SoS: April 15, 2013 - April 21, 2013

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

Hey, Jeff! It is so nice to see you again! It is my shame but I dropped the signature razor and the scale cracked. It is still in one piece, but can split, which I really don't want to happen. So I use it only for SPECIAL shaves and very careful with it. I really love how wedge razor performs, it is totally different from hollow-grinded blades. I hope I can fix the scale when it become warmer and I can get to the garage workshop.

2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Friday
    Pre: Hot shower
    Soap: TSD Cherry Lemonade
    Brush: Vie Long 12603 (horse)
    Razor: G8 injector
    Blade: Schick (4) and 3 passes
    Aftershave: Lab Series aftershave spray
    Cologne: Pour un Homme de Caron

Loved the scent of the soap, but didn't have an aftershave that seemed appropriate to follow. Picked the Lab Series because it is almost unscented, just a light citrus scent. Followed with the cologne after a few minutes. Very nice shave, but I like my boar and badger brushes better than the Vie Long. I've got a #6 horsehair on the way from Bestshave.net, I'll have to see how that compares.

wknicholas, macaronus, ohpaos and 8 others like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Yay Friday...

Muhle R41 (2013) - Weber Bulldog handle
    Voskhod (2)
    Semogue SOC Boar
    Institut Karite
    Alum
    Superior 70

Day 2 with the new R41. IMO being slightly tamed from the 2011 version is a good thing. It shaves much like the Barbasol floating head. I did give myself a small cut, but the shave still gets a solid thumbs up.

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Friday:

NXT Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :love055: :smiley freezing:
    #6 Horsehair
    Super Speed/Rapira day 5
    Godrej Menthol Mist SC :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Anherb AS Conditioner :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Barbon AS :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    YSL Pour Homme EDT

I had to rush this shave a little but it still turned out BBS and very comfortable. The weather forecast is for very warm temperatures here, so the Godrej Menthol Mist cream came in very handy because it can literally freeze a man's face off. The Anherb conditioner and the Barbon aftershave are so icy as well. ;) :D

Have a great weekend, my friends and please forgive me for not showing any photos! :)

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Happy Friday From Florida!

Continuing to dust off more neglected gear:

Hot shower
    Vulfix 404 Ba/Bo
    Monsavon Bol A Rasor
    Star 3-Piece
    Astra SP (3)
    Cold water rag
    Aqua Velva Redwood

2-Passes with blade buffing touch-up = DFS!

Have a great weekend Ya'll!

image.jpg

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Friday

Prep: Hot shower, AoS pre-shave oil
    Coffee: Maxwell House French Roast, BLACK
    CD: Glenn Kaiser ~ Blues Heaven, Vol. II
    Soap: QCS Celestial Woods
    Brush: Ever Ready 200T
    DE: Gillette Sheraton
    Blade: Astra SP, day 5, 3 passes
    Post: Cold water rinse, L'Oreal Comfort Max ASB, Pinaud Clubman
    'Stache Wax: Steve's Own

Darn near BBS.

7. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

Thursday 18-04-2013

Razor: Muhle R106
    Blade: Polsilver SI (4)
    Brush: Horse hair #6
    Cream: SuperMax Classic
    AS: Denim White

Friday 19-04-2013

Razor: Muhle R106
    Blade: Polsilver SI (5)
    Brush: Horse hair #6
    Cream: Karo Classic
    AS: Brut

8. Richard Jackson

Richard Jackson Well-Known Member

Its 40 and rainy here, the Tabac and Musk should help keep me warm. I'm sure you all know and are as sick as I am, but please say a prayer for those in Boston. If you're not the praying type, please think a good thought and release some positive energy into the world. I hope you all have a nice weekend, tell those close to you that you love them.
    002.JPG

dcc, wknicholas, oscar11 and 12 others like this.
  9. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

SOTD Friday 4-19-2013

Gillette NEW Short Comb
    Personna Medical Blade
    Proraso PSC
    Classic Shaving Lilac SS in OS Mug
    GT G4 Scuttle
    Col Conk Barbershop Badger
    Thayer's Witch Hazel
    Nivea Replenishing ASB
    Pinaud Lilac Vegetal ASL

The Lilac's are blooming this morning! (at least in my shave den) Just picked up the NEW Short Comb and giving it a first use. I love the Long Comb NEW's and I'm sure the Short Comb will be just as great.

