking out razors by the millions and shipping them all over the empire. By the late 1800's they had flooded the market - most men back then only needed and wanted one razor (no RAD) and once they had their one then they were done. The Sheffield razor manufacturers were folding quickly by the late 1800's. Wade & Butcher, the most prolific of the Sheffield manufacturers, went out of business in 1890 accd to the Uniclectica page.

12. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Don't know if I did this one or not. I've done a lot like it. My guess is that it is a mid 1800 WB like mparker said. I would not have put that finish on the blade, however, because I do not like mirror or mirror-like finishes. If I restored the blade on it, then someone else made it shiny. Regardless of all that, it's one of the good ones. I love this style and "heft". They always make my "favorites" list.

13. CatMan

CatMan Member

Thank you so much for the info, Bill. Very much appreciated! Amazing how well a razor shaves that was maybe forged some time before the Civil War. This one is right now on top of my favorite list. It seems to be the ideal tool to tackle my wire brush type beard. Thanks again!

14. CatMan

CatMan Member

Interesting! Can you recommend a book or online source where I can get some more information about the history of Srt8 razors and their manufacturers?

15. vgod

vgod New Member

so is that to say that all W&B were created pre-1900? just trying to learn more history.

vgod

16. CatMan

CatMan Member

They went out of business 1890.

Welcome to TSD, vgod! Lean back and enjoy the ride! :)

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, vgod!

18. vgod

vgod New Member

thank you all. pleasure is all mine.

vgod::

19. JMS

JMS New Member

They did make Wade & Butcher after 1890 up until around 1920 or so! The ones that are made in the 1890's and before are stamped "Sheffield", the ones made after 1890 are stamped "Sheffield, England"!