Shavette questions???

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 178-bplatoon, Feb 1, 2013.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

On ebay there are a couple of shavettes and I was wondering if anyone had heard of them and/or had an opinion of them.
    One is called A "Vincent" the company apparently also makes shavette blades( I'm not sure if they are proprietary or not to this razor) and the other is called a "Barbers shavette" it uses half DE blades. I'm guessing both or either Chinese or Pakistani made. I'm unclear on the difference between a Parker shavette and these razors? How is a Parker closer to a real straight?
    Another question when loading one of these razors with a half DE blade can the blade be carefully slid in betweem the two halves or must the halves but separated before blade insertion?
    Last question at least for now... Can a shavette blade be stropped? Both for an improved edge, longevity and of course the fun of doing it....:) I'm going to Sally Beauty Supply to see what they have today. :signs001: for any help you can give me...

[Edit] The SallyBeauty Supply by me has "ABSOLUTELY" nothing for shaving :(

2. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's nice to get some recognition around here ;)
    Vincent produces several styles of blades, but only one is suitable for shaving with.
    [​IMG]
    I honestly don't know what these are comparable to. It is safe to say that they will also fit one of the following styles of razor:
    Kai or Feather
    Fromm
    or Weck.
    For the money, the Weck sextoblade is the best razor. There is also a military version with a stainless handle that is very nice. Those take Personna Shaper Blades.
    The Parker is all metal and has a nice feel, ditto for the Sanguine. If you are going to buy a DE shavette, this is probably the best place to buy one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEEL-Shavi...ealth_HairRemoval_RL&var=&hash=item19cf1c60bd
    The half DE shavettes must be separated. The exception is the Shavette, which uses a plastic sleeve to hold the blade.
    Shavettes cannot be stropped.

When you were at Sally's did you ask for Shavettes or Hair Shapers? Every Sally's I have been in has a selection of razors, hair shapers, and scissors, usually kept in the same place, by the registers. They also usually stock Master's Bay Rum and Pinaud Clubman, though the cashiers (usually female) are sometimes surprised that they do, especially after I find it in the store after being told that they don't carry them.

ohpaos likes this.
  4. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

Sorry I cannot help you out much but... my name is Vincent!!!!:eatdrink023:nom nom nom nom

EDIT: My Parker SR1 works great. And Ryan is sending me the Weck Sextoblade. If you want to wait until I get it, I will write up a review.

Honing is not a good idea because the blade is thin. It will not hone properly because the blade will bend. They do sell a device that will hone it for you. DE blades are only 30 cents (or less) and you are only using half of it so buying a honer will not be saving you much money. As far as honing the Vincent blades, I have no idea.

5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  6. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

7. 178-bplatoon

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Having learned straight shaving by way of the shavette....I can't help but think maybe a straight is the best way to learn...and if you already have straight 'chops' then you probably will be able to get great shaves with a shavette without too much loss of blood...:eek:

I for one learned on the shavette and enjoyed most of it....there were a couple times when I just got bored with seeing my blood in the sink...and once I sliced my thumb open changing blades...but I was using a Sedef, which has a perticularly dangerous blade changing ritual...but all in all I know it can give a fantastic shave...

ohpaos and 178-bplatoon like this.
  9. 178-bplatoon

Yet another probably dumb question. Will any of the shavettes take a SE blade with the spine removed? SE blade and shavette seem like a natural fit. Has anyone ever tried it or heard of it being tried? :)

10. Bird Lives

No dumb questions....I haven't heard about the SE blade...I have heard some reviews of the Monsieur Charles which uses Injector blades, that raved about it...some were from Barbers....It is suppose to be one of the heavier shavettes and with a ridged blade like an injector....makes me want to try one...

But then every barber in Turkey uses the Sedef..........so I got one and then for a solid week, my sink every morning looked like a movie set from "Helter Skelter" :shocked003:

I believe the Weck Sextoblade that Ryan is talking about sounds like a solid fit too....I want to try that next I believe....but first I need to get my blood count back up...:happy097:

I did end up getting a pretty decent shave with mine though....so maybe my next purchase should be from Whipped Dog....I'm sure that will be alot easier....I'm just worried about the honing routine...I mean...how many razors will I have to ruin til it becomes fun?

178-bplatoon likes this.
  11. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

I just accidentally tapped my shavette over my middle and ring finger (don't ask how) , and very lightly but two cuts opened up immediately over both fingers.
    So even if you know how to shave with these...beware :eek:

ohpaos likes this.
  12. Bird Lives

I can dig it...They can be an adrenaline fix....:eek:

Monkeylord likes this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

Well at least you know it's SHARP!!! :)

14. 178-bplatoon

I'll have to look into the Sedef and the Monsieur Charles. The heavier, more, rigid the blade the better is what I'm thinking and my reason for asking about using a spineless SE blade, unless of course a spined one would work. Which of course leads right to using a real "Cuthroat" straight. I am just to "damn lazy" to hone it properly all the time. Hence my interest in shavettes with some kind of disposable blade....:)

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The "magic" hair shaper, sold at Sally's, uses the same design as the M. Charles.

16. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, so I ordered a Sanguine Shavette. I want to learn to shaving other people. I think it's a cool skill to have. At some point I see the opportunity to pick up a couple extra bucks here and there doing something I enjoy. My question is, does the same YMMV blade concept hold true when paired with a shavette? I purposely bought the type of shavette that uses DE blades. I've seem a lot of videos of barbers shaving with shavettes and they typically use Merker blades, which are not highly regarded around here. Obviously I can experiment with this myself once mine comes in, but was just curious if other people have noticed anything. I figure that blades preform differently in a shavette anyway because they are halved which probably reduces flex and the shave angle might be different.

17. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I find that the Derby 1/2 blades work best for me. They're DE's already split and individually wrapped . Very reasonably priced.
    (Shave other people for money. You run into Barber and Beautician Laws.)

18. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. May have to check those out.

19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've never really paid attention to what I put in my shavettes, I use the DE style so seldom. I do know that I've only put a feather in a shavette once. I didn't cut myself, but I think I gave myself the worst case of razor burn I've ever had. Now I stick with Weck Sextoblade razors and Personna Shaper blades.

20. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363603737.044714.jpg
    From DX.com is a very nice Parker clone for >5$us I believe it includes shipping.