Microsoft Office 2007

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Lyrt, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Oh God, the colours! Oh God the icons for retards! oh God had-to-tweak-the-registry-to-remove-that-awful-cleartype! Oh God my eyes!

Let’s remove that infamy right now. Back to Office 2003. I just hope Vista is not to XP what Office 2007 is to Office 2003.

2. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

As the resident techie I can understand your not liking the icons in 2007. Might I make a recommendation? Try Open Office, I think that you will find it more preferable.

3. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

I actually tried it many, many moons ago. I believe it was called Star Office back then. Did you try the new version Lotus Symphony suite by IBM?

4. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

For now Vista is to XP what Office 2k7 is to 2k3.

I got a free upgrade coupon with a Dell I purchased previous to the release of Vista. It's great up until the point you try to start installing software you use, or you discover a peice of software you use isn't Vista ready. When Xp was released you could easily install software you used on Windows 2000 or to some extent Windows 98 SE without fear of regsitry coruption. I learned the hard way that if the software isn't Vista ready, you should stay away from it.

5. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Open office tells me that theres has been "Vista ready" for a year already.

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Thanks for letting us know. I run Windows XP Pro at home on two systems and Windows 2000 here. All have Office 2003.

7. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

To be fair, I think Microsoft tried to simplify and make the interface clearer, an effort new users may value. However, those like me who use Word and Excel on a daily basis may grouch and prefer the previous interface. What I find deplorable is Cleartype is imposed by default. If you want to remove it, you have to tweak the registry and the change will only affect what you’re typing. Menus, icons and the rest will keep the Cleartype smoothing.

8. Austin

Austin Member

I am still in the process of learning this product. It is a little confusing compared to past iterations of office. I can always go back to 2003.

9. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

I'll probably be upgrading soon since I can download it from my Universiy website for free.

What is Cleartype though?

10. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

From Wiki: ClearType is the Microsoft implementation of subpixel rendering technology, aiming to improve the appearance of text on certain types of computer display screens, especially LCD flat-panel monitors. It was introduced with Windows XP, but kept turned off by default. With Windows Vista, ClearType is now turned on out-of-the-box.

In short, it sucks.

11. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I couldn't have said it better. Vista and Office 2007 both look great to me, but everything is not where I feel it should be. I think this is another attempt to make computers usable for the masses, but in the process they have made it very confusing to people that have worked with them all along...

12. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

ok so....where's the on button again???? Look I can move the little arrow!!!!
    E what???? Click on the what thingy????

Raf

13. Austin

Austin Member

That is exactly what I'm confused about. I will have to spend a Sunday learning how to use it.

14. sparky5693

Administrator
    I still don't have it down yet. I can't believe i'm saying this, but why couldn't they leave good enough alone. Adding features is fine, but this is like an entirely new program.

15. CatMan

CatMan Member

OpenOffice, former Staroffice, was pretty buggy when it was still owned by the German company Stardivision. It has greatly evolved, mostly since it became open source. It is great software now. Just save the same text document in OO and in M$Office, and then compare the file size. You'll be amazed! M$ is bloat ware! Yes, I tried Office 2007, and after just a few days went back to OO. I'm not going to put up with this cr$#@! Neither will my hard drive ever see Vista.
    The first thing I do when I buy a new computer (which I did just a few months ago) is formatting the HD and installing the operating system(s) of my choice. M$ only when there is really, really no alternative solution in Linux.
    Just my 2 Cents ...

16. sparky5693

Administrator
    A friend of mine has been bugging me to try open office for some time. Maybe i'll finally take his advice.

17. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I have had MS Office Enterprise for 2-3 months now and I love it. The differently styled toolbars and menus are annoying but you can customize them. In time, you'll learn where everything is.

18. CatMan

CatMan Member

Good idea. I don't really understand why people spend a lot of money for one product, while they can get another, better one, for free.

19. sysiphus

sysiphus Member

For the sake of compatibility, make sure you change the default "save file" type as one that is compatible with M$ Office. Sending attachments to folks without Open Office is the only fly in the ointment, as it were. Open Office's default file types are not M$ compatible, but you can change the defaults one at a time, or globally.

Yes, the original "Star Office" was C*R*A*P* crap. Buggy StarOffice "desktop" and all.

Open Office blows it, and Micro's office (2003 and 2007, IMHO) out of the water. Did I mention it's free?

20. javyn

javyn New Member

How is Outlook '07? that would be the only reason to upgrade Office...