Gillette Rocket, the refined DE.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Thanks to this excellent post, Ive just learned that my latest acquisition is an English TV Flair Tip Rocket, the rhodium plated one!
    Yippee time :)

2. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Regarding that bucket of razors... Wow... that's all I can say.

3. Tjebbe

Tjebbe Well-Known Member

Wow, this razor really rocks!
    Two days in a row now, getting a BBS!
    The selfmixed preshave helps, I combine the Rocket with a Centwin Super Platinum blade and it's magnificient combo.
    I like the weight of this razor, just like the Ikon OSS it's hefty and I seem to like that.

Back to rubbing my face!

PLANofMAN and alpla444 like this.
  4. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

I'm working through sampler pack of blades, two of each before changing. First blade goes into a Black Beauty, second into a Rocket HD. The BB was my go-to razor, the one I judged others by. Not any more! The HD Rocket is just excellent. I've now got the LD and the HD with the aluminium handle as well. Also got an Aristocrat coming. Thinking I've got a bit of an addiction going on ;-)

178-bplatoon and alpla444 like this.
  5. 58 Fatboy

58 Fatboy New Member

Just got my 3rd Red Tip and was wondering if anyone knew what the + and + on the underside of the head means? It was made in the USA, so its not English I assume!? Actually the markings are in the location where the I, II, & III are on the English versions. Also, the case has a clear lid that says "HEAVY" and the maroon colored bakelite bottom.

Thanks for your help?
    TM

6. Makubex

Makubex New Member

I'm sorry, but I have question. This is what Cris referred as "teeth" ?
    Flair1.jpg
    TV special USA, English Super Speed,FlareTip Rocket
    They are not stamped into the post, but lugs like teeth underneath the center bar.
    Flair2.jpg
    It seems that every pre-1959 TTOs made in USA and English Super Speeds have that lugs. Rockets don't have.
    So I think the teeth means the razors were assembled with center bar parts manufactured by American Gillette factories.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  7. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

So this thread got me to lookin at my flare tips! Like Fatboy, I have a few red tips (US variants) with no markings then bam! One has III on the of the underside of the guard on either side of the handle!? Anyone ever come up with an answer to what these markings are for? I would have assumed they were the aggressiveness, but the other red tips do not have them?

8. Jayhart82

Jayhart82 New Member

This was my grandpas razor that was given to me after he passed away. I was trying to figure out which razor it was.it has the Brit pat 430030 stamped on it,which close to the aristocrat jr pat # you posted, I'm told it is in it's original case as well. Can anyone help? image.jpg

brit likes this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den.
    Be sure to sign up for our October Newbie Give-Away.

Very cool it was your grandfather's.
    Sorry, I can't help with any further info. I'm sure someone will be along who will be able to help.

10. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I have read that a lot of the Aristocrat Jr came in the Rocket case for sale in the Canadian market. That is an Aristocrat Jr. without a doubt and the case should have Made in Canada on the bottom.

brit likes this.
  11. Jayhart82

Jayhart82 New Member

Thank you! Yes the case says made in canada, Montreal to be exact.

brit and Weeper Warrior like this.
  12. Syvfjell

Syvfjell New Member

I stumbled upon this board while trying to ID a razor I found in a pile of junk at my Grandparents place in Southern France. Thanks to this thread I found out it was a Rocket 59, not sure who owned it but in any case this razor is history as all of the males in age of having a razor there in the period 1940-1965 travelled, worked and waged war deep in the jungles of Africa and Asia.

It's 70 grams (give or take 5 grams), has no serial, is made in England; knob extends when silo doors close.

Are the brass, copper and nickel models supposed to all have the same color? Because mine looks damn aluminium, but some green stains around the "patent pending" thing might indicate copper.

http://imgur.com/a/92eAi

Tdmsu likes this.
  13. Weeper Warrior

If it is 70 grams it is brass plated in nickle. It needs a good cleaning and a little polishing would not hurt either.

14. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Shave Den Syvfjell! That's a nice HD Rocket you have there and it is an exellent shaver, I have one myself. According to Mr Razor the aluminum handle version was 57g and the plated brass was 70g.

15. Syvfjell

Syvfjell New Member

Thanks guys. I gave it a swim in a aluminium foil / boiling water + sodium bicarbonate solution, cleaned it well but the plating is obviously stained and looks old. Gotta put my hands on some good products. BTW cracks me up that all of you guys use this scrubbing bubble thing - I have no idea of what that is, I am across the pond.

Tomorrow I'll buy blades :)

Oh, and this thread made me fall in love with the #16....

16. Weeper Warrior

It is close to what you call Cif or Jif bathroom cleaner.

#16 you say???:signs136:

IMG_20131026_124815_009 (Copy).jpg

brit likes this.
  17. Syvfjell

Syvfjell New Member

Can't manage to get the stains off and make it shine :(

I tried bicarbonate; toothpaste, cif, watered-down vinegar, javel (Oxychlorure de sodium), car polish... I can't get how you guys manage to turn razors looking worse than mine into muscle-cars-like chrome jewels...

With polish and cif i got some black tint on the q tips so obviously i helped a bit, but just a little. Take a look at my previous post on the inside of the silo doors, those stains don't go away at all.

18. Weeper Warrior

Some stains won't go away. Some razor take a lot of time cleaning. A micro fiber polish cloth helps quite a bit in the process.

What kind of polish are you using?

19. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Not sure what kind of car polish you used but if it's for paint, it may not be what you need. If you can find a metal polish that's good for nickel plating, that's what you want. I use Blue Magic but not sure if you have that there. Be careful using vinegar. It will dissolve nickel plating if you leave it on there.
    [​IMG]

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  20. Syvfjell

Syvfjell New Member

Yeah I used a paint polish but it's supposed to take care of scratches too... i'll try to get hold of a product that we have here, called mirror.

I understand som stains are here to stay but the all shine look is what i'd like to have !

You guys don't have Javel in the USA ? Wikipedia only has a French entry, weird, I live in Norway they don't have it either - there they have Red Spirit that we don't have in France ! Speaking about chemicals here, not brands. Thanks again fo the tips. I bought gear today and I'll wait some days before trying no to slice myself open.

[​IMG]