Shaving with lotion?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Justin Linker, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

I've heard of a couple of folks who actually shave with a regular body lotion. As ridiculous as that sounds, I'm actually quite intrigued by this concept, for some reason.

Has anyone here ever at some point in their life shaved with a regular lotion? What was the results? Also, would shaving with lotion provide an acceptable cushion for the razor?

[​IMG]

Hembree likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Never have, never will. But like I always say - it,'s your shave, enjoy it your way. Besides, with so many shave soaps and creams out there, just doesn't make sense to me to try anything else.

beemers, Hembree and Ryan B like this.
  3. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

It works in a pinch, just as conditioner works in a pinch. I'm sure that if you found the right lotion that it would be similar to some of the brushless creams, but why bother? There are a ton of good brushless creams (Creamo, Every Man Jack, Billy Jealousy) if that's what you're after. It's sort of like using whipped cream or peanut butter as a shaving cream, sure you can do it, but just because you CAN do something does not mean that you SHOULD.

Hembree and vwp528 like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And you could shampoo with toothpaste.

Just sayin'

Hembree, BigT and Justin Linker like this.
  5. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Doing it tonight!!!!

Hembree likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One concern about using cocoa butter or coconut oil products is the high comedogenic rating (acne-inducing, '4' on a scale of 0-5, 5 being the highest). I would prefer to use another oil-based lubricant (such as Mineral oil, '0' on the scale) if unable to use soap or cream. Since I have enough soaps & lotions to last a lifetime already, using another product is unlikely.

Hembree and Hanzo like this.
  7. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I have tried shaving with Suave hair conditioner and regular baby oil. Stupid decision and won't go there again. Talk about razor burn.....dammit!

Hembree and Kawika503 like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Forum folk have always talked about peanut butter as a shaving cream and because of the peanut oil I can see maybe it works. From what HolyRollah is saying it might be less troublesome to your skin to play with.

Of brushless creams I think Nancy Boy is the best, a very decadently rich cream that consistency wise is the opposite of lotion.

Hembree and HolyRollah like this.
  9. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I shaved with lotion for years until buying my first DE razor in January of this year. I have dry skin so lotion worked very well. I prefer Suave Vitamin E/Aloe which works very well for my skin but I'd give the same kind of advice people give about which blade or soap to use. I also shaved in the shower with hair conditioner for years as well but I wouldn't recommend using shampoo. I've got a fair amount of experience having shaved my head every summer from Memorial Day till Labor Day for 10 years in a row. I would shave my head/face in the shower using conditioner and then if there was any touch up I'd use lotion and hot water at the sink afterwards. Of course that was until I crossed over and began enjoying shaving rather than dreading it and growing a beard every winter to avoid it. My big dilemma now is trying to decide if I should grow my beard this coming winter or buy more shaving products. I have a sneaky hunch that everything Santa brings me this year will have something to do with shaving.
    ps. I have never used lotion with my DE razor (seems sacrilegious), only with a Mach3/Fusion/etc.

10. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Big T is right about baby oil. You'll get a nasty burn that'll last for days.

Hembree likes this.
  11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Whatever you do don't use the crunchy..just sayin' ...

Terry, Hembree, BigT and 1 other person like this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've used hair conditioner and (on another occasion) unlathered shampoo and both work reasonably well in a pinch. I've never used hand/body lotion tho. I'd imagine the thicker stuff would clog your razor pretty nicely.

Hembree likes this.
  13. Robert Voss

Robert Voss Well-Known Member

Better than brushing your teeth with shampoo

Hembree and swarden43 like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Creamy or Chunky?
    [​IMG]

Terry, Hembree and Hanzo like this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Well, it would seem that the majority concensus is against using a body lotion to shave with... I've never used a lotion myself like that even when I was using carts and canned goo....However it occurs to me that when we talk about shaving the phrase YMMV comes up alot...So in that light I'd say give it a try "CAREFULLY"...I doubt you'll cut your face off, at worst it will probably just wind up being a waste of time...So give it an honest try and give us a review,so we can all learn something....:)

Hembree likes this.
  16. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I'm not using the whitening kind, I have enough gray already.

Hembree, BamaT and swarden43 like this.
  17. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

That realllly doesn't look like peanut butter. Thank goodness for context. :sick007:

Hembree likes this.
  18. pitdoug1998

pitdoug1998 New Member

I’ve been shaving with Lubriderm lotion or coconut oil for over 10 years. Since I switched I’ve NEVER had an ingrown hair or razor burn. It doesn’t matter if I’m using a multi blade cartridge or my safety razor. I’ve turned a number of friends onto it and not ONE has gone back to soap of whatever kind. Sure I still do the brush with Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream when time allows. I love having to focus, clears the mind, YMMV.

Hell, give it whirl. You save A LOT of time and money.

Hembree likes this.
  19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I like your spirit!

Terry likes this.
  20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I suppose that will work for some, but if you have tender skin and whiskers like steel wire....
    I use a nice slippery soap, Stirling or PAA seems to do the trick. I also skin lather for a few minutes to get the hair soaked and the soap worked up well, even after a shower. Then I use a very sharp blade, Feather (new), and an open comb razor that will skin a bear (if a bear needs it).
    IF I do 3 passes, it takes 2 new blades, one for the first pass and one for passes 2 and 3. I can normally use those two blades to shave the old gord, but not always, hence 3 new Feather blades per shave. I shave every day, face and head. Thinking about stock in Feather blades.

Anyway, I've tried all sorts of oil, body/hand lotion, cream rince. Probably the only things I haven't tried is lithium grease, motor oil, 3 in one oil and WD40.

I always come back to good prep, good soap, and efficiant razors with extra sharp blades.
    I have always envied those who could get a good shave with cheap dull blades and a splash of water.
    My boss pulled out a cart razor one day and touched up at his desk before a gig, he is a base player. He didn't even use water!!!!
    Are you kidding me! No way I could do that! Razor burn from HE#$....
    O M G!
    So, "your milage may very" is oh so true!
    IF it works for you' great!!
    Wish it did for me too.....
    It took a while for me to figure this out, bout a year, but that's where I'm at, like it or not.
    Good luck!
    I pullin for ya!
    tp

brit likes this.