A very rare GEM razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HoosierTrooper, Jan 8, 2013.

1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I stumbled across what I believe to be an extremely rare GEM razor recently. I have never seen it before, nor do I remember ever reading anything about this razor.

I've done some research the last few days and haven't found anything about it. I've google searched it using every term I could come up with and have come up empty.

So, here are some pictures and description of the GEM adjustable single edge razor.

[​IMG]

The frame is very similar to the Push Button, it is opened by depressing the top of the black lever that is located on the top of the back of the handle.

[​IMG]

It has a thumb wheel numbered 1-9, the frame is closed by pressing the bottom of the lever back into the handle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When the thumb wheel is turned from 1 to 9 the guard bar moves down away from the blade increasing the space between the blade and the guard bar. In this picture you can see a line that has been cut into the blade tray. The bar next to this cut that is connected to the guard bar moves up and down in the cutout area next to the line.

[​IMG]

There are no patent numbers anywhere, and the GEM name doesn't appear anywhere except on the handle. It's kind of hard to see but the number 24 is scratched into the bottom of the frame. In this picture it's on the flat surface under the opening.

[​IMG]

Here's just a few more shots of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, it's in excellent condition, just a couple minor scratches here and there. it's a very heavy razor due to the mechanism that connects the thumb wheel to the frame.

Has anyone here ever seen one of these before? I have a theory that this was possibly a prototype and this was never actually marketed to the public. It seems like if many of these had been sold one should have turned up by now. The 24 looks like it was put on there to identify this one as being "razor 24". A member on another forum found the patent application, it was filed in 1960 and approved in 1963.

I am very proud to have added this to my collection, and would love to see if any more of these are around. Enjoy!

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That's pretty cool Tom.

I have never seen anything like it before. Did you find it in the wild or online? Was the seller able to offer any information?

3. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

That is rare. I've never seen or heard of this one. Have you tried the different adjustments and felt a difference in your shave?

4. HoosierTrooper

It was in a lot that included a GEM Contour, black handled PAL Injecto-matic, Schick I1 injector and a brass Old Spice Trac II handle that had a BIN of $22.99 and $5.85 shipping on the bay. I don't buy hardly anything from eBay but I was just killing time looking at what GEM razors was in there and saw this so I grabbed it.

barbersurgeon likes this.
  5. HoosierTrooper

Not yet. I try to only have one blade in service at a time and have been using a Feather in various Valet's but this blade seems like it's never going to wear out, so I may break my rule and try this tomorrow because I'm dying to try it.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Wow! My uneducated guess is for prototype. Awesome find!

7. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Great find!

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

What a FANTASTIC score Tom!!! An adjustable Gem SE thats not only never been seen before( at least not yet), but is likely a prototype as well!! Thats why I still go to the bay and look on occasion in hopes of such a score as this....:)
    Congradulations to you Tom thats a priceless razor in more ways than one!!!! :happy096:

[Edit] I'd have to break the one blade at a time rule on this one.....:happy088:

9. gollum83

gollum83 Well-Known Member

I'm with Rich on this one. The lack of identifying markers on any portion of the head just screams prototype to me, but I couldn't tell you for sure. I'm curious how it shaves, might give us a better why none of us have seen one before, if you get my meaning.

10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

That is very cool! I don't use SE razors, but that is a very cool razor.

11. richgem

You should try one, Ryan. They take a bit of learning (the angle is different than DE), but they're great shavers.

Ryan Bales likes this.
  12. Ryan B

I received one from my Secret Santa, I will try it when I get back from vacation next week. It's some sort of Gem, that's all I know so far.

13. richgem

Oh, good. If you don't know how to use one, PM me before you try and I'll give you some tips.

14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Nice find..:)

15. Ryan B

Thanks man, those tips will come in handy. Who knows, maybe I'll end up liking it more than DE shaving.

16. 13Fdaddy

13Fdaddy Member

Very nice find

17. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice razor, I hope it shaves well for you.

18. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

Cool find.

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It looks very well designed, I wonder why this never got into mass production, or if it did, why no examples have turned up before now.

20. HoosierTrooper

I'm pretty well convinced it was never produced. There's just really no other way to explain the lack of these things showing up anywhere because guys that have been collecting and studying these things longer than me can't recall ever seeing it before either.

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.