Your Top 5 brush list - let's hear it !

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by CHSeifert, Dec 26, 2012.

1. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

So I sat down and thought about what my current favorite brushes are, and since I face lather exclusively, this is my current Top 5, but subject to change since I still have 25 or so brushes, that I have only used once in my current den :)

1. Morris & Forndran Stubby Finest 2-Band Fan 28 mm knot, 50 mm loft
    2. Simpson Chubby 2 Manchurian Fan 28 mm knot, 50 mm loft
    3. Rooney Stubby Heritage Super 2-Band 2XL Fan 28 mm knot, 46 mm loft
    4. Rudy Vey Beehive Faux Ivory Shavemac D01 3-Band Fan 25 mm knot, 46 mm loft
    5. Simpson Chubby 2 2-Band Super Bulb 28 mm knot, 54 mm loft

[​IMG]

Honorable mention goes to these 5 at the moment:
    Shavemac D01 3-Band Silvertip Bulb 26 mm knot, 54 mm loft
    SimFix Snaefell 2-Band Super Bulb 26 mm knot, 54 mm loft
    Thiers Issard Genuine Horn 3-Band Super Extra Dense Hybrid 23 mm knot, 54 mm loft
    Thäter 49125/2 2-Band Super Bulb 26 mm knot, 52 mm loft
    Saville Row 3124 3-Band Silvertip Bulb 24 mm knot, 54 mm loft

2. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

1-Rooney Heritage Stubby 2XL, 29:46, in super
    2-Bob Farvour custom, 28:48, TGN two band
    3- Rudy Vey custom travel, 19:?
    4-Rod Neep custom, 28:51, Finest
    5-three Semogue's tied for fifth, SoC in cherry, 2010 and 2011

3. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Considering I just started this whole wet shaving thing earlier this month, can't say I've even used 5 brushes. So I not going to provide a list. But I'm extremely interested in seeing some of the brushes people favor.

4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Claus, I'm not too sophisticated when it comes to shaving brushes but I'd honestly have to say my biggest disappointments have been been with the most expensive brushes I've bought. I do like Shavemac knots, at least the ones I've experimented with and I've been completely satisfied with some fairly inexpensive knots. So for knots available to the public, I'd say, Shavemac, WSP, TGN Grade A and Whipped Dog Silver Tips. I have excellent brushes made with all these knots.

5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

CHSeifert & MikekiM (and others who list their top 5): can you explain why these are your favourites? Is it the backbone, the handle, the... you fill in. I know it's a YMMV thing, but it gives us an insight in the characteristics of the preferred brushes. ;)

JRod22 and alpla444 like this.
  6. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

I've only got 4 brushes, but here they are in order of preference and why:
    1. VDH boar, 'cause it was my first and I love the scritchiness.
    2. TGN best badger, for those days when I'm feeling sensitive and need a soft brush!:happy102:
    3. Omega '49, love the way it lathers. It's a little too long, though it's good for getting into the bottom of a mug.
    4. TBS synthetic, way too small, doesn't hold water or soap well compared to the above brushes.

I had a turkish #6 horsehair, but never got to use it. the ex-SWMBO still has it. Do the courts have custody hearings for shave brushes? LOL

JRod22 and alpla444 like this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Oh, I forgot to post my own 4 brushes:
    1. DVH boar, a vintage (eighties, I guess). Holds lots of water, great face latherer.
    2. Travel King boar, late 1940's. Nice brush. Nice backbone as well, but what makes it special to me is its unique design.
    3. Wilkinson Sword badger. Nice 'n' soft, but I'd like a bit more backbone. It's a little floppy. On the other hand: it is really soft!
    4. Omega travel boar. Great for travelling, but small. (yeah, I know, for travelling it needs to be small ;) )

8. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Well, if all she got was the #6 horsehair, count yourself lucky.:sad038:

9. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

My Top 3 brushes are also my only 3 brushes. The conclusion that they are my Top 3 came to me after testing quite a number Badger & Boar brushes as well as other Synthetics.

The 3 in question are:

Mühle Basic Nr. 02 in faux horn resin, ø21mm and Loft of 54mm, with Silver Tip Fibre
    Mühle Travel in Nickel, ø21mm and Loft of 52mm, with Silver Tip Fibre
    Mühle Classic in faux horn resin, ø19mm and Loft of 48mm, with Silver Tip Fibre

The Basic #02 and the Travel brush have been in use for nearly 2 years now (most of it going to the Basic of course...). The smaller Classic one is a recent addition as I read that the smaller loft made it an even better face lathering machine as the bristle is sturdier (more backbone). Am still getting to know that one but so far, my trusted Basic #02 is my favourite still...

Why do I prefer them over the Kents, Semogues and so on of this World? Primarily because I like the way they feel on my face when lathering. They have enough backbone to deal with shave soap efficiently (they literally eat it!), yet are still nice and soft on the tips to feel, well, nice. I also very much like the ease of taking care for them (hence also the Nickel or Resin handles I have chosen). They dry basically within an hour or so, I don’t have to worry about water logging up the wooden handle and so on.. I plain love them.

JRod22 likes this.
  10. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

1. Vintage Stanley Home Products Badger - This is identical to my fathers brush, I do not use it that much anymore as it is 60 plus years old, but is my favorite brush.
    2. TGN 22mm Super Silvertip - I love the softness and floppiness of this brush for when I just want to paint on lather.
    3. Semogue 1438 Boar - The perfect boar knot for me. It is nicely broken in, and I love the smaller handle. My go to brush for face lathering.
    4. Semogue 620 Boar - No smell at all from day one, completely broke in under two weeks, just a joy to use for both face and bowl lathering.
    5. TGN 18mm Silvertip - A nice small knot, that feels wonderful on my face and has enough backbone to face lather.

My Semogue SOC and 820 are not as broken in as they should be, I am sure once they are they may bump a couple from above.

11. Jayjo

Jayjo Member

1. Shavemac silver tip d01
    2. Kent bk12
    3. Simpson chubby 3
    4. Simpson duke 3 manchurian
    5. Vulfix 2235 super