Shave Photo 194SM.jpg

dcc, wknicholas, dinatali and 10 others like this.
  10. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Those VDH brushes are the pits IMO, as they do a poor job compared to Omegas. I have a brand new in the box Shea Moisture Shave badger brush that you can have, just send me a pm with your address. I have one of the first versions and they do an excellent job, just a little prickly until you get used to it.

dcc, wknicholas, macaronus and 7 others like this.
  11. Williams Warrior

Friday:

Cetaphil Face Bar
    Shave Secret Oil
    Williams Mug Soap
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue
    Afta Fresh
    Brut Dominant
    Omega 49 Big Red
    Shumate 5/8
    :happy036:

dcc, wknicholas, macaronus and 8 others like this.
  12. Williams Warrior

Where in the world did you get AV Redwood? I've never heard of that one.:signs002:

macaronus likes this.
  13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Bought it off fleabay. It came in a four pack called The Smart Set. The four scents are: redwood, surf, frost lime and ice blue. I paid $59.00 for the set. Most of the time you can find one or more of these flavors on fleabay for $59.00 EACH. I debated for a long time whether or not to open the box. This morning I caught a wild hair and decided that when it comes to shave gear, for me, nothing is sacred. Use it or lose it so to speak.

macaronus, crackstar, ohpaos and 4 others like this.
  14. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366392720.163319.jpg

Friday morning!

Axe Chilled facial wash/V05 Conditioner
    Shave Secret
    Barbasol Soothing Aloe
    Schick E2 razor with Schick blade (1)
    Witch Hazel
    Captain’s Choice Bay Rum

Wow and WOW.

My first shave with the Schick E2 razor was an amazing experience. The smoothest shave of my life, and a darn near BBS to boot. I was totally not prepared for the Schick experience, I now I understand why folks sing it’s praises. The Schick shave is a totally different experience than my DE’s. I can’t wait to shave again tomorrow!

Before I started, I was nervous, this was my first single blade experience. But as soon as I started the shave I found the angle. By the third pass my angle got better, the sweet spot appeared. The razor seems to show you how to use it, it’s design helps you along. I did the usual three pass shave with touch-ups. I didn’t really buff this time, I used very light short strokes on the trouble areas. As I washed up I noticed how close my shave was, especially on my neck, which usually takes a bit of time to get all the stubble. The Schick cut the trouble areas with less stokes. That was the most surprising aspect of the shave, the ATG passes were easier! It seemed effortless.

I connect this razor to WW II, my grandparent’s generation, to the America of invention and independence, and a chance to stay in touch with this lineage.

“Schick E2, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”

Aces!

dcc, wknicholas, oscar11 and 10 others like this.
  15. bigmac53

bigmac53 Well-Known Member

Hot shower
    TSD preshave balm
    TSD Lemongrass and Cedarwood soap
    Semogue 1305
    Muhle r41 w/ Feather
    Cold water
    Alum
    WH
    Aqua Velva

16. Richard Jackson

Leo! What is most important... don't give up!! IMHO I always use a boar brush for hard soaps as the bristles do a better job of beating the lather into cooperation. The downside is they don't hold as much water as a badger. Here's what I do. After showering I rub the stick on my facial stubble for 60 seconds or so. I rinse my brush with hot water, and at this time there is very water in the brush. I brush my face until you get that thin, white later that is 3mm thick and seems like it will dry any second. If you know what I'm talking about, it isn't that bad of a spot. So you have the thin lather on your face and the thin lather on the brush that makes the bristles stick together like a paintbrush. What I now do is with a sink basin full of water dip the tippy-tip in the water and brush my face. Each time you go back for a teaspoon or so of water the lather should get thicker and bigger. I try to add as little water at a time as I can. Eventually I'll have a thick lather on my face and enough on my brush for another pass or two. Also its nice because if you can keep adding fresh hot water a little at a time, I find its the best way to keep my lather warm without drying it out. It can be done, and making a lathering is fickle. Have a wonderful weekend, don't give up, and please report your success!

17. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've been using Arko the same way as you this week. I've found that if I leave lots of water in the brush and lather right on top of the puck I get a great creamy lather.

wknicholas, macaronus, ohpaos and 3 others like this.
  18. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

Schick Injector
    Omega 599 Silvertip
    Mikes Barber Shop
    Pinaud Clubman

I kind of rushed today and only did a 2 pass. Not the best shave but I was just trying to not be scruffy. Surprisingly I got a few weepers on my neck, I think maybe the blade may be done. It was probably shave 7 or more on it.

19. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Richard, thanks for your encouragement! I'm definitely going to stay with lather mixing. I'm planning on buying a tube cream next. I had a bit of a skin reaction later yesterday from the Arko (unless it was the brush action), and now I'm hesitant to use it :(

20. Richard Jackson

I understand, I find creams to be a lot easier and less finicky. I think a good lather with a soap is rewarding. Starting with a drier lather isn't a bad spot, I'd still suggest adding to that dry lather tsp. by tsp. of water rather than loading it all up at once and expecting an explosion of lather. I find creams explode, and soaps have to be built. You can always add water, but you can't take it out. Anyhow, I know you'll figure out something that works for you and that will in tern help someone else. Enjoy!