What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by oscar11, Nov 22, 2012.

1. iambatman85

iambatman85 Well-Known Member

Currently reading Z 2134. Ive also recently started watching walking dead so I'm just getting into the zombie thing

[​IMG]

2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Went into the Pittsburgh airport bookshop to pick up a book to read on the flight home. Found Dune by Frank Herbert that I read probably 30 years ago and decided to reread, it's obvious why it's considered a masterpiece of SF. I just wish they'd make a good 6-hour miniseries of the book, the movie versions don't do it justice.

Lexicon Devil and Norseman like this.
  3. Erik Redd

Started Means of Ascent by Robert Caro a few days ago. It's the second book in a four volume biography of Lyndon Johnson. I read the first one about 25 years ago and enjoyed it. The final volume was just released in the past few weeks, the press on it enticed me to get the 2nd and 3rd volumes (they were dirt cheap as used books). Fascinating reading.

4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Interesting! I may have to get that series.

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist except when it comes to the JFK assassination. I'm fairly knowledgeable about terminal ballistics, rifles, etc., and I do not buy the Warren Commission's report. My dad always thought LBJ was connected somehow. It would be interesting to read that series' take on JFK's assassination.

BigT likes this.
  5. Erik Redd

That would probably be in the final volume then. The first volume concentrates on his life up to about 1940, a couple of terms as congressman and then his failed senate run. The second volume is from 1940 to about 1948 and his successful senate race, I think the third book covers his years in the Senate and the final book covers the vice-presidency and presidency.

I find all the political and business deals and relationships the most interesting. You can see how someone can be elected a dirt poor congressman and then have $20 million dollars 25 years later.

6. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Just finished up "Fall of Hyperion" by Dan Simmons. Now I am trying to decide between "Use of Weapons" by Iain M Banks and "Absolution Gap" by Alastair Reynolds.

Peter Allen likes this.
  7. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I'm reading PU-239 and Other Russian Fantasies. Talk about some depressing stories. I saw the movie that was based on the first story in the book and absolutely had to read the original story.

I'm also reading Red Seas Under Red Skies, which is the sequel to The Lies of Locke Lamora. It's a great fantasy novel and provides some crazy contrast to PU-239.

Lexicon Devil likes this.
  8. Robzilla

Robzilla Well-Known Member

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. How have I not read this book already, it is amazing!

9. Robzilla

Had to put this away for a while and concentrate on some work stuff, but I just finished it last night and it was awesome. Now on to The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolf

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

An excellent and 'accessible' commentary for both scholarly and non-academic use.

I'm plowing my way through the third (and final) book of Rick Atkinson's superb WW2 trilogy, "The Guns at Last Light" (http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Atkinson/e/B000APAHIA

Also reading Frank Violas's "God's Favorite Place on Earth" (and no, it's not Las Vegas)— a retelling of Christ's numerous visits to Bethany. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0781405904/?tag=thshde-20

And just recently finished a fine book entitled, "Code Talker: The First and Only Memoir By One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WW2" by Chester Nez & Judith Avila
    http://www.amazon.com/Code-Talker-Original-Talkers-ebook/dp/B005ERIRHW/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370274322&sr=1-2&keywords=code talkers

11. Peter Allen

Peter Allen Member

'Stalin the court of the red Czar", biography that is actually readable.

12. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I'm finishing Steve Jobs biography soon. Great read of a brilliant businessman!

13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Right now I'm working on Gaspipe by Philip Carlo. It's about the Sicilian Mafia boss Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso associated with the Lucchese family. He was in La Cosa Nostra and became a made man in the 70's. He was a notorious crack shot, cold blooded killer, and close friend to many of the Sicilian mafiosos. His prime stretched from the early 60's to the early 90's.

14. jabberwock

I just began The Human Division, by John Scalzi. This is the latest novel in the Old Man's War series, it was originally serialized in 13 parts, but was released in full last month. I'm a big fan of the OMW series and John Scalzi in general, so I was quite happy when this finally came out.

Iacchus likes this.
  15. ins0ma

ins0ma Well-Known Member

I'm just finishing up Dan Brown's Inferno. I bought it for a recent business trip, and it's a great airplane book, much like the rest of his stuff. Good mix of light history and a rolling plot that's perfect for keeping you entertained for a few hours at a time.

16. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Just re-read 1984 ... Seems more appropriate than ever before ha....

5Savages and Peter Allen like this.
  17. Robzilla

John Scalzi is awesome. I loved Old Man's War. I picked up Redshirts the other day and I will be reading it soon.

Iacchus and jabberwock like this.
  18. jabberwock

Redshirts is great, I really love the whole concept.

Iacchus likes this.
  19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Is it on par with Angels and Demons + Da Vinci Code? I've never read a book that captivated me like those two - epic brilliant reads! So if it's up in that league, I so need to visit Amazon soon.

20. ins0ma

ins0ma Well-Known Member

Very much so, the protagonist is the same in all 3 novels, and if you liked the first two you'll enjoy this one as well. I found Inferno to be less of a puzzler than Da Vinci Code, in that I spent less time trying to solve the mystery as I was reading it, but that could also be because I'm more used to Brown's style now, having read all of his books, than I was when I first read the Da Vinci Code.