MWF Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by burpsan, Aug 3, 2012.

1. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

This has been a long belated appreciation thread ...

Eyeballing SOTD posts, MWF gets a lot of love. As a matter of fact, Nick (aka. wknicholas) uses MWF and Tabac exclusively. Good company! (I hear Tabac is no slouch either.)
    ---------
    So, this thread is for you ... Mitchell's Wool Fat -- You give me a rich lather, great protection, solid moisturizing abilities, exceptional softening, and a classic scent. Lanolin Baby! Your stubbornness is likely just a misunderstanding ... but hey you can't make everyone happy. If you're not triple milled, you should be.

At around $15 - $20 U.S. a puck (refill), your performance to cost ratio helps set the highest of standards. With another $20 U.S., you come with one of the most iconic ceramic receptacles around.

:thanks:

YMMV (of course)

PLANofMAN and jeraldgordon like this.
  2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

The Ceramic Jar/Soap combination is expensive but I can't deny I really wanted it so I went for it LOL. Now I have an excuse to consistently keep pucks of MWF in my shave den and drop them in there. For those that haven't tried it - I believe that for shipping included, Connaught Shaving is the cheapest around for both the pucks alone or the Ceramic Jar.

lradke and burpsan like this.
  3. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

Love this soap. It's the only thing I insisted my sister bring back for me from her trip to London last year. I keep mine in a pastic tub that once housed a 100 foot roll of 35mm fim. Perfect for maintaining the environment I've heard the Fat needs during storage.

burpsan likes this.
  4. Jayjo

Jayjo Member

Could not resist resurrecting this old thread but this soap is awesome. I cannot stop using it. The way it lathers ,Softens the whiskers and provides a great glide. Its skin care is fantastic. This will be forever in my den.

burpsan likes this.
  5. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I'm another that's loves MWF. I really like the ceramic. It might be a while before I need a refill. I use it every third day in a rotation with Tabac and TSD Lanolin. My rotation will be increasing when I get my TSD soap in Monkey Farts scent. I couldn't resist.

Just thinking it would be Nice to have a ceramic / glass TSD bowl on the sink.

burpsan likes this.
  6. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I'm an addict. I purchased the stuff by the brick from some company in Europe last year and shared it with friends. I think I still have half a dozen pucks excluding the one I use in the ceramic!

burpsan likes this.
  7. Xuster

Xuster New Member

Thanks for the heads up on connaught shaving. Great price!

burpsan likes this.
  8. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Here's the site I was looking for: http://www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk/62-sundries

I think if you catch a day when the US conversion is at a high, the exchange rate makes it so worth ordering. I watched the exchange rate for weeks before pulling the trigger and got my pucks for like $9 a piece (USD).

burpsan likes this.
  9. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

How easy is it to order from Connaught with the currency difference? Does it automatically take it as USD or is there a button you have to click to switch currencies? Or have you ordered from them before and if anyone has ordered from the UK how long does shipping usually take?

burpsan likes this.
  10. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Paypal will convert the Pounds to Dollars based on their rate at the time of purchase. Shipping took about a week and a little bit for it to get to me, but Cdn Customs is notorious for taking forever.

burpsan likes this.
  11. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Another fan of MWF here, I don't have the ceramic yet, but have persuaded her indoors to get it for me as a christmas stocking filler.
    MWF with a Muhle R41 and a brand new Astra sp blade makes for a truly wonderful shave......

burpsan likes this.
  12. Xuster

Xuster New Member

That's a lot of dedication right there lol thanks for the link though. Even without ideal conversion rate it's cheaper than buying in US

burpsan likes this.
  13. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Well.. I'm still a student working minimum wage jobs and it's still worth my time. :cool:

14. Mentholated Badger

Mentholated Badger New Member

Hello there,
    This is a classic soap. I enjoy it frequently.

Cheers!

15. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I use Kent, which is the same thing, not always in my rotation but it never fails to give a great shave when I crack it open.

16. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

That is the one thing I am going to buy myself for Christmas. I always wanted to try the MWF and having the ceramic receptacle is a must.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

My favorite soap for years. Still haven't brought myself to splurge on the ceramic dish, it's just seems too much for something that can break so easily.

Does anything leave your face feeling better than MWF? For most of us I image in the answer is NO.

18. Mentholated Badger

Mentholated Badger New Member

Hello there,
    I believe that Mike's Natural Soaps does just as good as MWF does, for me anyway. I hope to try a soap from Spain I think but can't recall the name of it at the moment. It is also mentioned in the same breath as MWF & Mike's.

Cheers!

19. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I finally broke down and ordered some MWF. So pumped for it to arrive. When it comes I will probably grade it and then smash it into a bowl, as I was too cheap to buy the ceramic one. Have heard so much about this soap. Can't wait to use it!

20. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

I too am a fan of The Fat! I have failed time and time again trying to bowl lather it, however am rewarded with an amazing rich lather when I face lather!

Something I find interesting when I use MWF, the following morning I have less growth then when I use any other soap or cream.