Stop right there, don't buy that! or Shave goods best avoided...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Dridecker, Feb 25, 2010.

1. John Webb

John Webb New Member

(smirk) Love it or hate it seems to be the case. There is lots of options to try before going there. Sorry to bait the bear, my bad. Anyone know of someone local to Portland, OR that sells it, I'd give it a try if it weren't buy before try.

2. LGBLST2013

LGBLST2013 New Member

Hey I am new here but my kit from CS works just fine. I used classic brand sandalwood from CS and I love it. I just had to work on my technique to get a good lather and un-learn some aweful cartridge shaving habits. Got a DFS today...after only four days since starting. :hooray:
    Jeff

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ok, I'll venture an opinion based upon my own personal experiences using these products.

Overall, the vast majority of shaving products I have put to use have done the job they were designed for adequately. Some products excelled in areas where other similar products did not perform so well.

My Van Der Hagen brush was on the cheaper side (picked it up at CVS on sale with coupon for $2.), and so my expectations weren't high concerning either the quality nor the performance. However, after using it for about a dozen shaves, it is my opinion that this brush be avoided and the money designated for it ($8 or $9), be put towards a better-quality brush (such as a $15 Omega and the like). Notes: Too firm/stiff, poor water absorption resulting in poor lather formation. My first few latherings with this very stiff brush felt as though I used an old hand broom to apply the lather. ;)
    [​IMG]

Williams Mug Shaving soap, another inexpensive CVS purchase, left my face feeling distinctly itchy and uncomfortably dry, post shave. The lather was rather flaccid as well, similar to what one gets if you were to use a bar of ivory hand soap for lather (which I have in the past). Perhaps my skin is on the sensitive side, or I simply prefer a more fatty, slick lather, but I would hesitate to recommend the WMS soap for everyday use.

HR

4. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

+1 for Herban Cowboy. I went to a Whole Foods (thinking maybe they would have a couple good natural soaps) and asked the lady what they had. She handed me Herban Cowboy. As I looked through the ingredients, I noticed that the MOST important ingredient for shave soap was missing- Glycerin. So I asked her if they had anything with glycerin in it. She said that WF would not stock anything that contains glycerin. I used my better judgment and walked out the door. So much for the "natural" craze (which is funny, because glycerin IS natural).

5. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

There are quite a few good shave soaps and creams without glycerin, but in most cases I prefer it if a soap contains extra glycerin or is extremely good for the skin if it is without glycerin.

BigT likes this.
  6. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

+1....love extra glycerin!

7. Sea Doggy

Sea Doggy New Member

ShavingFactory - TTO DE. Would do better with a plastic spork from KFC.my wife saw it at Sally Beauty Supply and thought I would love it.

8. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

This thread is a great idea and valuable to newbies like me. I am impressed by the few products that get universal bad reviews.
    Does that mean its hard for me to really make a mistake? Does that mean most products are similar?

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The value of a thread such as this lies in any consensus that can be derived. As quite often is the case, YMMV ("your mileage may vary") applies to any of these products, particularly personal items such a razor blades. However, if several members have had the same issues with a product, odds are this issue may continue to present itself if you were to acquire the same product.
    Many of these items involve a small investment (such as the VDH brush I described above), so it doesnt cost much to do a little investigation of your own.

Tdmsu and BigT like this.
  10. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Your use of the VDH Brush, mentioned above, was an excellent example of YMMV. I have 4 VDH brushes in my rotation and love em.

BamaT, Tdmsu and HolyRollah like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Actually my harsh stance on the VDH brush has, just like the brush after repeated uses, softened. It will never be as plush as a good badger, nor as flexible as better boar—but I do appreciate it's overly-firm backbone for getting a good, scrubby face lathering. It remains in the rotation.;)

BigT likes this.
  12. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Not sure what she was thinking, Whole Foods sells a store brand glycerin soap.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Perhaps she was thinking gelatin when you mentioned glycerin. Some of the WF folks get riled up if you talk gelatin, particularly the animal-sourced variety.

14. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Funny how different two brushes from the same maker can be, but I also have a cheapie VDH brush and I would describe it as too soft and takes forever to dry completely even when wrung and shook out. It makes me imagine that it's actually made up of cat hair... My Burma Shave brush that's like 10 or 12 years old is considerably better.

15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

berts bees is brushless
    not my cup of tea feels like honey on my face. clogged up my razor too
    I didn't like it

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

On product I never a good or even usualbe review is for Flying Eagle carbon DE blades. If anyone likes these I am curious to hear.

I tried them and.... well... The worst blade I ever tried.

17. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Thanks for that! I have been wondering about them, myself.

18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I did a PIF to 10 people and these blades were hated by all. I though maybe one person would like them but no.

If you are really curious I can check and see if I have any left.

19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I've read a couple of posts where people liked the 7:00 a.m. Blade, but I can't even get through one pass with a brand new blade, and that has consistently been the case for me.

20. Dr. Tim Wilkins

Dr. Tim Wilkins Active Member

My first DE razor was a Shaving Factory from a beauty supply store. RUN from it! It is harsh and great for blood sacrifices but not for shaving.Glad I didn't quit single blade shaving after that experience. Just had to learn about the razors. Also, bought my wife a pink Weishi and it fell apart in 2 uses. Cheap aluminum TTO.