Custom Razor/Brush rack & Custom Tie Rack

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by FacialCarnage, Jan 13, 2013.

1. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Today I had the day off from work and I was in the mood to build something simple, yet functional. I am an architect by trade and jeweler at work, so I really enjoy these kinds of things. I decided to make a simple rack for my closet wall that would hold all of my ties and another rack that I could attach to my bathroom wall underneath my medicine cabinet. My razor rack will have slots to hold several De razors, my brush, and a facial towel. I have attached a photo of the supples needed to make this and another of my sketch book. Right now I am waiting for the paint to dry, then I will attach the holders and update.

Ok, I will have to update with photos later. They are too large to upload directly to this thread, so I will use my laptop later to resize. If I knew how to host the images on another site I would do that. If anyone knows, please share. Cheers![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You can upload to www.photobucket.com. From there it is easier to resize and post. We look forward to seeing your work.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. FacialCarnage

This little project cost between $30-40. I know that I could have purchased a cheap tie rack and little stand for my stuff, but this was a lot more fun and I think it looks better as well. Hope you like, enjoy!

Joef and JayPo007 like this.
  4. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

where did you get the chrome rack to hold the razors, I haven't seen anything like it at the hardware store.

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That is impressive. I was wondering about the razor racks too.

FacialCarnage likes this.
  6. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

Great job FC! So yeah, where did you find the razor holder because that is trick. If you get bored some time I wouldn't mind seeing the brush holder minus the brush. I'd love to make a few of those for my house. My single stands don't do me any good now. I have a whole medicine cabinet full if shaving hardware and no where keep all my displaced med cabinet items, haha.

7. FacialCarnage

I basically trolled all through Home Depot looking for out of the ordinary parts. This razor holster is not really an uncommon piece though. It is made to be attached to a peg board to hold screw drivers and other small tools. I had to use a hack saw to cut off the pegs so it could be fastened flat against the board. For the brush holder I got two L shaped rods with screw threads on one end and placed them parallel from each other with the bent ends facing away from one another. I measured the thinnest part of my brush and that is how far I spaced them. I will post a picture. It is simple, and functionable. The decades old architecture question...is it function before form or form before function?[​IMG]

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. FacialCarnage

I sketched out 3 or 4 different ideas for ways to display my razors, but for the most part they would only look good if I had 5 or more razors to hang. So if someone with a large collection is ever wanting ideas for ways to display their stuff, hit me up and I will show you my sketches. Architecture and design is truely a passion of mine, so I really enjoy these little projects. Not just designing house plans, or renovations, but anything and everything...including jewelry.

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Very nice!

10. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. :)

11. dimmerswitch

dimmerswitch Active Member

I thought I was pretty ballin' and thrifty with a repurposed IKEA toothbrush holder. I bow before the master lol.

12. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I need one of those beer trays. Very cool

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Nice work!

14. Gerry Canter

Gerry Canter Member

They're made to hold screwdrivers, but this is a great repurposing.

15. Gerry Canter

Gerry Canter Member

Maybe make this a "lazy Susan" kind of thing?