How often do you chase the BBS?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Leo K., Apr 5, 2013.

1. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Just curious, how often to you chase the BBS? Everyday? Every other day? Just the weekends? Never?

I’ve tried to keep it cool (to prevent irritation and burn) but every morning I find myself chasing the BBS, and of course, it doesn’t happen every day. This I understand, but I can’t help feeling a little down when it doesn’t happen. As a newbie with OCD tendencies, I have a tendency to over do things when I'm new at it.
    Lately I’ve been telling myself, “I’m a newbie, I have a long ways to go, a lot to learn, and relax and enjoy the ride.” It helps to remember that. I love this community because I read all the different routines and shaves and see that it’s all about the journey and ritual, and not perfection. Perhaps there is no perfection, only beard reduction!

I’m also happy my neck seems to tolerate the buffing during touch-ups after the three passes. My face must be adjusting to the wet shave :)

Shaver X, Keithmax and Lexicon Devil like this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

There is an old Klingon proverb..tlhIngan Hol: noH QapmeH wo' Qaw'lu'chugh yay chavbe'lu', 'ej wo' choqmeH may' DoHlu'chugh lujbe'lu'..Destroying an Empire to win a war is no victory. And ending a battle to save an Empire is no defeat..Philosopher Kahless...

drew23, 178-bplatoon and Leo K. like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm more of the "if it happens great" camp. I really don't worry about it or even "chase" it so much as just go for something "good enough" without being too perfect about it.

drew23 and Leo K. like this.
  4. richgem

Hmmm... someone took his nerd pills today. :D ;)

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Lol just be thankful I didn't go with the full Klingon cyrilic. Ya like Richgem is saying, it's not really necessary to push the issue to distraction. If you get a darn good shave and it looks and feels right, then that's really what it's all about..Qapla!..

Leo K. likes this.
  6. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

I've always chased it every time I shave. However, I don't have to shave but every 3-4 days if I want to - and until now, I kept to that schedule. I'm starting to enjoy shaving now and we'll see what happens.

Leo K. likes this.
  7. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Every shave I have, I expect to be BBS. But, I don't go after it, so to speak. I do 2 passes and perhaps a touch up on my difficult areas. If it's BBS, which it usually is, Great, if not, then I am happy with a DFS. When I began my DE journey a couple of years ago, I was doing 3 and sometimes 4 passes each shave. Once I learned my whisker map, I dropped the extra passes because I was having great smooth comfortable shaves without them. I think most folks when starting on something new, have a tendency to be over zealous, the Shave Gods certainly knew that I was. lol I want to add too, that I use a str8 razor now, and that has a bearing on the closeness of the shave as well. When I do sometimes use my DE alone, it's still 2 passes and a quick touch up if needed.

Leo K. likes this.
  8. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I have only tired for BBS once. Got irritation and in growns like 2 days later when it all started growing back. I usually don't even go XTG. I have sensitive skin and get ingrown hairs a lot. No chase for me. Just looking for comfort and decent shave. 1 WTG, extra WTG pass on my chin, then touch ups. I can't even imagine rubbing my face ATG and not feeling stubble.

ohpaos likes this.
  9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I never go against the grain, and believe me I've tried to make it work, but my skin just won't allow it. My 2 pass shave is DFS+, so there's just the smallest bit of stubble above the skin.

Leo K. likes this.
  10. dimmerswitch

dimmerswitch Active Member

I do 3 passes and I almost always get BBS. I find that any stubble I feel when I'm rinsing off my face disappears a few minutes after I dry it off.

I do feel a twinge of disappointment if I miss a spot. I keep feeling the rough spot like I would poke at the space left by a missing tooth.

Leo K. and maltedmilk like this.
  11. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

It's a bit like training for a marathon. If you focus too much on your ultimate goal (race time), you start to shortchange things like conditioning, strength etc. Not only do you risk injury every time out, but daily runs aren't fun anymore.

With shaving I get the best results (BBS, DFS), when I take time to enjoy the pre-shave routine & focus on technique. If I let myself get too preoccupied with the end result, I make mistakes & things aren't fun anymore.

Set small goals (eg "try PSO 3x this week") & with time, you'll be hitting "personal bests" more often than not! :happy088:

12. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I do it on Sundays. Every weekday shave is 2 passes. My fact can't handle a 3 pass more than once or twice a week. Any more than that and my face is toast and i have to go a week without shaving so it can heal.

I used to think I was a failure if I didn't get BBS everyday (thanks to another forum). Then I said forget it...im going for comfort!

Leo K. and bittermormon like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Never. I just let it happen.

Leo K. and srpavko like this.
  14. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I never aim for bbs. The few times I've achieved it I've ended up with irritation and I still needed to shave again the next morning. I'm happy with being non-sandpapery, mainly because my wife is happy with me that way.

Leo K. likes this.
  15. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I try to like once a week, but end up doing it like 3. I just get to feeling stubble and saying one more pass.
    [​IMG]

Leo K. and maltedmilk like this.
  16. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

I have PTSD from that Klingon Style video (richgem, expect a bill), but I found this post very enlightening. :happy088:

Leo K. likes this.
  17. richgem

Well, I doubt this will help, but here goes...

Lexicon Devil likes this.
  18. richgem

Awful kind of you, but I don't really need a spare. :p

ohpaos likes this.
  19. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I always get BBS except for the weird area around my neck, with that I have to be super careful and I've gotten BBS a few times. It's awesome to have it smooth with no irritation.

Leo K. likes this.
  20. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I don't chase it. I just do two passes and maybe touch ups if I miss an area. I'm never BBS on my neck, too much room for irritation and ingrowns.

Leo K., ohpaos and youngunn like this.