Whipped Dog Silver Tip

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Ryan B, Feb 5, 2013.

1. FireLion1983

FireLion1983 Member

I just got my Whipped Dog Silvertip. By the third use, it's no longer shedding any hairs. The "musk" it had was pleasing to me, so I never bothered cleaning it and it's barely noticeable. But I'm a weird guy who likes nature and the way my dog smells (very similar, haha) - so take that for what it's worth.

JRod22 likes this.
  2. NativeShaver1661

NativeShaver1661 New Member

Larry's knots are every bit as good as the big English and German brands but he cuts corners on quality control, cleaning, and treatment of the hairs for softness before break-in to reduce price. All of these can be dealt with but require some effort and time. The "dirtiness" can be countered by using the Oxi Clean that he supplies with every brush and some shampoo if needed. Treatment of the hairs is countered by simply breaking the brush in as using it will soften the tips. Finally, quality control can be countered by contacting Larry about shedding and he will replace the brush with no questions asked, and no charge.

Hayter likes this.
  3. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

His Black Badger is much softer than other brands Black Badgers.

The shipping is very low so there is no problem cleaning the knot (i compromise) especially when he supplies OxiClean
    He is very good in communication.

In the first 2 shavings there were some hair loss but latter stopped
    My main problem is that there is no "enough" backbone
    The knot had a "trend" to make a gap in the centre.

:(

4. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I bought a Col Conk Pure badger brush from Target.com for $25 on a gift card i won in a raffle over xmas. I have to say I was drawn to it for the real wood handle and felt any badger knot in wood was worth the price. I have to say I've been very impressed, have only shed one or 2 hairs in the couple months i've been using it. I did rub the logo off the day i got it with my thumb...cheap stamp over a high laquer wood handle wouldn't have lasted a week.

JRod22 likes this.
  5. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

The mail on monday brought a "Tired Hound" Silvertip in 22mm, with 52mm loft. Shed like crazy during shampooing prior to use, and quite a few hairs yesterday when used for the first time. That seems to be it though - didn't lose a one this morning! I have to say, I love this brush! I think it just pushed everything else aside... Looking forward to receiving a 24mm with 50mm loft next week!

JRod22 likes this.
  6. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Did you snag Oscar's off the classifieds? That looked like such a nice brush, with a beautiful handle. I kept looking at it but just traded my Semogue 830 for another whipped dog silver tip so I was slow to pull the trigger on Oscars. Nice purchase there! I have the same feelings with my WD. Pushed all my other brushes aside. Still experimenting with this new Vie-Long badger-horse mix I picked up last week. Let's see if it can hold up my whipped dog standards.

7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Oscar PIF'd me a Finest Badger, Silver Tip, and a Grade A. I've only tried the Grade A, but these work like a boss.

JRod22 likes this.