Any Archers here?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Sara-s, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I shot in college, but haven't, since. This week, at Cabela's, I started browsing at bows. Funny how natural it felt, to draw a bow, after all these years. Since this sparked my interest anew, I learned that there is an archery club in the area. So I signed up for a lesson. More, after I have it.

So I am wondering if anyone else here is currently, or ever has been an archer.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I don't know if it counts as being an archer, but I have a compound bow and I used to bowhunt deer and turkey. It's been several years since I have gone though.

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You own a bow and have shot arrows from it. I'd say that counts.

sol92258 likes this.
  4. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I need to dust that thing off and get it some use I think.

5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Are you going to get a long bow or a recurve?

6. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

Same thing here.

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

They told me that they teach with compound bows. I shot with a recurve, in college. When I was trying bows at Cabela's, there was a beginner's compound bow I really liked. If I pursue this seriously, I will probably get that one.

8. Williams Warrior

This is such a strange thread as I've been having dreams of late shooting a recurve bow for some reason, and I've never shot a bow in my life.:scared007:

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Maybe it's time to give it a shot (pun intended.)

10. Williams Warrior

There's an archery shop and range about 1/2 a mile from my house and I pass by it everyday just wanting to go in. Money is too tight right now, but hopefully within the next year I'll give it a shot.

11. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I play darts does that count?

jeraldgordon likes this.
  12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Well when I was a kid...I had a bow and arrow set....You know....the arrows have those brown suction cups on the tips...of course those came off and we sharpened them in a pencil sharpener and I bagged my cousin :eek: .......lol....I don't remember, what type bow it was, but he went down pretty easy.....;)

Haven't hunted since then though....:happy102:

Don't get the wrong idea.....my cousin was fine....But that ended my Bow-hunting career prematurly as we weren't allowed to play with bows and arrows any more....but our sword fighting became legendary in my Grand-Mother's neighborhood that Summer....lol

dscaver, Ryan B, sol92258 and 3 others like this.
  13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I used to shoot the bow in college. It was a lot of fun! The archery range on campus was open outside of class hours, so a friend and I would often go and get a little extra practice in. There were lots of archers there all having a great time. Students could often be seen carrying bow cases around campus, so archery must have been very popular.

I have not shot the bow very often in recent years, but want to get back into archery. My primary motivation was reading magazines like Primitive Archer and Traditional Bowhunter. It would be so cool to make my own bow like the folks in those magazines! I recently found an outdoor school about 20 miles away that gives bowmaking lessons, and intend to take one of their classes. There is an indoor archery range near me, and a number of outdoor ranges and archery clubs, so finding a place to shoot should not be a problem.

14. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I've shot longbow in the past. I got rid of it and have been wanting to get another.

15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

All kidding aside from my previous post....
    I've always considered Archery a most noble and rewarding endeavor.
    Once in High School I was a distance runner...and sometimes we ran past where the Archery Club practiced. One day I ran over to talk to a couple of the prettiest girls in school who were in the club. When one of them asked me if I would like to try my hand at a few shots...They were not compound but the recurve type...I had no experience and the target was not close, so I didn't really want to be embarassed, but it would not have been nice to demure...Sooo....

As she handed me the bow, she showed me quickly and nonchalantly what to do at the sametime.....as I drew my sight picture and envisioned the flight path, controled my breathing and allowed the arrow to leave....I lucked into a close to center hit....they forced me to try a couple more....They all hit very close to one another....The girls were super impressed, but the experience was so thrilling I forgot about my original motivation...Now it was as if I was alone...Just me and the Bow and arrows and the target....Thrilling!

I've always been a very good pistol shot, and while its a similar thing its also very different...Instead of relaxing before and after an explosion....with Archery everything is so silent....and the explosion is the release of the energy that you create when you draw back the bow...and it suspends there for a moment til you release it....

I'll never forget that experience, of releasing the arrow and watching its silent flight....and allowing it to land right were you wanted it to.....It was like Zen!!....I always wanted to get into it futher...I was lucky that day...Sure I do believe I have some natural talent for it, but I would need, and love to develope it to actually be good or consistant...haven't had the opportunity yet, but the night's still young...:)

PLANofMAN and Sara-s like this.
  16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I've been shooting for seven years now. Mostly recurve (Olympian style: ya know, with all shabang of visors, stabilisers and such), but from time to time I steal my son's longbow for some barebowshooting (just a pole with a rope and some arrows). We shoot mostly indoors at 18 metres /60 feet. I may upload a pic if I can find one.

Oh yeah: In The Netherlands bowhunting is prohibited. Probably because the woods are too small.

17. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

:D

<edith bunker> Oh... Awwwwchie! </edith>

Shot through the heart....

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Very cool! I would love to see some pictures. And I could see why small stands of woods make bowhunting a bad idea.

Douglas Carey and macaronus like this.
  19. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I used to do quite a bit of bowhunting with compound bows and the occasional crossbow here; however that was around high school age, up until my mid 20's. Lately I have had somewhat of a hankering to find a true longbow but as soon as my wife saw the pricetag of a genuine yew bow made in England she said I'd have to move in with the bow somewhere else.

20. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Off and on since Jr High...though I haven't shot in probably 14 years now, since college. Can't remember the class, but archery was part of it during the semester.
    I shoot arrows like I bowl...sometimes great, sometimes can't keep it out of the gutter (same can be said for my mind....:angelic007: )

Too bad ProfSaffel hasn't been on in awhile, one of his recent hobbies has been making bows and arrows. Literally, getting wood, carving the bow, finishing it, etc. I think he even hand-made some of the strings, though it ended up being too time-consuming so he hasn't done anymore. They look quite nice, and shoot quite well as well, so I hear; I haven't actually had a chance to go shoot any of them yet.

Oddly enough, just a couple of days ago, me and the kids were having a Nerf gun war (mommy was at the store :D), one of them got in my closet and found my old compound bow, and got me to thinking about it again...this is the third case of serendipity or whatever this week. A few days ago, I got to wondering if you shook and egg hard enough if it would mix the white and yolk, then you could make hard-boiled scrambled eggs...a few hours later, an article I stumbled on the net somewhere described just that. Then I got home and was trying to dig out my keys, and for some reason recalled the KeyPort...lo and behold a few hours later, read an article about a new model they're coming out with (haven't seen anything about those in a couple of years).
    And now this.....I wonder if I should start freaking out yet....:scared011: