My heritage

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by CatMan, Nov 5, 2007.

1. CatMan

CatMan Member

No, this is not an eBay special. :D
    Recently I found out that I inherited this beauty from my late Grandpa, who passed away in 1955. The razor had been "stored" in my Dad's desk drawer since then. When he got to know that I'm interested in straight razors, he remembered Grandpa's one and only razor and sent it to me. Yeah, now it's all mine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The razor is marked "WALU - Germany" and the other side "ERN". ERN may be the initials of the person Grandpa inherited the razor from. Does "WALU - Germany" sound familiar to anyone?

I'm in the process of restoring it. The scales have been removed, the blade cleaned up and polished. I honed until the chip in the middle of the edge disappeared. Not really sure about the new scales. I made two pair, one of oak, and one pair of poplar. Just wanted to try something different. I'll upload the photos of the finished razor probably by the end of the week, if it's worth showing, that is. I'm a beginner, mind you! ;)

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Very cool, Klaus!

Can't wait to see the pics of it restored.

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Very nice pickup :)

4. JMS

JMS New Member

ERN would not be the initials, but a well known maker of top notch razors!
    Not only do you have a wonderful keepsake, but also a blade that I will bet is going to be one of your top three shavers!

After you hone out that chip of course!

5. JMS

JMS New Member

C. Freidr. Ern & Co. 1873-present (this may not be the right company)

ERN is also responsible for the famed "Crown & Sword" straight razors!

6. CatMan

CatMan Member

Wow! Who would have thought this! Thank you!

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have always like the idea of using the same razor that took care of my family for generations. Unfortunately the generations before me have not really agreed, they tend to regard what ever came before them as trash. I have been able to reconstruct what my pop used (he is still alive), and what his pop used and what my other grand father used. I was a wee one when my grandpop was visiting. I walked into the room where he was staying and found a double edge razor sitting on the dresser. Did not know what to make of it at the time but in my collection at the moment there is a 60s flair tip that is identical to the one that he used.

8. CatMan

CatMan Member

I hear you!
    Wished my dad would have taught me how to use a straight, but unfortunately he never used one himself. He thinks cartridge razors with as many blades as possible are the best inventions ever. Good things sometimes skip one generation, I guess.

9. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

If you had no teacher for a pop, how did you learn to use a straight? There is no precedence in my family for using a straight, but some of my super speeds bare a striking resemblence to the ones my grandpop's used.

10. CatMan

CatMan Member

I learned it watching videos online, Lynn's DVD, and reading forums like this one. Not that I really know how to operate a straight, but I'll get there eventually. The results are already pretty good.

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

+1 I'm working on it.

Unfortunately, all my shaving experience is self researched and taught. My father was tossed out of the house when I was 8, my uncle, one street ove was discouraged from spending too much time with me by my aunt, the witch :D, and my grandfather, who did use a double edge or injector razor had a series of strokes and after several years of never full recovery, he always had at least one piece of toilet tissue on his face. Not very inspiring. God bless him.

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

So which one do you chose to follow the tradition of? I would recommend your pop.

13. Will

Will Nevermind

I learned like a man

DIY :rofl

14. Padron

Padron Active Member

Nice blade, Congrats on your family heirloom :D. I have a couple Ern's pretty nice blades.

15. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

ERN makes some nice blades. I have a 6/8 round Crown & Sword that is one of my best shavers!

16. CatMan

CatMan Member

Thanks for the encouraging comments about the blade!
    Trying to make replacement scales, I just screwed up. I tried to CA the scales. Something must have gone wrong. I assume even the top 2-3 layers are supposed to cure? Mine did not. After one day of rest still sticky. Besides the surface looked like the surface of the moon, just without the American flag ;). So, I spent some time sanding them down again, and applied good old woodworker treatment: staining + sealing (at least 2-3 coats, the sealing that is). After the first coat it looks pretty decent. Maybe I can get a presentable razor out of it after all.

17. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Wish I had a tradition like that in my family.

18. Will

Will Nevermind

2 words.

Start one.

19. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Oh, believe me Mottern Man I am going to. My son is three and as such does not shave as yet. When he does I intend to pass on the knowledge that otehrs in this forum have taught me as well as other forums.

Here is an interesting and related question, in order to pass down the tradition I will need to select one of my Super Speeds as a starter razor. I would like to ask forum members opinion on the matter of which is a starter. My own opinion is that the 40s is more of the starter razor then the others with the most advanced being the 70s one, it can be a bit harsh on me from time to time. I have a 40s, 50s, 60s, 60s red tip, 60s blue tip, and a 70s. Would have loved to have a 80s and 90s models if there had been such a beast. Which do you think is the best starter razor? My opinion is the 50s.

20. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

It would actually be WALD, I believe.