What scents do you like?

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Queen of Blades, Mar 18, 2011.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You gotta try Joanna's Cedarwood.

HolyRollah likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sounds intriguing! Does that mean it doesn't smell like sandalwood, or simply a slightly more mild 'outdoorsy' scent?
    Cedarwood- a dry-woody aroma, slightly camphoraceous, smoky, balsamic. Very subtle with a hint of spice
    Sandalwood- Sweet, rich, woody, exotic and lingering. Oriental, luxurious, and balsamic with deep & soft aroma.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    No, Cedarwood doesn't smell like Sandalwood.

Cedarwood smells like cedar (cedar chest, cedar closets, etc.), and is an essential oil.

HolyRollah likes this.
  4. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I enjoy the scents of: fresh cut pine, fresh cut grass, bay rum, sandalwood, Locust tree blossoms, Magnolia blossoms and my wife when she kisses me when I get home from a long day at work.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks for the clarification, JoAnna! Having some cedar-lined closets and a cedar-topped guitar, I know of the aroma you speak! ;)

Queen of Blades likes this.
  6. swarden43

Ain't it great?

HolyRollah likes this.
  7. terben

terben New Member

Not Oak, Oak is putried when logged and wet. Walnut, Black Walnut wood, so dense it's smell permeates through finishes and loiters in your memory long after its gone.

8. terben

terben New Member

Sparklers, very good smell, but no gunpowder; only iron filings. One of the good childhood smells.

9. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

This summer I got to thinking that a basil scented shave cream might be nice when I was harvesting my basil plant. Can't say I've ever smelled one or seen one.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    That is what is so great about artisans. Simply ask your favorite artisan if they can make you some basil shave cream.

Jasman likes this.
  11. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Or tarragon. . . . :signs002:

12. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

Musgo Real makes a Basil Lime shaving cream. $15 for a 3.4 tube. I've heard good reports about it, but haven't used it myself.

13. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Lavender, Orange, Lime, Grapefruit, Lavender, Bergamot, Spearmint...Oh and did I mention Lavender?

14. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

-Opening the cabinets in the bathroom I shave in where all the colognes, aftershaves, soaps, and creams are stored. Sometimes I walk in there just to enjoy the scents.
    -The cedar closet in my parents house where I grew up that all the wool coats hung in.
    -Walking into a fine tobacco shop that has pipe tobaccos and a cigar humidor.
    -Nitro methane that wafts through the air at an NHRA national drag racing event.
    -A retail store that sells soaps and/or candles.
    -When we had dogs I liked to hug them and smell them when they came home from the BowWow Boutique freshly shampooed.
    -Fresh coffee beans.
    -Freshly popped popcorn with melted butter.
    -The kitchen after baking chocolate chip cookies or an apple pie and they're still on the cooling racks.
    -The interior of a vintage automobile.
    -The calm before the storm. The smell that's there when you step out on to your porch and there's that eerie stillness and strange color that signals an imminent storm.
    -Striking a match.
    -Walking through an orchard.
    geez, this could go on awhile...

15. swarden43

Old books that have been in the attic for a while.

16. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I used the Basil Lime shaving cream and the cologne this morning that was included in a Musgo Real sampler I purchased recently. I don't mind citrus scents but they're not necessarily my first choice. However, I must say that Musgo's Basil Lime is one I plan to use again and certainly worth trying if you like the scent of basil. This is the third Musgo shave cream I've sampled and all three have made a very nice lather and the scents are all quite pleasant without being overpowering.

17. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

Cedar, freshly baked bread (actually almost anything fresh out of the oven), clean laundry, leather, fresh cut grass, burning charcoal, bell peppers

18. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Bourbon in 100 Year Old English Oak Vat, Cedar Saunas, Beer, Roast Dinners, antique leather, Fresh baked bread, Women (Some) ;) (AH.... Make that ONE !!!!)
    I really don't like Fruit smells, "sugary sweet" smells, Flowers, incense, perfume, wet animals or Tax Time (It Stinks !!!!)

19. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Stupid question time. Does Bay Rum aftershave, smell like rum (Like drinking rum) ? I have never smelled it (that I know of).
    Is there a Bourbon aftershave ????? Bourbon and Coke aftershave is probably a bit too much to hope for I suppose????? You know, a splash and a swig ;) You're good to go

Sontag likes this.
  20. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

I don't know about bourbon and coke aftershave, but I just got a bottle of bourbon vanilla witch hazel from The Shave Den Shop, and it is awesome. Good smellin' stuff!

If you want a perfect aftershave for yourself, send Queen if Blades a PM and tell her what smells you like; JoAnna is a master artisan and knows a lot about her trade.

Peter Cupitt likes this.