The one and only shave kit.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by tuxxdk, Jul 3, 2013.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I can't remember if we've had such thread so here goes. Direct me otherwise :)

What shave set would you choose, should you be forced to only that set. Detail why that item specifically.

Pick one razor, one soap/cream etc.

I'll lay out the first seed. These are products that for me stand out or somehow otherwise manage to catch my attention. Not meaning my other arsenal doesn't perform, just that this is what I'd choose, should I be forced.

Face wash: Matas regular face wash. Inexpensive face wash readily available all over Denmark. Non-perfumed, no parabenenes. Virtually scent-less.

Cream/soap: Palmolive Classic cream. It lathers so easily, costs so little and performes so great. Lovely scent, almost not there. Perfect.

Razor: Mühle R89. Relatively inexpensive razor of high quality. I really like the look and feel and the way it shaves with my selected blade.

Blade: Money aside I'd pick Wilkinson Sword. Otherwise Astra SP for 50% lower costs. Performes top notch on my face with every razor I've tried.

Brush: Bestshave #6. Looks okay, performes great and costs "nothing". Wonderful brush of nice size. It's just a tool I abuse everyday so hell freezes over before I spend a lot of money on a brush when a cheap one like this does the job 100%.

Bowl: With no doubt, Ikea bamboo bowl. Cheap, perfect size, low weight and easily available. Plus I love wood.. ehm... wood products!!!! Jesus, where's your mind?? ;-)

After shave: My precious Nivea for Men Sensitive. Works wonders after a shave, cheap, readily available and a lovely, almost non-existant scent.

Stand: No stand. Luxury item more than a need. Maybe something homecrafted in the event of need.

As you can see, I'm an advoctate for cheap and readily available products. Also I'm not much for scented products. On a daily basis I prefer no fragrances. On weekends going to a party I spray on a scent for that occasion, else not. Also, my list is based on where I live. Were I to live in another country it would probably be another list based on the local selection.

What would your list look like?

youngunn and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My shave kit:
    a pre-shave oil
    50+ soaps
    half a dozen creams
    30 some-odd DEs
    a dozen or so SEs
    7 str8s
    maybe a dozen and a half brushes (assorted boar and badger)
    2 brands of blades
    8 lathering bowls
    a strop
    a hone
    8 aftershaves(to include balms)
    and a couple of colognes

Yup - I refuse to name favorites!

3. tuxxdk

I knew that already ;-) But that's kinda the theme of the topic ;-)

Also I have plenty other favorites so it's not like these are better, only they are the chosen ones for the case.

Play with the thought.

4. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Face wash: Shea Moisture Utility Soap
    Razor: (This is hard because I'm learning to straight shave and haven't used them all yet.) If I had to pick RIGHT NOW, it'd be my Merkur Futur
    Blades: Wilkinson for me has been old faithful, but I think I'd choose Gillette Silver Blue blades
    Brush: Right now, my Waterford brush
    Bowl: My Robert Becker scuttle
    Aftershave: Shea Moisture A/S
    Straight: (Purely because I love the way it looks and feels in my hand) - Joseph Elliot Patent Frameback with horn scales

I'm sure this list would/will change in a month...

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  5. swarden43

Sorry. I was just messin'.

Fortunately the only time I'm forced to just one, it's when I head out on vacation. Even then I take two of everything. Tabac always seems to make the cut.

srpavko likes this.
  6. tuxxdk

Truth be told, I had another list last month and another one the month before. So I think you're right.

I like to simplify my life, and my list above is a heavily revised list I've had in my mind a long time. But it is surely a list that would bring me a lovely DFS+++ shave everyday with no issues.

7. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

Right now if I had to pick just one set up it would be:

Pre: The Art of Shaving Unscented Preshave Oil
    Razor: Parker SR1
    Blade: Croma Diamant (I prefer SuperMax Titanium in my DEs, but so far Croma is the best blade for my DBSRs)
    Brush: The Art of Shaving Fine Badger
    Soap: Vitos Extra Super

This list could easily change at any time, but these are my standards. This is the stuff that always works well for me and that I can count on, no matter what factors may come in to play.

tuxxdk likes this.
  8. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

LOL. I that was coming.

9. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I like Steve's approach.

