Whipped Dog Silver Tip

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Ryan B, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Well, I've had my silver tip brush for a week. I had been using a Semogue 1305 for several months trying to see if that would be an accurate testing period. Well, it looks like the boar was too rough on my face and part of the reason for me getting irritation in my shaves.

So when I ordered my straight from Whipped Dog, I got a silver tip brush too. It cost me $28 and came with a soap sample.

I followed the directions that came with the brush on how to get the wet badger smell out of the brush. I then took it a step further and did some test lathers on a puck of Col. Conk Bay Rum soap. The smell retreated within a day.

Then I used it to lather up my newly acquired Proraso White Soap. Man, I had no problem with it whatsoever. It held the perfect amount of water and felt great when spreading the lather on my face. I got the right mixture down as far as soap and water amounts go.

Now here's the part you guys will like. My dad noticed I got a new brush. He told me he had tried it out and it was a step up from his badger brush (Vulfix Burlington Pure Badger.) So now I know what to get him for his birthday and it's something he can actually use instead of just throwing in a drawer and looking at for years.

2. Larry Stephenson

Larry Stephenson Active Member

Excellent. You're a good son. Aint the silvertips great? I love mine. Once the kinks are worked out and you get to the point you know what you like, it's like the gates open and you're off to the races, experimenting with different things. I learned on double edge when I was a kid and got away from them very quickly. Only recently having returned to them has been fun. Found an old 1930s brass Gillette DE that's now my go-to razor for DE. Perfect angle of blade for my face.

BamaT and Ryan Bales like this.
  3. Ryan B

Thank you, I try. The only thing I'm trying to get past is how much this thing sheds. It's a small problem though. I just use tweezers and pick out the stray hairs I catch mixed in with the lather on my face. Or mug. Or if I see one standing out of place on the brush I pull it out too.

Larry Stephenson likes this.
  4. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Enjoy your new brush !
    I have Silvertip knots from all the categories of TGN but after this i think i must test WD also
    The prices are fantastic.

5. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's my only complaint as well. I'm over the two week period and still encountering this. Was hoping it will stop at somepoint. Still a great brush though, just in a perfect world, all the hairs would stay in.

Ryan Bales likes this.
  6. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

I don't know about Larry's Silver Tips but I bought one of his Pure Black Badger knots, mated it with a VDH handle and ended up with a fantastic brush.

Ryan Bales likes this.
  7. Ryan B

I thought about buying a Pure Badger knot as well. But my dad has one, and I figured a little variety and a step up in softness wouldn't hurt for a few dollars extra.

8. Dac0418

Dac0418 New Member

It's good to see all these positive reviews for whipped dog silver tips. I'm looking for a new brush and I think this is the way I'm going to go. A little nervous about the smell, but everyone says its gone in a couple days. Now how to get one of those firehouse pottery handles and scuttles.

JRod22 likes this.
  9. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

The smell went away completely after lathering a couple times with it. The only thing that was a bit odd to me was that the brush seemed to discolor the water when i was soaking it and rinsing the brush. It could have been the soap i was using, but i dont really think so.

10. Ryan B

Is anybody else having shedding problems with their brush? Mine has been used a lot in the past few weeks and it's still shedding.

11. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Bottom line some brushes just shed, some, not so much. Yours, I would think should be close to done shedding expect for an occasional hair. Ryan, PM me your address, I''ll hook you up.

12. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

It shed a few hairs when i was first using it. Now it doesnt seem to excpet the occasional stray hair. My VDH brush sheds like a dog everytime i used it.

13. Ryan B

Yeah I have similar experiences like you. It's kind of annoying with the razor going across my face and when I go to rinse it seeing a badger hair in the razor lol.

14. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

Lol its crazy my vdh doesn't shed at all since the first week I've owned it

15. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Yeah this happens pretty much every shave for me. I've gotten over it since I enjoy every other aspect of the brush. It's just a shedder, and that's alright. I just pull the hairs out of my lather and throw them in the trash can.

16. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

Yeah just gets annoying. I am sure it doesnt help with the life of the brush either.

17. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I have a Black Badger from WD
    The knot was "dirty" needed 2 times cleaning (lather discolour)
    After this the bad smell gone
    Yes in the 2 first shaving i had that problem but now in the fourth the situation is steady
    It hasn't enough backbone as other Black Badger have.

18. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I have always said that my WD Silver Tip losses more hairs then I'd like, even when recommending it to other people. And I do understand that them being "dirty" and or discolored is just part of the deal. As I've stated before in some other thread, I think that Larry's knots skip out on a cleaning/dyeing process of some sort, thus his ability to sell them cheaper than the competition. Let me pull some of the text straight from the Whipped Dog site.
    "Knot Care

All badger hair knots will have an animal smell the first few uses. The odor lessens quickly, and after possibly a week of use will be gone or almost gone. After installation into a brush handle, you should wash your brush thoroughly in soapy water, and let it soak for 15 minutes. Repeat washings with soapy water will remove the odor more quickly. A packet of Oxi Clean stain remover soap is included with every order. Instructions similar to the notes in this section are also included. Alternately, spraying the knot with Lysol spray is used by some"
    " Buyer Comments
    ...Your silvertip knots are comparable to many high end knots in the market. Only difference between your super badger knots and other high end knots is that other treat their knots resulting in whiter and softer tips at time of purchase."
    My point is this: IMO Larry does a good job of describing his knots and does not make them out to be more than they are. I use my Silver Tip everyday and absolutely love it. Will I use it for years to come...probably not. But it was a great way to get introduced to silver tip brushes for a cheap price, similar to his straight razors. Larry has a special niche in the wet shaving market, and I am a huge fan of his products for what they are, a good place to start. Similar to a starter home or a entry level car. Most people start there but move on later down the road, some never make it past there, and the lucky few get to bypass this step completely. Just my two cents at least.

19. Ryan B

JRod's piece is spot on. I think Larry's route is best when you're just dipping your toes in. Then if it turns out you like it, great... if not then you didn't lose your behind. Me personally, I'll deal with whatever shedding because I will try and make this product work because there is still worse that you can get for less. It's all a YMMV issue. He really sets you up for success too.

20. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

I guess I do have one of Larry's Silver Tip Badger brushes. I recieved it as a gift last year. Have had no problems with it. In fact it is my favorite brush.

JRod22 likes this.