Schick Dial M26 Adjustable Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, May 19, 2013.

1. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Just scored this on the bay. Injector has 1 unused blade in it. Near mint with instructions and case.
    I put it at 1966 to 1968. I'm a sucker for adjustables in good condition. Any additional info would be appreciated. SchickDial.JPG

Recklesstr likes this.
  2. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

They are great shavers, Nice Pull!

GlennConti likes this.
  3. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Sweeeeet! I haven't used any of the adjustable injectors. Be sure to check out the SE & Injector Party Thread to compare notes & shoot the Schick :D

You've probably already seen the skinny from www.safetyrazors.net? Using Alan G. Appleby's classification scheme, it's an "Type M1" injector...

Patent 3203093
    M1: "Schick Dial" Injector Razor
    Handle insert with name. No dot on knob.
    Packaging: Black plastic clamshell case
    with clear lid (1965-66). White plastic
    clamshell, clear lid, red liner (1966-68).

GlennConti likes this.
  4. GlennConti

Mine says "PAT PEND" on the razor. I wonder if all the 1966 through 1968 said that. That is if they started production in 1965 how long would they produce a razor labeled PAT PEND?

5. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Here's the scoop on U.S. Patent 3203093.

Patent Title: Aug. 31, 1965 L. K. KUHNL 3t2O3tO93 SAFETY RAZOR WITH ADJUSTABLE GUARD
    Filed March 14, 1963 (OCR)
    Patent Number: 3203093
    Filing Date: Jan 01, 0001
    Application Number: Issue Date: Aug 31, 1965

Obviously there would be some lag time on the manufacturing end & existing supplies of Pat Pending heads would've continued to be used until exhausted. Based on the above info & Appleby's research, my inexpert guess would be that the head was made in early 1965 & the razor was issued in 1966 (from packaging).

http://www.archpatent.com/patents/3203093

178-bplatoon and GlennConti like this.
  6. GlennConti

7. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Here is what the first one looked like.
    [​IMG]

178-bplatoon, GlennConti and ohpaos like this.
  8. GlennConti

That is cool looking. From the patent drawing it looks like it is continuously variable through the range. If that is the case, the setting 1 - 10 or 1 - 8 don't really make a difference as long as the amount of guard displacement is the same. Interesting in any case.

9. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Very nice razor. I used an M3 this morning, love the Schick adjustables.

GlennConti likes this.
  10. GlennConti

Hi Tom, I've just been looking and can only find blades from Schick, Generics from eBarbershop.com and Personna Injectables. I would like to try a few different blade manufactures. Any suggestions?

11. HoosierTrooper

Schick and ASR/Personna are the only two companies that make injector blades.

12. GlennConti

So what's the deal? Do you just go with the cheapest you can find?

13. HoosierTrooper

I like the Schicks better than the Personna blades, and can find them locally at a couple different grocery and drug stores. ASR/Personna stopped supplying injector blades to retail stores around three years or so ago. They can be purchased online at medical supply sites like Ted Pella and emsdiasum, also connaughtshaving.com carry them as do a couple other sites that sell blades. The Schicks can also be found on Amazon.

The ASR/Personna blades are OK, but they come in cheap, crappy dispensers that aren't nearly as good as the metal Schick dispenser.

There are some very good vintage Schick and Personna blades available on the bay and sometimes here in the marketplace but they are generally pretty expensive. I'm currently using some vintage 90's Schick Super Chromium blades that are fantastic.

GlennConti likes this.
  14. GlennConti

Well it looks like the Schick M2 adjustable also says "PAT PEND" so it looks like all the M1's in the red and white case were probably identical. So there is no way to differentiate 66, 67 or 68. Here are some shots of an M2 adjustable. The interesting thing is it says M23 on this M2 adjustable. While my earlier version M1 says M26 on it???
    SchickAdjustableM2.JPG SchickAdjustableM2-2.JPG

15. GlennConti

Here is a shot of my M1 Schick Dial with white case and red insert, SchickAdjustableM1-M26.JPG

16. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

The stamped codes on Schick injectors are manufacturing codes that refer to factory and/or machinery. They are not meaningful to the end user & are sometimes mistaken for date codes a la Gillettes.

GlennConti likes this.
  17. GlennConti

Here is another (not mine) M1 but it says M45 on it. Now I am really confused. SchickM1-M45-2.JPG SchickM1-M45.JPG

178-bplatoon likes this.
  18. GlennConti

Apparently the instruction sheet may have a printing date on it. And there may be a code on the injector cartridge that can be used to figure out the date. :)

I am due to receive it tomorrow so I will investigate further then.

19. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

The alphabet-typing nomenclature (M1, M2, and M3 designations) was developed by Schick injector enthusiast Alan G Appleby as a way to organize & date the time period for Schick injectors. The system is < 15 yrs old & was never used by Schick.

Schick injectors do not have date codes like Gillettes. All the stamps on razors are manufacturing plant & machine IDs. It is coincidence that the Schick Dial's stamp & Appleby code both start with M. My L-type has "M13" stamped on it, while my K2-type injector has "P23" on it. (Boxes & cartridges made after 1950ish will have date info built into the manufacturing code)

For more on the Appleby nomenclature, see www.safetyrazors.net. :)

Hodge, 178-bplatoon and GlennConti like this.
  20. GlennConti

The mystery may be solved!!!!!!!! The case has a number on it 66-127. That maybe 1966? SchickCase.JPG