After Shave Question Pinaud or Bay Rum?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Lathered, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Lathered

Lathered New Member

I am curious to see who likes Pinaud After Shave Lotion or Bay Rum? You may like both, I'm curious, thinking of going that route. If say Bay Rum, which brand is preferrable or the best quality?

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have the Original Clubman Pinaud,Special Reserve,Lilac Vegetal and Virgin Island Bay Rum. While I like all of them, but the Original and Virgin Island Bay Rum are my favorites. "WARNING" While it smells Wonderful! :love055: I.M.O.... The Pinaud Virgin Island BayRum is liquid napalm if you use it on a "VERY" closely shaved face!!! :eek:

3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I like Masters Bay Rum from Sally Beauty Supply. It's got a mild scent and is soothing instead of burning. I think the Virgin Island Bay Rum has a predominantly clove scent, which I don't really care for. In the Pinaud line, the Osage Rub is my favorite.

ObiDon and srpavko like this.
  4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Clubman Classic. I got rid of my V.I. Bay Rum in favour of something that was better - Captains Choice.

entropy1049 and jeraldgordon like this.
  5. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I think the Classic is very nice. Hangs around all day too, a bonus IMO.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Classic is good, but Ogallala's Sandalwood Bay Rum tops it. I like Master's Bay Rum too. Every bay rum is as distinct as a fingerprint.

Billy Goatee and dscaver like this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum I think smells excellent , I use more as a splash on cologne though. To use it as an aftershave is easy just combine it in the hand with witch hazel. The WH takes all the fire out of the bay rum which alone will sting a freshly shaven face. One member of another forum was a Pinaud expert and had a barber handout from Pinaud which advised barbers on how to use the bay rum with wh on clients.

The shaving vendors now carry so many different brands of Bay Rum it should be an easy task to find one that one might like.

otherstar and JRod22 like this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Only Pinaud I've tried is Clubman. I thought the scent was too strong, my wife didn't care for it, and it gave me a terrible headache. Some scents give me headaches, and that's why I gave up aftershaves and colognes many years ago. Recently I've found some that I can wear, but Clubman wasn't one.

I love Bay Rum! I have tried 2 Bay Rums, Captain's, and Masters, and like both. Neither one gives me a headache. Prefer Captain's, but Masters is less expensive.

9. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I've tried the Pinaud line and really don't care for any of them. Ended up trading them to another forum member. I'm just an Old Spice kind of guy.

BamaT likes this.
  10. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I like Pinaud Clubman. I've tried the VI Bay Rum, but it made me smell like a cookie (not kidding...that came from one of my kids).

For Bay Rum, I use either Royall Bay Rhum or Master Bay Rum.

11. Bill Jordan

Bill Jordan New Member

12. Bill Jordan

Bill Jordan New Member

My wife got me the Oglala brand from the Duluth catalog, it's great.

13. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Why not just use the Clubman Bay Rum. You have both going for you.

14. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I prefer non-clovey BR, such as Master, Stephans, Superior 70, and TSD. TSD's BR Cologne is great.

dscaver and bittermormon like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm not a fan of TSD's Signature Scent, which is a bay rum and bergamot blend. The Bay Rum is fine, but in SS the bergamot overpowers it. It's the only TSD scent I could never order again.

16. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

So far I've only tried 1) Stephans, 2) Superior 70, and 3) Clubman Bay Rum. That is also the order I prefer them based on scent. Skin care wise none of them do a whole lot for me. Some day I'll try the fancier one's I suppose but I'm getting ready to place an order for a liter of Stephan's from Williamsport Barber Supply after payday.

17. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

Pinaud Clubman original is one of my all time favorite after shaves. It embodies what a barber shop should smell like and transports me back to my youth when the barber my father would take me to would use a straight razor to shave my neck and then he'd apply some Clubman. Pinaud also makes a nice Bay Rum, that is a bit heavy and on the spicy side. I like Masters Bay Rum. It's cheap, easy to find (Sally's Beauty Supply), and is fairly balanced. Still working through some others. A lot of people really like Captain's Choice, but I was a bit let down by it. A lot of people fault Bay Rum after shaves for being heavy on the Cloves, but CC is really heavy on the Cinnamon. I'm not really sensitive to fragrances, but it gives me a bit of a headache every time I use it. I'm going to try his Lime after shave though, because his use of Glycerine and Witch Hazel really makes my face feel great.

entropy1049 and Paulie like this.
  18. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

Pinaud Clubman is my favorite A/S. I work in a scent free workplace though, so I only get to wear it on the weekends. I also love their Osage Rub, which is what I use during the week. The only Bay Rums I have are Masters and Ogalla. The Ogalla stays with me longer but I enjoy then both. I have used St John's Bay Rum once, and if it wasn't so pricey I would probably get a bottle. As I have liked all of the Pinaud products I have tried (except Lilac Vegetal), I really should get some VI Bay Rum. Being from Maine I really need to get some Kramperts too.

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've been thinking the same thing. A while ago I sent them an email asking if they had any stores in Maine that carried their stuff. I was hoping to get some while I was visiting my folks. Never heard back.

20. nascarfandan

nascarfandan Active Member

I received a bottle of the Pinaud Lime Sec for father's day that I really enjoy. It has a light enough scent that seems to last throughout the work day. Would definitely want to try some of the bay rum too sometime.