Newbie - Gillette adj. fatboy E3

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Craig12, May 13, 2013.

1. Craig12

Craig12 Member

Thanks everyone. When I stopped in the antique store I honestly had no idea what I was looking for outside of a DE razor. I read a little about the adjustable ones while I was looking on Amazon. I also found some good articles on what to look for when buying a vintage razor. The razors in this antique mall were all priced around the same ($30-$40) I just picked this one as it looked the best and was adjustable. With my limited Internet education, I knew more about them then the salesperson did.

Thanks for confirming that I've got the right tools to kick off this adventure. Now I just need to get my technique in order.

I sent my dad a pic of the razor and he said he used that one or one like it. He's sold on the cart. razors, so I'm not sure I'll be able to convert him. However with a 4 yr old son and another one on the way, I will hopefully be able to pass is down at some point.

I'll post an update of my first shave when/if my blades come in tomorrow.

Thanks again for the tips.

youngunn likes this.
  2. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Yeah my dad looks at me like I have a third eye or something when I'm all excited about my safety razors. He uses disposable razors *gag*

3. Craig12

Craig12 Member

Blades arrived today. I disinfected the razor, so with everything in order I was all set. I figure I would just work my way through the 25 pack.

First blade = crown super stainless

I got one minor nick, but that's it.

First pass using a 1. My strokes were too long at first and I really didn't feel like I was cutting any hairs.

Second Pass using a 3. Got better at my strokes. Still unsure how to shave around a raised mole on my chin. Felt a minimal about of stubble

Third Pass using a 5. I was a little scared going this high on my 1st shave. Pretty good. Not BBS, but not too bad.

If the blades are not eating me up, how long should I try each blade before I switch to a new one?

I plan on keeping a spreadsheet to narrow down which ones I like the best.

4. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Most people get 3 to 4 shaves from a blade and of course YMMV.

5. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I say try the blade until it starts tugging/pulling the hairs instead of cutting them.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

7. Craig12

Craig12 Member

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I got the thumbs up from the wife on the way it looked and felt. Definitely less irritation.

8. Med. Cheese

Med. Cheese Well-Known Member

My first blade was a Wilkinson Sword from Wal-Mart. My shaves were better, but I felt like I was pulling out the hairs, rather than cutting them. And the razor bumps on my neck confirmed it. (YMMV) So after lurking forums, I decided to order some blades online. I was lucky and found the right blade early, but I want to try others. So I am still searching. The point here is: don't stop until you have either tried them all or found one that makes shaving a joy. Even if it costs you $100, it's worth it.

9. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Many find that different blades work better on different settings. The FatBoy is perfect for experimenting like that. I tried varying the setting between passes as you are doing, but eventually found I did better keeping it at one setting for the entire shave. I also started at 1 and 2, then quickly went to the 3-5 range, and soon after to the 6-7 range as technique improved, as progressively higher settings improved reduction. I am now in the 7-9 range depending on the blade. Enjoy the journey!

Raven312 likes this.
  10. Craig12

Craig12 Member

Second shave today.

I did I need some practice with the lather for the VDH soap. Kind of thin.

1st pass - stuck with a 5 WTG.
    2nd pass - stuck with a 5 ATG

Overall, not too bad. Smoother than my first shave, but I do feel some mild irritation on my neck although I don't see any irritation.

I am enjoying the process. I find I e more of an art vs just getting my shave done. If I can save money in the process that works too, but something tells my I'll be spending more trying out different creams and collecting other razors.

11. Craig12

Craig12 Member

Third shave with a DE. Still on the same blade as my first.

Last night I spent a good deal of time looking at lather how to videos. My first two shaves I actually made the lather in the soap mug. Too much water made it more foamy/bubbly.

I soaked the brush in hot water and put some water in the soap mug to soften the soap while I took a shower. Washed my face in the shower. And applied more hot water to my face from the sink before lathering up.

I soaped up the brush for a good 30 seconds or so. Not having a good lather bowl, I created the lather directly on my face. Dipped the brush tips in the water once or twice. Seemed to work great for all passes.

Shave results.
    1st pass = 5 adj. WTG. I keep nicking myself in one area on my neck -- a small raised beauty mark/skin tag. I always did it with my Mach 3 and electric, so I'm not worried. Not so close and no feeling of irritation.

2nd pass = 5 adj WTG. Closer shave mostly but still rough spots on my chin/jaw line.

3 rd pass= 7 adj. ATG. Not my whole face, just the rough spots.

Applied Nivea for men post shave balm. So far it works well. No irritation, but doesn't give me the cool feeling. With the exception of the experience if multiple steam towels, initial applications of shave oil and after shave used by my barber during a straight edge shave, my face feels just as good.

After three shaves my neck irritation I was having with my cartridge razor (mach3 and proglide). is basically gone. I'm hooked and now fear I need a new medicine cabinet in my closet just to hold all the gear I will be collecting. My wife wouldn't want our bathroom to look like a barber shop.

Raven312 and ins0ma like this.
  12. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Greetings and a warm welcome to TSD.

13. Craig12

Craig12 Member

4th shave

Changed out blade for an Astra superior platinum. Kept setting at a 5 as this worked for the other one. Do different blades need different adjustments?

I did 2 passes (WTG/ATG) and some touch up. I also tried adding a couple of drops of somerset shave oil on a whim to my lather for a cooler touch.

Not sure if it was the later or blade, but I didn't get a great shave. More irritation on my neck. Had to do several passes to eat everything. I guess I got too ambitious and changed too many things at once.

Tomorrow I'll try the same routine without the oil and we'll see what happens

14. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you nailed it. What I would suggest is that you add the shave oil to your face pre shave, as opposed to your lather. That might give your skin the shield it needs.

15. I get the irritation when I try too hard to get a BBS shave..
    Too many passes, too much pressure or weakening technique.
    Some days the perfect shave doesn't come and I have to let it go and try again tomorrow as when I overdo it I can't shave again for a day or two :(
    OMG.... I actually look forward to shaving now.

16. swarden43

As far as different blades needing different settings, let your face tell you. Part of the fun of all of this is the hunt for the "PERFECT" shave. :bang:

And +1 to what Raven312 said about the pre-shave oil -- put it on prior to your first pass lather.

ohpaos likes this.
  17. Craig12

Craig12 Member

Thanks for the tips. I gave my face a break this morning from shaving to let it heal up a bit. I'm going to try just the new blade tomorrow with my standard lather. If it irritates again, I'll move on to the next blade in my sample pack.

18. swarden43

And hold on to the blades that don't work for you now.
    Many folks have shelved "bad" blades only to come back to them 6-8 months later, after their technique had improved, and found out it wasn't such a bad blade after all.

19. Craig12

Craig12 Member

Shaved this morning...used "standard routine" with 2 passes and lathering on face. No oil. Seemed to work well.

20. swarden43

Nice! Hang in there. It may take several weeks to get things figured out.
    And don't forget - plenty of folks 'round here to help out in any way we can! All you gotta do is ask.