Transferring blades to a different razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TstebinsB, Oct 27, 2007.

1. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I only have three safety razors: the Merkur Progress (2x) and the Merkur 38c Baberpole. Even though I have almost 500 total blades of different brands, I don't always install a new blade into each razor. Sometimes I'll transfer the blade I'm using to the other razor when I switch razors. How many of you will actually transfer the old blade and how many of you just get a new blade?

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I will swap the same blade into different razors, but many times I will get a new blade too.

Guess thats a non-answer :o

Oh well ::

3. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

I have 3 DE's at the moment, One Merkur Progress, One Gelette Slim adjustable, and one Gelette super speed. I have not switched blades because I am trying different blades in different razors (along with shaving with straights which at the moment I am enjoying more than DE's) but I have many DE blades I am trying now not just for the blade itself but to see how they preform in each razor. I guess that didnt help you either. I guess Im doing the same thing you are..just taking my time about it.

Issy

4. Will

Will Nevermind

I just toss em.

I got tons and tons of blades now, why bother being thrifty. :rofl

5. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I might shave with a blade in my 38c for two days then on the third day, I'll switch to my Mergress and transfer the blade. I didn't always do this but I had a Dorco blade that gave me 10+ BBS shaves spread out over 3 weeks! I was using my Feather AC in between the safety razors.

6. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

7. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I'll keep note of it but so far it's been smooth shaving. At this point, there aren't too many things that really effect my results. I have my razor and blade preferences and my technique has become so refined that muscle memory kicks in when I shave. Like a baseball player on a hitting streak, I don't think, I just shave.:cool:

8. gagarin

gagarin New Member

I don't have any problem switching a blade from razor to razor. It lasts me just as long when I do so. Actually, I think it can be useful when trying to compare the performance of different razors while trying to keep all other factors equal.

Chuck

9. Will

Will Nevermind

Ahh but wont the variables change after a shave with the blade?

If you shave with one blade and switch said blade another razor, that blade will be on shave 2, thus changing the feel of the razor/blade.

Completely messes with the shave continuum. However YMMV. :rofl

10. gagarin

gagarin New Member

I was hoping you would overlook the gap in my logic:rofl

Chuck

11. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

If you toss them I would like to add somethng to the discussion here. Put them in a blade bank or some other sort of container. Then once the container is full then you throw the whole container in the garbage. I did this once threw out one used blade, my wife came along to empty the garbage and cut her hand on the blade. Sicne then I have been using a water bottle as a cheap blade bank. The watter bottel can be seen in the photos of my shave den. Although I need to update the pictures by uploading new images.

12. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

To dispose of old razors I use an old Altoid can. When it's full I super glue the lid down and wrap it a couple of times with some Duct Tape. I know of one person who uses a small evaporated or condensed milk can. When empty he slices small slits in the side on the bottom just wide enough for the razor to slide in. When full, he beats it flat with a hammer and throws it away. Keeps people and critters from getting hurt. A water bottle to me is still some what dangerous. A blade bank is probably the best and you can get one from Vintage Blades or Lees Razor and Sally's Beauty Supply sells them as well. They don't cost much. Lee gave me one when I bought a Rooney from him. But I've yet to fill up my Altoids can and it may take a while.

Enjoy your shave...:D

13. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Perhaps you are right Rasco, haven't thrown a way a bottle yet. Those watter bottels can hold a lot of used blades.

14. Damon

Damon Member

I change mine to different razors to see if there is any difference in the shave with a different blade angle. I will sometimes turn the blade over to see if the blade has a slight rolled edge.

15. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Never done this but might be an interesting experiment.

16. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

Wives tale... The blade is cut at the same angle on both sides... Doesn't make any difference... Won't extend the life of the blade at all...

Now it may shave differently if you use a different razor as will a new blade (e.g adjustable vs. a non-adjustable or Merkur vs. a Gillette). Different head geometry but the blade will be the same.

Enjoy your shave... :D

17. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I never switch, flip, etc. I usually only use my blades 2 time before changing them out anyways. Doesn't really make sense to transfer them from one razor to another for me. I found that it's more important to me to make sure I'm using an optimally sharp blade than it is to save a few pennies and be frugal. Blades are so inexpensive as it is compared with cartridges, I don't really concern myself with it.

As for blade banks, the one from Lee is great. I have one going and two spares put away.

18. gagarin

gagarin New Member

I suspect that in the heyday of the old stainless Wilkinsons and Gillettes, in the 60's and 70's, the typical blade would go a week with no problem. However, many of us are now used to blades which fall apart on the third shave, so throwing then away quickly seems reasonable.

I shave my face and head daily, and my Red IP's actually trend better as I use them. Shaves four through seven are great, with shave five usually the very best. I retire them after seven, and start with a fresh blade every Monday morning - keeps the math simple for me;)

Blades, of course, are a very individual experience, and my choice may not be yours. However, I'd encourage anyone to keep looking until they find a blade that can rise above the mediocrity of a two-day throwaway.

Chuck

19. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

I don't move a blade from razor to razor, I just put in a new one.

As for disposal of used blades, the empty DE blade containers of any brand works for me. The Gillette ones hold far more blades in the used blade slot than the 10 blades that came with them. The plastic variety blade containers can hold a few dozen used blades each, and they stay in them on the way to the trash can. I don't worry about used blades cutting anybody any more than I worry about the cans that I opened for dinner. Once in the trash it's all safe enough.

20. Damon

Damon Member

Sometimes I find different blade manufactures have different blade geometry like the persona blade to me feels different in my Gillette than does a Gillette or Merkur. I'v put calipers on the blade and some are wider than others, and I find some blades work better on certain razors.