Autostrop

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by King camp, Dec 9, 2012.

1. King camp

King camp Well-Known Member

Alright so I just won four of these image.jpg image.jpg
    I believe that I can still get a blade thats for a paint scraper but that it has to be modified somehow correct me if I'm wrong image.jpg image.jpg
    I read a few threads that say these two will only accept original or feather blades why is this ?

2. King camp

Really so no one knows anything about these ?

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've sold many mint blades that I've come across so there must be guys using them...thing is, now that I think of it I don't recall who here is really heavy into them. If they're here, though, they'll reply. I myself have never used one other than as a brief experiment.

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I just had a close look at one a them at an antique place and the blade was super proprietary. There was a cutout of the letters V.A.L.E.T on the blade which was integrated as part of the blade fitting process, so I'm not sure if anything but an original blade will work in that thing. Blade rust on the older metal might also be a concern. The blade on the one I saw seemed to fit slightly off, which I thought was odd. Couldn't say how they shave...

5. gollum83

gollum83 Well-Known Member

Depending on the model you can modify single edge blades for them. You also run across blades that were manufactured for them from time to time as well, although honestly I've never really noticed a difference when shaving with as modified single edge shaving wise (Wouldn't recommend stropping with a modified single edge blade if you have you of the strops that came with these razors. The angle is just different enough to tear it to shreds from what I've heard).

6. King camp

Yes that's what I was trying to say I believe I can modify blades for the razors in the first two pictures but that the second two pictured will need orignal or I hear a feather blade will work also interesting what your saying about the modified blades cutting the strop I have not received them yet but there is a strop included with one but from the pictures I have it appears to have dried out so i dont know if it would be useable or not how do these shave do the diffrent models shave differently I only switched to a de a few weeks ago they kinda looks dangerous but I saw them on e bay and for 40$ deliverd I thought I'd try them here are some pics of the strop image.jpg image.jpg

lradke likes this.
  7. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Tell you what...shoot me a PM and ill send you off some feather blades that should fit. :) I get them bulk and have about 150 still. :)

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

You won Four AutoStrops what a great score!! A guy called D. Irving has some videos youtube on modifying a Gem SE blade to fit one of the models(I'm not sure which model). It's the one where the blade slides in from the side. Basically all you do is remove the spine on the Gem blade and then make a couple of snips on either side of the blade at the top to make it fit the holder. Also a Feather SE blade will fit the other models. The Feather blade cutouts match the proprietary cutouts on the AutoStrop. Hope this helps you some...:)

9. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Not paint scraper blades! They will tear your face up.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Autostrops. Nobody seems to know what to do with them.:)
    The original Autostrop model can take modified blades, and several of the other models can also use Feather blades, (which were manufactured for their own Autostrop style razor. I've only seen one photograph of one of those.) At least one model of autostrop can only take original autostrop blades. With four coming in the mail, you have a good chance of winding up with several usable ones.

The strop looks salvageable. You can use Saddle soap, neatsfoot oil, bear grease or my personal favorite, Dr. Marten's Wonder Balsam to restore the leather. Do not use mink oil. Mink oil contains petroleum products which will damage the leather further over time. Even if you restore the strop, it's usefulness is limited. As others have said, you can only use it with the original autostrop blades, which (if you can get them) still fall short of using a feather or SE blade as far as the quality of the shave goes.

The SE blades sold at hardware stores are not usable for shaving. They are not sharp enough, so don't even think about it. Others have tried, and no one has ever gotten a good shave from utility knife/paint scraper blades. There are Single Edge (SE) blades that look identical, that actually are made for shaving or for cutting tissue samples in a lab. Either one of those would be suitable.

11. King camp

Yes I see what you mean I did some more searching (first thing I found were dave Irving's videos ) so i just assumed they were for paint scrapers but now I know the blade in his videos are for gem ever ready and star razors maybe others also I think I will try out one of these too

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Nice haul, mate! I've got an Autostrop myself and it gives me great shaves! Luke had PIF-ed me some blades as well ( he is a great and generous guy!). Congrats and Happy Shavings!

lradke likes this.
  13. lradke

Say! I think the one in this photo may be the first model of Autostrop, it looks like it has the part on the back that you push out on to lock the blade, and not flip like all the other models! If it is, good find! I have been on the lookout for one of those wor a while now!

macaronus likes this.
  14. lradke

Generous only because of the Sweeny Todd quote in your signature! ;) (just kidding)

macaronus likes this.
  15. King camp

Yes as it was listed as a 1904 and the handle is hollow and held on by two screws as pictured image.jpg

lradke, macaronus and PLANofMAN like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Nice. That's the model that everyone wants.

17. King camp

Why is it more desirable does it shave diffrent obviously the balance would be different but are there any other diffrences

The one everybody wants you say does that mean its worth more?

18. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

<opening the Den, looking at those vintage razors>

These are my friends
    See how they glisten
    See this one shine (Rolls)
    How it smiles in the light
    My friends, my faithful friends!

Speak to me friend,
    Whisper, I'll listen
    I know, I know,
    You've been locked out of sight
    All those years, like me my friend.

Well I've come home to find you waiting!
    Home, and we're together
    And we'll do wonders, won't we?

PLANofMAN and lradke like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It happens to be the only model of Autostrop that can use a modified SE blade. The other Autostrop models only use an autostrop blade or a Feather autostrop "type" blade. One model can only use autostrop blades as neither modified SE's or Feather blades will work with it.
    (this info is not entirely accurate, see my post below)
    Yes, it is worth more. Though that is relative. It's worth what the market will bear.

20. King camp

Actually I believe this is a older model then your thinking of before the one that holds the modified se blades (this one will too) as the one your thinking of says "valet auto strop" and the lever on the back flips up and down while this one just says "auto strop" and the lever pushes in to release the comb don't know if I'm making sense just what I had read maybe I'm wrong