Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Summertime is probably my favorite time for outdoor cooking!

Although Fall tailgating at football games is right up there too, but there's nothing quite like firing up the charcoal BBQ, gas grill or wood smoker (with a chilled beverage of choice in hand) and being at 'one' with nature. ;)

This year, I'm really excited as I just put the finishing touches last month on an outdoor 'worktable/cooktable/service counter' which will allow family & friends to gather 'round the cook & have plenty of seating! (now I need to get about 8 barstools!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any BBQers, grillers or smokers out there?
    I'm more of a smoker/bbq guy, but I'm not opposed to firing up the propane grill for marinated chicken, thick steaks, burger, chops, (heck, even grilled veges) for the sake of time and convenience.

My favorites? Beef brisket, St.Louis-style ribs, pulled pork, smoked sausages, grilled corn on the cob, grilled scampi....how about you?

Beef brisket: 16 hours at low temp (low 'n slow) with hickory/mesquite smoke...
    [​IMG]

Droo78, Redrock, MntnMan62 and 38 others like this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

That looks good. Nice job on the outdoor kitchen. It's a little hot here for hanging out on the patio in the summer. I think a smoker sitting in the sun would get hot enough to cook brisket without even lighting a fire in it. Hey, that's an idea...

Moose, jeraldgordon, wmbjr and 3 others like this.
  3. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

That is awesome, someday I will do something similar I think.

HolyRollah likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Brian, that's where the large, moveable patio umbrellas come in handy!
    And you're right about smokers in the hot sun. 80°F temp outside can create 120°F temps in the smoker— not hot enough for 'BBQ' and too hot for 'cold smoking.'

PatrickA51 and feeltheburn like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool set up!
    I have a Weber One Touch Gold 26.75". Amazing what an extra 2.25" will add to a grilling surface.
    Also have a CharBroil Offset Smoker.

Charcoal is the only way to go. Gas is just cooking outside :scared001:(just messin', at least it is outside :D)

I always add some type of wood chips or chunks to add flavor, hickory being a favorite. Been experimenting with pecan and cherry here of late.

Since it's just my wife and I at home these days, I don't fire up as often as I used to. Always enjoy it when I do, though :eatdrink020:

PatrickA51, BamaT and HolyRollah like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have always been a fan of the Weber charcoal kettles/grills. Had many over the years, but never as large as that OT Gold. Extra surface space is a nice luxury!
    Indeed! Gas is convenient; charcoal is flavor. My only charcoal-cooker right now is my old Weber Smokey mountain (WSM) (22"dia.—which I use mainly for long smokes. It does a great job.)
    [​IMG]

Hickory is the 'go-to' for so many smokes; but both pecan & cherry are great lighter woods (and apple!) that marry well with pork and chicken. Pecan =must for New Orleans-style smoked andouille sausage! (done on the WSM)...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Redrock, Moose, TheFiveO and 9 others like this.
  7. swarden43

Back in '86 I was given a Happy Cooker kettle grill for our anniversary. And I kid you not, it lasted 26 summers. The only thing I had replaced on it was the coal grate. I went on line to try and track down the Happy Cooker company and let them know about my grill, how long it lasted, and how great it was. Sadly they went out of business in the '90s. Guess that's what happens when you make a product that lasts so long ;) no one needs to buy any more!

8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

This is one reason I could never be a vegetarian. I even grill in the middle of winter quite often. I could grill everyday of my life and not get sick of it.

I like smoked jalapeño cheddar sausage, mesquite smoked brisket, burgers, deer steaks, deer chops, grilled corn on the cob, brats... I can keep going.

canoeroller, Boojum1 and BamaT like this.
  9. swarden43

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nor does smoking! :)
    Here's 10 pounds of beef jerky I managed to get hung inside the smoker despite a driving January downpour & 38°F temp outside. Easy to keep the temps around 100-120°F for a long 8-hour , cool smoke. Can't let a little foul weather deter the necessities in life!
    [​IMG]

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Im a big fan of cooking over fire. I wish I when I bought my Weber gas grill, I would have went for the 3 burner Silver B rather than the 2 burner silver A. It was out of my price range at the time, but the grill has lasted since 1997. Besides the convenient gas grill, I have a Weber Kettle, a Smokey Joe for travel and an Imperial Kamado. The Kamado was a wedding gift to my parents way back in 1961. I do need to refurbish it, but it is my favorite. I can smoke year round and maintain a consistent temperature which is hard to do during the winter with snow on the ground and howling winds. It only takes about 30 briquettes and will last a good 6+ hours. Here are a couple pork shoulders beginning the process last summer.

[​IMG]

Here is my one and only brisket. I am more of a pork fan.

[​IMG]

And some more pork on a cheap offset smoker that finally rusted through on me last year.

[​IMG]

Redrock, PatrickA51, Rufus T. and 5 others like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Weekend starts early! (yeah, I know it's Friday)...;)

Some pork ribs, split turkey breast and some garlic sausage...Each requiring different times. All got applewood smoke. Kept me busy.
    Wife made some coleslaw & beans, so the boys & I are in for a treat!
    There MAY even be leftovers for tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

13. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Ahhh a subject near and dear to my heart. I admit when it comes to de shaving im a novice but when it comes to bbqim an expert...i should recieve an honorary doctrate from somewhere ha! Id prefer to cook for about 8 people but im often asked to cook for large gatherings and i can hold my own with crowfs up to 150. A few 4th of julys ago was one of the hottest on record and i was manning a very large wood bbq...also a big fan of something called the 'disco' its basically a tractor disk wielded to a platform to cook outside with. Absolutely fantastic for fajitas, carnitas, tripas (cow intestine) or fried chicken...love tge deep pit also wich is becoming a lost art....hollyrollah i am def.jelous of your smoking abalities id like to learn that...and your set upis sweet

macaronus likes this.
  14. Moe

Moe Active Member

Loves me some BBQ. Wish I had more time for it, but when I do, I fire up my stick burner. BBQ1.jpg

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice rig, Moe!

Redrock likes this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Last weekend in Santa Barbara visiting my big sis, I was in charge of making the saturday night grub. On the menu was scalloped potatoes (sis made 'em from scratch—the only way to have 'em!), par-boiled & grilled asparagus, and grilled Copper Creek salmon; served with some fresh chopped dill & meyer lemon slices from her garden. Salmon is one of those easy-to-grill foods that anyone can cook on a grill. My sis had this monster propane grill she had never used before. We broke it in right! :)

[​IMG]

17. swarden43

Now you're just showin' off! :drool: :D

Redrock, PatrickA51 and sol92258 like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The 4th o' July is just around the corner. This, of course, means time to get the smoker ready.
    I have 4 decent sized slabs of babybacks that will get a good, spicy rub before hitting the smoker.
    More to come...

[​IMG]

Redrock, preidy, PatrickA51 and 3 others like this.
  19. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Hmmmm....*quick calculation in my head*.....nope, no way I can drive from the far side of Texas to California in time.... :D

Redrock likes this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ribs are in....two hours of hickory/apple wood smoke so far. I'll give 'em a few more before I begin basting & saucing them.
    These should make for a nice early-evening 4th of July patio dinner!
    [​IMG]

Redrock, brit, PatrickA51 and 2 others like this.