Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

1)Why use one? Many folks (both men & women) find that they can soften hairs and reduce razor friction.

2)Why make it yourself? Because it is inexpensive and easy.

Things you'll need;
    Measuring cup, measuring spoon, funnel, plastic bottle with a pour cap. (I use 4 0z/125 ml. bottles)

Ingredients;
    3 fl. oz skin-safe oil (such as olive, jojoba, grape seed, sweet almond, macadamia, etc.)
    1 fl. oz castor oil (this adds slickness)
    2 tsp/10 ml. essential oil or skin-safe fragrance oil (optional)

Using a funnel, pour all ingredients into the bottle you will use. Cap & shake to mix. That's it. You have just made a pre-shave oil.

Things to consider;
    1) Do you have skin allergies? If you have doubts about your reaction to an oil, test on a small patch of skin and wait 24 hours, to see if you have any adverse reaction.

2)Which oil should you use? All of the ones I mentioned are skin-safe. To keep it simple, you may want to use one that you can get at a local store, rather than ordering it. You should also buy the smallest quantity possible, if you are not sure how you will like it. But, if you are a hobbyist like me, go ahead and order something, if you don't see what you like locally.

3)Fragrance safety- oils of mint or eucalyptus are kind of intense. If you are using one of these, I suggest halving the amount you add.

2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Now there's tutorial even I understand!
    I'll have to get me some castor oil in the drug store. Olive oil and essential oil are already in da house.
    Thanks for posting, Sara!

Terry, Robyflexx, Seabs and 6 others like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Anytime. I hope you will tell us about your results.

Robyflexx and GDCarrington like this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Don't forget that it is fun!

Excellent plans for those who want a high quality pre-shave oil.

Thanks!

PatrickA51 and Omelmad like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Indeed it is. If you know people who would like this, you could even get some nice bottles and make these for Stocking Stuffers.

Robyflexx, Kizurra and PatrickA51 like this.
  6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I use Shave Secret and I'll definately have to whip up a batch to try out. Thanks for the recipe.

7. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I apply it before the shave and then wash it off before the lather or I lather when the pre-shave is on my face ?

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You can lather with the oil still on. It reduces friction that way.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Awesome, I will be trying this...or some variation.

10. 13Fdaddy

13Fdaddy Member

+1 on you Sara for putting this tutorial up, simple and easy :)
    It's a great starter for experiments

Sara-s likes this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Mixed up a small batch last night, but I forgot the 3 to 1 ratio of olive oil to castor oil and used 2 to 1, without any essential oils. Can't give a good report just yet, because I violated the golden rule of changing only one thing. I used the oil plus I forgot and put in a new Fred's store brand blade, so hard to gauge. The blade definitely did not feel as sharp as the Personna med prep or Crystal blades I've used so far. But with 3 passes except for upper lip (2 passes there), very close shave, and no nicks or weepers.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  12. Star

Star Active Member

Question: Why not just use all castor oil?

I don't know what, exactly, castor oil is so I don't understand how it is any different than say olive oil.

If this works well then I certainly like the idea. I cook with olive oil a lot so all I'd really need is the castor oil.

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Castor oil is very thick. It adds slickness, but by itself, I find it difficult to apply. But YMMV. No reason why not to give it a try, if you want to.

14. Star

Star Active Member

Makes sense :)

15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

How would mineral oil work in place of the olive oil?

16. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

The Art of Shaving PSO is 3 parts castor oil to one part olive oil. It is very thick. There is lots of room for experimentation to find what works best for you between Sara's recipe and AOS's.

Ryan Hoover likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good point. I like the thickness of my recipe, but that is not carved in stone. No reason not to experiment, if you prefer it thicker or thinner. As for mineral oil, I can't see why not. Any skin-safe oil will work. I would not leave out the castor oil though, because it does such a good job of reducing friction.

18. drewcandraw

drewcandraw Member

sara..what bottles are you using to store your preshave oil in...stuff from target or reusing some type of bottle?

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

A plastic travel bottle from the drugstore is fine. I ordered some dark bottles (with pour tops) from www.SpecialtyBottle.com. If you have a small bottle (from skin lotion or something) you certainly could reuse it.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Made some today, with Bergamot EO for scent. I love this smell!

Conrad1959 and macaronus like this.