Rooney Bengal Transformation

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by JRod22, Jun 21, 2013.

1. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Hi all. I recently purchased the Bengal/orange and black swirl Rooney brush from Classicshaving.com. I wasn't thrilled with the characteristics of the original knot and I just thought that the handle deserved a 2 band knot. So I sent the handle to GDCarrington to work on.

[​IMG]

Talk about a transformation. Gary was amazing to deal with, his knowledge and professionalism were astounding. I highly suggest working with him if you need some brush work done. Any way, I'm so pumped for this new brush, can't wait to get it into the rotation. I'll add some post bloom pictures once I've given it a couple uses.

Mouser likes this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Nice brush JRod. I don't have any Rooneys so what was it you didn't like about the original knot? The new one definitely fits it.

JRod22 likes this.
  3. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I have Rooneys in Pure, Best, and Silvertip and am about to pull the trigger on a Heritage Stubby, either large or 2XL in Two Band. I love them. I've tried a couple Simpsons of my cousins but they just don't grab me like Rooney do.

JRod22 likes this.
  4. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I liked the fan shape and the tips were amazingly soft, it was just missing a bit of backbone. I'm pretty particular and just wanted it to be perfect. I think I succeeded thanks to GDC.

GDCarrington and Mouser like this.
  5. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

"you say this cat GDC is a bad mother.."?."....shut your mouth....."....."well I'm talkin' bout GDC"...."well we can dig it"

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

This version makes me want to see the Samuel Jackson remake.

Mouser and GDCarrington like this.
  7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

That is one perty brush.

Mouser and GDCarrington like this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Thanks for all the kind words on the restoration.

When Josh wrote to me about the handle, he discussed that he was not totally pleased with the softness (floppiness) of the brush and saw what I had done in the various Two Band restorations. So the brush came my way and the transformation was completed. The most important thing is that Josh got the brush that he wanted.

Enjoy it and I am looking forward to bloom pictures!

Mouser likes this.
  9. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

The 2 band Gary put in for me feels great. Here it is after 4 lathers. Still wet from my shave. It's looking very good.

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN, GDCarrington and Mouser like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, that is one good looking brush.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, that has bloomed out nice.

I envisioned this as something on a sports card so here is the image in that context.

[​IMG]

Glad you are enjoying it. Thanks for letting me "transform" it.

JRod22 likes this.
  12. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Very Nice!

JRod22 and GDCarrington like this.