Bay Rum recommendations

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by tommyboy923, Mar 25, 2013.

1. tommyboy923

tommyboy923 Member

Which one is the best? Tell me. Now.

I kid, I kid. :D

But really, I am looking for a recommendation. Is there a difference between a cologne and an afterhsave? I don't like the smell of most colognes. In seeking a bay rum, I would be looking for something to use as an effective aftershave, something soothing. A pleasant smell is, of course, desirable. I don't want a list of ingredients that reads like a package of Twizzlers. I prefer no dyes. Any insight is appreciated.

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The only one I like: ogallalabayrum.com

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Superior 70 Bay Rum.

Inexpensive and Good...

4. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Krampert's, or Captain's - both now available from Bullgoose. Very, very nice, light scents. Krampert's offers excellent skin care as well. Highly recommend both of these!

crackstar likes this.
  5. tommyboy923

tommyboy923 Member

Just bought a bottle on the world wide web. Woooo! Did the look of their bottle sway me? Yes. That and the fact that they distnguish between cologne and after shave. Can't waaaaaaiiiiiiitttt!!!!

6. richgem

Just shake it very well before use. I mean that literally. They formula is super saturated with frag oils that must be mixed very well before use.

7. tommyboy923

tommyboy923 Member

Great, now that Outkast song is in my head. "Shake it like a Polaroid pictuuuure . . . "

Thank you for the advice!

8. richgem

:D

9. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

My favorites are Ogallala Bay Rum and Captain's Choice. My preference for those two is based partly on the fact that they contain witch hazel, which I love, and partly on the fact that they are intoxicating!!!

I've tried Superior 70 and Master BR, but both of those were just too plain, too underwhelming for my tastes, but others love them so they're worth trying out for yourself.

Hodge likes this.
  10. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Not a fan of Ogallala. Captains choice is really good. I love Superior 70.

But my favorite is Bootlegger's Bay Rum. It's a mix of Superior 70, Masters, and Pinaud VIBR. It's great and it's cheap!

11. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Masters is good to.

Paul Turner and BigT like this.
  12. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

The only Bay rum I have tried is Pinaud and like it so far.

Medicdad417 likes this.
  13. voice940

voice940 Member

Ogallala Bay Rum is my favorite. I've tried a few others, but OBR is much smoother, and the witch hazel in it's ingredients makes my skin happy. Side note - the sandalwood and lime - bay rums from obr are my wifes favorites.

14. Moe

Moe Active Member

I've tried many (Captains Choice, Captains CO9T, All the Ogallalas, Superior 70, Masters, Pinaud, Bootleggers, Dominica, Dominica Lime). I could use any of them, their all good, but I seem to Like the Captain's bets. I've not tried Kramperts but hear good things about it. The previous remark about Ogallala is right. I shook and shook and shook my samples but it still came out with little oil droplets floating in it.

15. Dickyb25

Dickyb25 New Member

Just ordered kramperts my first bay rum

crackstar likes this.
  16. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I have only tried St Johns one time and really liked it. I think I am going to get some Kramperts though as it is made right here in Maine.

17. GarGuy

GarGuy Well-Known Member

Captains Co9T just can't be beat

18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

These are the ones I've used and the order in which I like them:)
    Pinauds Virgin Island(can burn like napalm :scared001:)
    Stephens
    Masters
    Boosters

19. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I tend to prefer the non-clovey BRs, such as:
    Superior 70
    Stephens
    Masters
    TSD (especially the cologne)

Of the cloveys, I like:
    Dominica, then Pinuad

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'm very curious where would you put Ogalala,Captains Choice and Kramperts in the Clovey/non-Clovey list? :)