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Pre-shave oil- my home-made stuff in lavender-mint scent
    Brush- badger hair travel brush
    Razor-Parker 29L
    Soap- the stuff I make (also lavender-mint) in a twist-up tube
    Blades- Feather

11. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

pre-shave : hot shower
    brush: Omega boar (hog all the way)
    razor : Muhle R41, in my opinion the most aggressive DE, next step up is a str8
    blade : Personna medical prep. I can get 8 consistent, comfortable shaves per blade, no BS
    After shave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. Burns like napalm, but smells great and lasts a good while

battle.munky likes this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Like Steve I have WAYYYY too much stuff...:happy097:. But here's my regularly used kit:

PreShave: Corn Huskers Lotion, works as well as Jack Black or Proraso for me but it's "MUCH" cheaper and available locally,

Soap: Since I prefer to bowl lather I've been using Arko in the tub lately and loving it, it's my first long time use of a non melt and pour soap, I'm finding it easy to lather,it offers good protection/glide and the price is right! The only thing that could make it better is if it were locally avilable..

Brush: A #6 Horse Hair from bestshave, after trying an example of each of the other brushes(Bagger,Boar and Synthetic),I chose the #6 as it makes nice lather and the price simply can't be beat, a friend did rehandle the knot in resin for me however, just an F.Y.I. I find the #6 Horse superior to the Vie-Longs Horses(12601 and 04312 metal/wooden handle) I've used,

Bowl: A stainless bowl I got off of ebay,about the same size as the VDH green ceramic bowl but happily unbreakable,

Blades:Since I can only have one the PolSilver Super Iridium wins hands down,the only thing that keeps me using others like the Astra SP and SS,Voskhod and BlueBird is the price and the fact that I bought them first and in bulk. Once the others run out the SI's and SP's will be all I use,

Stands: For my razors I use a 6 hole wooden test tube holder, for my brush I use a suction cupped U shaped razor holder( for use on a mirror), I opened up the inside of the U with a dremel to fit my #6 handle, both stands work "VERY" well, were inexpensive to purchase and allow for easy,secure air drying of razor and brush,

Razor: Weber 3 piece DLC coated shave head on a Weber SS BullDog handle, I've had this set up a few weeks now(Thank You jeraldgordon)..So far it's proven to be all I'd hoped, it's the only DE I reach for,

PostShave: Nivea sensitive postshave balm, works well and a "VERY" little goes a "VERY" long way,affordable,locally available,

AfterShave: I of course have too many,but if I "HAD" to choose one it would be Pinaud Clubman Original, I enjoy the "old timey barber shop" smell, it seems to last a bit,it's inexpensive and locally available....

Theres my choices at least as of now......:)

jeraldgordon likes this.
  13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Mine is basically my dad's. It's actually what I've been going to for almost the last year with very little exception.

Here goes for clarity:

Preshave: hot shower using shampoo lathered straight from my hair as facewash.

Brush: Semogue Owners Club boar :love055:

Razor: R41. I do use my slant, Schick 66 injector, and DE89 every great once in a while though. But R41 since there can be only one.

Blade: Voskhod

Soap/cream: Soap always; Tabac is my favorite

AS: who cares as long as it is alcohol based and mentholated

Bowl: none, I face lather almost exclusively and when I don't whatever bowl is in reach first

Stand: none

14. basil

basil Well-Known Member

My one and only shave kit would be as follows:
    Soap: DR Harris lavender soap
    Brush: My Simpsons brush
    Strop: Kangaroo leather strop with linen backing
    Razor: My 6/8 Le Grelot with ivory scales
    Aftershave: Maybe clubman or the dr harris aftershave to compliment my soap.
    I would need a stone also so i would say one of my coticules. Maybe my petite blance or my grosse blanche cant decide. lol

Raven312 likes this.
  15. tuxxdk

I know we all have lots of stuff, but it's nice to see what people can count if forced to only one kit. Keep'em coming!

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gillette Old Type BRW Improved handle
    Voskhod
    Semogue OC Boar
    Klar Kabinett
    Alum
    Superior 70

Since you asked, I could be happily exclusive with just about any product I have in my den. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't keep it around.

17. battle.munky

I've adopted the same attitude in the last year Dale. All except AS. I have a few I don't care for but don't have the heart to dump them so I use them still.

Great kit, the SOC is great isn't it. I rarely touch badger anymore. Under 40 bucks outperforms a brush nearly 8 times that much. It is my favorite :love055:

18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Good to see you Bob. The SOC is a great brush and gets lots of use. I only have one badger left and I should just PIF it with how littleuse it gets. If you catch one of Bruno's sales (Vintage Scent) , the SOC can be had for just about $25 shipped. As for the aftershave, I am pretty exclusive with Superior 70. It is inexpensive and agreeable. I had a full glass bottle of AV that I dumped out to keep the bottle. Granted it was only AV and not something good or expensive.

battle.munky likes this.
  19. battle.munky

[​IMG]

How dare you insult the nectar of manliness ;)

jeraldgordon, tuxxdk and PanChango like this.
  20. swarden43

:happy068: I was wondering how long it would take.

PanChango and battle.munky like this.