For the Ladies; Preferred Products

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by Queen of Blades, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You're welcome. :)

If my eyesight gets any worse, I'm not sure I'll continue using a DE razor. I find the part I have to pay the most attention to is the short ends of the blade. They stick out and are more likely to hurt me than the actual cutting edges of the blade.

jill8 and Falcon43 like this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Wonderful thread JoAnna. I got my wife to try DE shaving once using a Gillette Lady Blue Star, but she didn't care for it. I want her to give it another go again and I'm trying to get as much info as I can. I have a question for you ladies. Do you shave in the shower or after?

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I shave in the shower. I think most of us do.

4. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

My wife shaves in the shower also.

5. Queen of Blades

In the shower.

6. Falcon43

Falcon43 Active Member

Then let's pray that things stay good for you.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You might just want to add the Cadet TTO-15 to the list if you would prefer a new razor that is similar in size and slightly (very slightly) heavier than vintage Lady Gillette or the LH Super Adjustable. The gap is roughly equal to setting #5 on the Gillette adjustable razors.

[​IMG]

jill8, ohpaos and Zereoue20 like this.
  8. Queen of Blades

Are you addressing me? :confused:

The "list" is my personal preferences, and this thread is for the ladies to share their personal preferences.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

No, this is an additional product if the ladies are looking for an equivalent razor. No harm intended.

10. Queen of Blades

Kind of distracts from the purpose of the thread, though. If a lady wants to chime in with a preference for that particular razor that isn't an issue, but guys just tossing in razor recommendations doesn't really help the ladies.

11. spsfreak

spsfreak Member

Great post as I am trying to get my wife more involved in DE razors and shaving with cremes and soap. She too is very hesitant as she says it will take too long and she will probably cut herself.

12. Queen of Blades

Once she is comfortable and has confidence using a DE, it can take as much time or as little time as she wants.
    As for cutting herself, I have cut myself more with a disposable razor than I have with a DE or straight razor. Yes, I said straight razor. And no, I'm not very coordinated. :o

spsfreak likes this.
  13. spsfreak

spsfreak Member

Thanks for the advice, JoAnna.... I so want my wife to get involved.... that way I have an excuse for buying more stuff!!! ;)

14. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

What a great thread & subforum! I'm learning so much here. I absolutely love my Razorock brand version of the Cadet TTO. (I will put a link below as I'm traveling & don't have it to photograph.). I started DE shaving with the lovely Lord L6, which I recently murdered by dropping in the shower (stone slab). RIP Lord L6. The Razorock TTO has a long handle (though not as long as the L6) & is a little heavier, but it is not at all cumbersome. The gorgeous mirrored pole is also easy for a clutz like me to grip.

http://www.italianbarber.com/razorock-mirrored-pole-twist-to-open-double-edge-razor

I don't have any experience with the vintage Lady Gillettes unfortunately. For blades, I like using Lord Platinums or Astra SPs. I have an intractable AD for all kinds of soap. I favor artisan soapmakers (current favs for shaving soap are MysticWaters & Mike's), but I'm very soapmiscuous.

I think the guys who've mentioned wanting to share DE wet shaving with their partners are very sweet. My BF got me started & it's a lot of fun being able to share the hobby. Before DE shaving, I was a longtime waxer so I don't actually get to shave very often, but I really enjoy concocting different soap lather combos & super/uber lathers when the opportunity arises.

Sorry to ramble...It's awesome to have found you all!

Ash

15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Well we welcome you with open arms...Wonderful having a fellow shaver and experimenter who's not a fellow....:) Perhaps you can help convince our other lady friends join in the fun...I tried with my wife,but she didn't like it at all..:(

ohpaos likes this.
  16. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I recently got my girlfriend to try shaving with my Lord L6 Razor and with my EJ89L, she loved it. I placed an order for her online and got her a badger brush, a tto parker razor, a couple soaps and creams, and a good moisterizering balm for this coming valentines day. I love adding another thing onto the list of stuff we can do together.

Star, PLANofMAN and ohpaos like this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You are a good boyfriend!

18. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Bravo! *applause*. What a thoughtful gift, right down to the moisturizing balm! I'm starting to think of the L6 as "the gateway razor" for getting your girl hooked on DE shaving. (It was actually my BF's Lord that I murdered, but he got a PAL for Christmas, so I was forgiven!). I hope your GF enjoys her awesome gift & joins TSD.

FacialCarnage likes this.
  19. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Thank you! I confess that I feel like a bit of a fraud in that none of the practical benefits of "proper" wet shaving extolled by my BF (clear skin, $) are actually what attracted me to the hobby. (I was using a fairly gentle, inexpensive DIY sugar paste for "waxing"). Rather, I gradually became more interested as he involved me in his rituals & emphasized the pampering aspect of the hobby.

In retrospect, he used what I'll call "The 3 L's of Luring a Lady" into the hobby. 1) Logic, 2) Luxury, & 3) the Lovey-Dovey (stealth tactics).

1) Logic - many gentleman are adept at explaining the practical benefits of proper skin preparation & wet-shaving. However, you must also be confident in your wet-shaving skills & anatomical knowledge to address concerns about minimizing & treating cuts. Exercise extreme caution when emphasizing the economic benefits of DEs over cartridges if: a) you have a shaving-related AD and/or b) she knew you when you started DE/SE/Straight shaving. (She may recall any carnage more vividly than you.)

2) Luxury - warm, fragrant lather & taking time to shave in a relaxing bath can be a very pampering, sensual experience for her to enjoy alone (or with you if she is willing). Most people, regardless of gender, find hair-removal to be a routine chore. The fact that you actually enjoy both the ritual & results of wet-shaving is remarkable & may naturally attract her to the hobby over time without overt encouragement on your part.

3) The Lovey-Dovey aka "stealth tactics". Even if she never picks up a Non-cartridge razor, you can involve her in the hobby in many ways & her interest may grow from there.

Personal Examples:
    -In terms if software, my BF could be happy with just MWF, an alum block & travel tube of Proraso. But since I enjoy soap & fragrance, he often asks me to pick out his soap & AS for the next day.
    -He'll ask for my opinion on what samples to try, & he often includes a small bath/body product for me in his orders. (A little surprise is always nice if your lady's always rolling her eyes when you get "another shaving package" in the mail!)
    -Since I love handmade soaps & making lather, he'll often lets me concoct various soap combo lathers & super lathers & got a scuttle even though he's a longtime face-latherer.
    -Also, he lets me load his injector razors. (He likes loading them too, so we do "rock-paper-scissors" to decide who "wins" a turn). I cannot explain why it's so much fun, but I challenge anyone to watch Mantic59's injector loading video without smiling. (We even have juvenile contests to see who can inject out the old blade farthest).

That's probably TMI, but maybe something there might be helpful for getting your lady to share a part of this hobby with you. Good luck!

Your un-fellow fellow,
    Ash

jill8, JCD, Ryan B and 5 others like this.
  20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

ohpaos likes this.